-   -   Application menu in 12.04 LTS (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/681244-application-menu-12-04-lts.html)

Linda 07-08-2012 12:56 PM

Application menu in 12.04 LTS

I just installed 12.04 LTS to play with. I was wondering if
there is a way to access an application menu like you have
had in the past or do you have to change desktops to do so?

Thanks
Linda

squareyes 07-08-2012 01:21 PM

Application menu in 12.04 LTS

I just installed 12.04 LTS to play with. I was wondering if there is a
way to access an application menu like you have had in the past or do
you have to change desktops to do so?

Thanks
Linda

Hi Linda,
try the Dash icon (Ubuntu symbol top left)
Hope that helps
Take care
Winton

Ryan Gauger 07-08-2012 03:24 PM

On Jul 8, 2012, at 8:56 AM, Linda <haniganwork@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I just installed 12.04 LTS to play with. I was wondering if there is a way to access an application menu like you have had in the past or do you have to change desktops to do so?
> Thanks
> Linda

You would need to install the package, "gnome-shell" to use it. This installs both GNOME Shell, and GNOME Classic. There is a way to install just the fallback session (classic), but I would install it along with Shell, so you can try out GNOME Shell. Thanks!

---Ryan

Florian Diesch 07-08-2012 03:47 PM

Linda <haniganwork@earthlink.net> writes:

> I just installed 12.04 LTS to play with. I was wondering if there is a
> way to access an application menu like you have had in the past or do
> you have to change desktops to do so?

Have a look at Classicmenu-Indicator
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/classicmenu-indicator/>

Florian
--
Arronax - create and modify application starters on your desktop and
elsewhere

Norman Silverstone 07-08-2012 04:58 PM

On 08/07/12 13:56, Linda wrote:

I just installed 12.04 LTS to play with. I was wondering if there is a
way to access an application menu like you have had in the past or do
you have to change desktops to do so?
Thanks
Linda

I suggest you consider using Xubuntu,

Norman

Ric Moore 07-08-2012 05:37 PM

On 07/08/2012 12:58 PM, Norman Silverstone wrote:

On 08/07/12 13:56, Linda wrote:

I just installed 12.04 LTS to play with. I was wondering if there is a
way to access an application menu like you have had in the past or do
you have to change desktops to do so?
Thanks
Linda

I suggest you consider using Xubuntu,

She could just install the XFCE desktop without a complete re-install. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Colin Law 07-08-2012 08:10 PM

On 8 July 2012 13:56, Linda <haniganwork@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I just installed 12.04 LTS to play with. I was wondering if there is a way
> to access an application menu like you have had in the past or do you have
> to change desktops to do so?

I presume you wish to do this because you do not like Unity. If so
then I urge you first to give it a good go. Run with it for a couple
of weeks before making a decision. Many find it excellent once they
get used to it.

Is there something in particular that you do not know how to do or do
not like the way you have to do it?

Colin

Linda 07-08-2012 08:47 PM

On 07/08/2012 03:10 PM, Colin Law wrote:

On 8 July 2012 13:56, Linda <haniganwork@earthlink.net> wrote:

I just installed 12.04 LTS to play with. I was wondering if there is a way
to access an application menu like you have had in the past or do you have
to change desktops to do so?

I presume you wish to do this because you do not like Unity. If so
then I urge you first to give it a good go. Run with it for a couple
of weeks before making a decision. Many find it excellent once they
get used to it.

Is there something in particular that you do not know how to do or do
not like the way you have to do it?

Colin

My kids just have no idea how to find the games they play on
that computer since they can no longer just choose them from
a menu plus they wanted to see what new games installed by
default before they decide what is missing that they want me
to install for them.
I actually went with the suggestion to install xfce. I
used to run it with red hat years ago. It actually is a good
solution for this computer as it is an older computer and
unity was pretty slow. This is mostly my chance to play
around with 12.04 LTS before I install this winter on
business computers.

Linda

Colin Law 07-08-2012 09:22 PM

On 8 July 2012 21:47, Linda <haniganwork@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 07/08/2012 03:10 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 8 July 2012 13:56, Linda <haniganwork@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I just installed 12.04 LTS to play with. I was wondering if there is a
>>> way
>>> to access an application menu like you have had in the past or do you
>>> have
>>> to change desktops to do so?
>>
>> I presume you wish to do this because you do not like Unity. If so
>> then I urge you first to give it a good go. Run with it for a couple
>> of weeks before making a decision. Many find it excellent once they
>> get used to it.
>>
>> Is there something in particular that you do not know how to do or do
>> not like the way you have to do it?
>>
>> Colin
>>
> My kids just have no idea how to find the games they play on that computer
> since they can no longer just choose them from a menu plus they wanted to
> see what new games installed by default before they decide what is missing
> that they want me to install for them.
> I actually went with the suggestion to install xfce. I used to run it with
> red hat years ago. It actually is a good solution for this computer as it is
> an older computer and unity was pretty slow. This is mostly my chance to
> play around with 12.04 LTS before I install this winter on business
> computers.

Too late for Linda, apparently, but for anyone else with this problem
just bring up the Dash by hitting Windows key or clicking the ubuntu
icon at top of launcher then type a few letters of the application or
game you want, if there is anything matching it will appear and can
then be clicked. To see which games are installed open the
Applications Lens by clicking the second icon along at the bottom of
the Dash, the thing with three vertical bars, no idea what it is
supposed to be, then click on Filter at the top right and select
Games.

To find applications that can be downloaded run the Ubuntu Software
Centre (as described above, open the dash and start typing ubuntu
software centre) then to select just games click on Games in the left
category list.

The dash will also find recent files that have been opened which can
be quicker than opening the application and then finding the file.

Colin