Old 07-07-2012, 10:22 PM
mischa falkenburg

Default Bring Ubuntu To LIFE!...please

Hello All,

Recently I was forced to upgrade to a new motherboard. OK, that came
with a disk for installing the XP drivers. XP does all that it usually does.

Ubuntu was installed from within Windows, but that disk didn't "do"
anything for it. It works fine, but it doesn't see the network and can't
get online. We're running 10.04.4, and if the solution is to use the
disk for recovery, at what point should the disk engage - when the boot
choice is made in GRUB?

Thanks-in-advance,
Mischa

Old 07-08-2012, 07:39 AM
Colin Law

On 7 July 2012 23:22, mischa falkenburg
<because_productions@myfairpoint.net> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Recently I was forced to upgrade to a new motherboard. OK, that came with a
> disk for installing the XP drivers. XP does all that it usually does.
>
> Ubuntu was installed from within Windows, but that disk didn't "do" anything
> for it. It works fine, but it doesn't see the network and can't get online.
> We're running 10.04.4, and if the solution is to use the disk for recovery,
> at what point should the disk engage - when the boot choice is made in GRUB?

Not sure what you mean. Are you trying to boot off the CD? In which
case it should never get to the grub boot options as it should boot
directly from the CD without accessing the hard disc at all. Check in
the BIOS to make sure that you have boot from CD as the first option
(or at least above boot from hard disc).

Colin

Old 07-08-2012, 10:39 AM
mischa falkenburg

[...]

Sorry for the misunderstanding...

The boot process is fine. In GRUB I have the choice for either OS.

The question is, in order for Ubuntu to work, ie. get online, it "needs
to know" - just like Windows did - that there is new hardware.

Should I just use the Recovery/Rescue option in GRUB to do this, or
something else?

M.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Colin Law

On 8 July 2012 11:39, mischa falkenburg
<because_productions@myfairpoint.net> wrote:
> On 07/08/2012 03:39 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 7 July 2012 23:22, mischa falkenburg
>> <because_productions@myfairpoint.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> Recently I was forced to upgrade to a new motherboard. OK, that came with
>>> disk for installing the XP drivers. XP does all that it usually does.
>>>
>>> Ubuntu was installed from within Windows, but that disk didn't "do"
>>> anything
>>> for it. It works fine, but it doesn't see the network and can't get
>>> online.
>>> We're running 10.04.4, and if the solution is to use the disk for
>>> recovery,
>>> at what point should the disk engage - when the boot choice is made in
>>> GRUB?
>>
>> Not sure what you mean. Are you trying to boot off the CD? In which
>> case it should never get to the grub boot options as it should boot
>> directly from the CD without accessing the hard disc at all. Check in
>> the BIOS to make sure that you have boot from CD as the first option
>> (or at least above boot from hard disc).
>>
>> Colin
>>
>>> Thanks-in-advance,
>>> Mischa
>>>

>>> --
>
> Sorry for the misunderstanding...
>
> The boot process is fine. In GRUB I have the choice for either OS.
>
> The question is, in order for Ubuntu to work, ie. get online, it "needs to
> know" - just like Windows did - that there is new hardware.

It should work it out for itself generally, unless you have unusual
hardware. Are you running a proper dual boot system or running wubi?
Are you trying to connect by wire or wifi?

These may be helpful
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/internet/C/troubleshooting-lan.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessTroubleShootingGuide

Colin

Old 07-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Ryan Gauger

On Jul 7, 2012, at 6:22 PM, mischa falkenburg <because_productions@myfairpoint.net> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Recently I was forced to upgrade to a new motherboard. OK, that came with a disk for installing the XP drivers. XP does all that it usually does.
>
> Ubuntu was installed from within Windows, but that disk didn't "do" anything for it. It works fine, but it doesn't see the network and can't get online. We're running 10.04.4, and if the solution is to use the disk for recovery, at what point should the disk engage - when the boot choice is made in GRUB?
>
> Thanks-in-advance,
> Mischa

Hello,

This sounds like a software-related issue. You might try upgrading to a newer release, and see if that works. It might sound strange now, but sometimes simply upgrading to a newer release works. It may also be that drivers are not installed for your modem. You might try either upgrading to a newer Ubuntu release, maybe newer Ubuntu releases either support your modem or automatically install them, or you could try manually searching for drivers online, and installing them that way. Either way you do it, you will still need to upgrade Ubuntu after support is dropped for 10.04.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:58 PM
mischa falkenburg

[...]

This is WUBI and by wire.

M.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:00 PM
mischa falkenburg

[...]

Ahh, but I was trying to hold-out until at least 5/13 ;-)

Currently downloading 12.04LTS on another machine so I can burn the .iso
to disk.

M.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Steven Susbauer