Old 07-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Ryan Gauger

Default Bring Ubuntu To LIFE!...please

On Jul 8, 2012, at 2:00 PM, mischa falkenburg <because_productions@myfairpoint.net> wrote:

> On 07/08/2012 11:18 AM, Ryan Gauger wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 7, 2012, at 6:22 PM, mischa falkenburg <because_productions@myfairpoint.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> Recently I was forced to upgrade to a new motherboard. OK, that came with a disk for installing the XP drivers. XP does all that it usually does.
>>>
>>> Ubuntu was installed from within Windows, but that disk didn't "do" anything for it. It works fine, but it doesn't see the network and can't get online. We're running 10.04.4, and if the solution is to use the disk for recovery, at what point should the disk engage - when the boot choice is made in GRUB?
>>>
>>> Thanks-in-advance,
>>> Mischa
>>>

>>> --
>> Hello,
>>
>> This sounds like a software-related issue. You might try upgrading to a newer release, and see if that works. It might sound strange now, but sometimes simply upgrading to a newer release works. It may also be that drivers are not installed for your modem. You might try either upgrading to a newer Ubuntu release, maybe newer Ubuntu releases either support your modem or automatically install them, or you could try manually searching for drivers online, and installing them that way. Either way you do it, you will still need to upgrade Ubuntu after support is dropped for 10.04.
> Ahh, but I was trying to hold-out until at least 5/13 ;-)
>
> Currently downloading 12.04LTS on another machine so I can burn the .iso to disk.
>
> M.

I know, it's hard giving up an Ubuntu version you love! Windows 7 on my laptop won't find any wifi networks, while Windows 8 Release Preview will. That's what gave me the idea that that could be the issue.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:40 AM
mischa falkenburg

On 07/08/2012 05:15 PM, Ryan Gauger wrote:

[...]

This system has 2 hard drives, and 12.04 LTS is installed on the 1st one
(where an older version of UbuntuStudio used to be).

The 10.04 and XP are on the 2nd drive.

When I boot, there is an Error 15 from GRUB, so something is obviously
worng here...

Restarting, I can select to boot from the 2nd drive, and there GRUB
works fine: the choice can be made for any of the 3 OS's.

But finding newer drivers would no doubt make all this a bit smoother.

M.