Old 07-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Nolan

Default Dangers of remove command

Danger.. `rm*' and not verifying backups.

http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/05/pixars-toy-story-2-was-nearly-lost.html
--
Nolan Cooper
Linux User: 190812

Old 07-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Gökhan Sarı

Awesome! You've just made my day.

Thanks

Old 07-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

On 07/07/2012 10:48, Nolan wrote:
> Danger.. `rm*' and not verifying backups.
>
> http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/05/pixars-toy-story-2-was-nearly-lost.html

When I was a system administrator, ages ago, I was doing some cleaning
up on the system.

So I typed (as root) : rm -rf /tmp/*

Unfortunately, that's what I *THOUGH* I had typed.

What I actually typed was : rm -rf /tmp /*

(note the somewhat inconspicious space character between /tmp and /*)

After a few long seconds of me thinking "Gosh, that's a LOT of files in
/tmp to delete" I re-read the screen again... and realized the mistake.

By that time, /bin, /etc, were all gone. And /usr was mostly in shreds
as well.

That was THE only machine that the whole branch was running on (at the
time, you could run 20 people on a single desk-side machine, in my case
a Data General AViiON running DG-UX).

And to re-install the full machine, it was about 15 different QIC-150
tapes to individually re-install. Fortunately, home directories were not
touched.

Learned my lesson. Proof-read every single potentially destructive
command you type... twice.

Gilles.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Ric Moore

Danger.. `rm*' and not verifying backups.

http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/05/pixars-toy-story-2-was-nearly-lost.html

When I was a system administrator, ages ago, I was doing some cleaning
up on the system.

I love it. Been there, done that, got the t shirt.

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 07-08-2012, 04:15 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 07/07/2012 10:48, Nolan wrote:
>>>
>>> Danger.. `rm*' and not verifying backups.
>>>

>>> http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/05/pixars-toy-story-2-was-nearly-lost.html
>>

>> When I was a system administrator, ages ago, I was doing some cleaning
>> up on the system.
>

> I love it. Been there, done that, got the t shirt.

<moderation>
This is not a forum. It's a list for tech supoort. Tell your
anecdotes elsewhere.
</moderation>

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 07-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Ric Moore

Danger.. `rm*' and not verifying backups.

http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/05/pixars-toy-story-2-was-nearly-lost.html

When I was a system administrator, ages ago, I was doing some cleaning
up on the system.

I love it. Been there, done that, got the t shirt.

<moderation>
This is not a forum. It's a list for tech supoort. Tell your
anecdotes elsewhere.
</moderation>

At least I wasn't top posting, or sending HTML. Plus, exercising care
when using the rm command is a good tip for newbies. Admitting that
anyone can accidentally do that, is also a good heads up for new users.
I wouldn't readily classify that as an "anecdote". Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 07-08-2012, 09:58 PM
chris

On Sun, 2012-07-08 at 14:18 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:

> >> I love it. Been there, done that, got the t shirt.
> >
> > <moderation>
> > This is not a forum. It's a list for tech supoort. Tell your
> > anecdotes elsewhere.
> > </moderation>
>
> At least I wasn't top posting, or sending HTML. Plus, exercising care
> when using the rm command is a good tip for newbies. Admitting that
> anyone can accidentally do that, is also a good heads up for new users.
> I wouldn't readily classify that as an "anecdote". Ric

> http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

+1

Old arsehole's trick is to tell newbies to solve there problem by rm ./
I know several people who have had that one pulled on them.