Old 07-04-2012, 08:09 AM
"G. "

Default finding files by date

Is there is gui method for finding files by date in Ubuntu 12? I can
not find same in software center. I can find some good programs for
finding by name and location. There are commands for doing this and
also searching by size but not by date that I can find. Is finding by
date just not possible>

thanks

garyk

Old 07-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Krzysztof Mitko

W dniu 04.07.2012 10:09, G. pisze:
> Is there is gui method for finding files by date in Ubuntu 12? I can
> not find same in software center. I can find some good programs for
> finding by name and location. There are commands for doing this and
> also searching by size but not by date that I can find. Is finding by
> date just not possible>

I use recall lens, it has file search by date (among many other things).

<http://www.webupd8.org/2012/03/recoll-lens-full-text-search-unity-lens.html>

You will have to run indexing first, which can take a long time. The
search syntax is here:

<http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/recoll/usermanual/rcl.search.lang.html>

--
Best regards,
Krzysztof Mitko

Old 07-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Kaj Haulrich

Is there is gui method for finding files by date in Ubuntu 12? I can
not find same in software center. I can find some good programs for
finding by name and location. There are commands for doing this and
also searching by size but not by date that I can find. Is finding by
date just not possible>

I use recall lens, it has file search by date (among many other things).

<http://www.webupd8.org/2012/03/recoll-lens-full-text-search-unity-lens.html>

You will have to run indexing first, which can take a long time. The
search syntax is here:

<http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/recoll/usermanual/rcl.search.lang.html>

The Dolphin file manager can sort files in a directory by date, name,
size, tags, type, rating, comment etc... Just 'sudo apt get install
dolphin'. It will pull some KDE dependencies, but no big deal.

HTH
Kaj Haulrich.
--
--- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
--------- Running Linux Kubuntu 12.10 ---------

Old 07-05-2012, 07:07 AM
Colin Law

On 4 July 2012 21:56, Kaj Haulrich <kaj.haulrich@adslhome.dk> wrote:
> On 07/04/2012 09:57 PM, Krzysztof Mitko wrote:
>>
>> W dniu 04.07.2012 10:09, G. pisze:
>>>
>>> Is there is gui method for finding files by date in Ubuntu 12? I can
>>> not find same in software center. I can find some good programs for
>>> finding by name and location. There are commands for doing this and
>>> also searching by size but not by date that I can find. Is finding by
>>> date just not possible>
>>

>> I use recall lens, it has file search by date (among many other things).
>>

>> <http://www.webupd8.org/2012/03/recoll-lens-full-text-search-unity-lens.html>
>>
>> You will have to run indexing first, which can take a long time. The
>> search syntax is here:
>>
>> <http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/recoll/usermanual/rcl.search.lang.html>
>>

> The Dolphin file manager can sort files in a directory by date, name, size,
> tags, type, rating, comment etc... Just 'sudo apt get install dolphin'. It
> will pull some KDE dependencies, but no big deal.

Nautilus can do that too, just by clicking on the column headings in
list view. I think the OP's issue is that he wants to search across
directories.

Colin

Old 07-06-2012, 05:10 AM
"G. "

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 4 July 2012 21:56, Kaj Haulrich <kaj.haulrich@adslhome.dk> wrote:

>>> I use recall lens, it has file search by date (among many other things).
>>>

>>> <http://www.webupd8.org/2012/03/recoll-lens-full-text-search-unity-lens.html>
>>>
>>> You will have to run indexing first, which can take a long time. The
>>> search syntax is here:
>>>
>>> <http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/recoll/usermanual/rcl.search.lang.html>
>>>

>> The Dolphin file manager can sort files in a directory by date, name, size,
>> tags, type, rating, comment etc... Just 'sudo apt get install dolphin'. It
>> will pull some KDE dependencies, but no big deal.
>
> Nautilus can do that too, just by clicking on the column headings in
> list view. I think the OP's issue is that he wants to search across
> directories.
>
> Colin

Right Collin. Say I want to run a backup manually of just recent
files, say since June 1. I want to be able to search for all files
with a creation or modification date of say >= 06/01/2012.

Thanks for the other suggestions. Will check them out.

gary

Old 07-06-2012, 02:18 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 10:10 PM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> The Dolphin file manager can sort files in a directory by date, name, size,
>>> tags, type, rating, comment etc... Just 'sudo apt get install dolphin'. It
>>> will pull some KDE dependencies, but no big deal.
>>
>> Nautilus can do that too, just by clicking on the column headings in
>> list view. I think the OP's issue is that he wants to search across
>> directories.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> Right Collin. Say I want to run a backup manually of just recent
> files, say since June 1. I want to be able to search for all files
> with a creation or modification date of say >= 06/01/2012.
>
> Thanks for the other suggestions. Will check them out.

You could arrange for files to be timestamped at the edge of the date
range you want (use the touch(1) command and its --date option), and
use the find(1) command with the -newer test. This would give a list
of the pathnames that matched. Since the test can be negated, you can
get a a range, newer, or older files as you like.

++kevin
--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD