-   -   Wubi installer vs live CD (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/679983-wubi-installer-vs-live-cd.html)

Jared Norris 07-04-2012 07:55 AM

Wubi installer vs live CD

On 4 July 2012 15:14, Nick Bikkal <29.whitesnake@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a question about the quality of installation. I installed Ubuntu
> 12.04 using wubi installer, through Windows XP. Many people suggested using
> a live CD. Is there any difference installing it one way or another? I now
> have an option - here in Japan - to get a live CD to get a live CD by
> getting a magazine. I'm going to suppose it's a standard Ubuntu installation
> in which I can choose English in the first screen.
>
> Any suggestions or recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Nick

I hate to say it but I've never had much luck with Wubi. If you're
ever going to use it as something other than "lets see what this does"
then I would really suggest that you set up a partition and do a real
install using the dual boot instructions [1]. Even if you're going to
use it as "lets just see what this does" I'd suggest a persistent
liveusb instead of Wubi.

Just recently I've had to spend days trying to recover a file system
after only finding out half way through the process it was installed
via Wubi. Granted, it wouldn't have taken this long had I known about
it to start with. In my experience though, adding another layer of
complexity to an issue is generally not the best way of teaching
people new things in my opinion.

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris

Tim Frost 07-04-2012 08:15 AM

Wubi installer vs live CD

Nick,

On Wed, 2012-07-04 at 14:14 +0900, Nick Bikkal wrote:
> I have a question about the quality of installation. I installed Ubuntu
> 12.04 using wubi installer, through Windows XP. Many people suggested
> using a live CD. Is there any difference installing it one way or
> another?
There is a big difference:

wubi installs Ubuntu (or any other supported distribution) as a Windows
application - see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide/ for more
information about wubi

booting from an Ubuntu CD (live or alternate) will allow you to
re-partition the disk, and install the linux distribution in its own
partition.

> I now have an option - here in Japan - to get a live CD to get
> a live CD by getting a magazine. I'm going to suppose it's a standard
> Ubuntu installation in which I can choose English in the first screen.
>
> Any suggestions or recommendations?

You need to make your own decision:
- wubi lets you run windows and fire up Ubuntu as a windows app
- installation from a CD means you have to reboot every time you want to
switch OS

There is a third option, which is to install VMware, virtualbox or any
other suppported virtualisation software in your main OS, and install
the other OS in a virtual machine. This allows you to run your
preferred OS, but fire up the other as required, without dual-booting,
but with the level of OS isolation that is provided by the
virtualisation product. There are constraints with this for 64-bit
operating systems, because
* some CPUS don't support virtualisation of a 64-bit OS
* most (all?) software won't support a 64-bit guest in a 32-bit host

> Thanks,
>
> --
> Nick
>
> Sent from Windows XP on Duo Core

I run Ubuntu, and use VMware Workstation when I need/want to run any
other OS (linux or windows)

Hope this helps

Tim

--
Tim Frost <timfrost@xtra.co.nz>

Colin Law 07-04-2012 08:27 AM

Wubi installer vs live CD

On 4 July 2012 06:14, Nick Bikkal <29.whitesnake@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a question about the quality of installation. I installed Ubuntu
> 12.04 using wubi installer, through Windows XP. Many people suggested using
> a live CD. Is there any difference installing it one way or another? I now
> have an option - here in Japan - to get a live CD to get a live CD by
> getting a magazine. I'm going to suppose it's a standard Ubuntu installation
> in which I can choose English in the first screen.

As suggested by others I think wubi is best only for a try-out install.

You can download the live cd image from
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop and then burn a CD or a USB
stick to boot from that.

Colin

Nils Kassube 07-04-2012 08:41 AM

Wubi installer vs live CD

Tim Frost wrote:
> - wubi lets you run windows and fire up Ubuntu as a windows app
> - installation from a CD means you have to reboot every time you want
> to switch OS

Not exactly (unless things have changed recently). With Wubi you install
Ubuntu on the Windows partition and you start it via the Windows boot
loader. However it is not run as a Windows application, it is merely
another way of a dual boot system (Windows boot loader instead of GRUB).
IMHO there is only one problem with Wubi. The Ubuntu installation is on
a virtual partition, i.e. a big file on your Windows partition. If you
mess up your Windows partition (e.g. due to a virus) and you reinstall
Windows, you automatically loose your entire Ubuntu installation.

Nils

Colin Law 07-04-2012 08:45 AM

Wubi installer vs live CD

On 4 July 2012 09:41, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> Tim Frost wrote:
>> - wubi lets you run windows and fire up Ubuntu as a windows app
>> - installation from a CD means you have to reboot every time you want
>> to switch OS
>
> Not exactly (unless things have changed recently). With Wubi you install
> Ubuntu on the Windows partition and you start it via the Windows boot
> loader. However it is not run as a Windows application, it is merely
> another way of a dual boot system (Windows boot loader instead of GRUB).
> IMHO there is only one problem with Wubi. The Ubuntu installation is on
> a virtual partition, i.e. a big file on your Windows partition. If you
> mess up your Windows partition (e.g. due to a virus) and you reinstall
> Windows, you automatically loose your entire Ubuntu installation.

The particular issue I had was that I had a Windows crash and then my
wubi system would no longer boot. I assume it had corrupted the file
somehow.

Colin

Ryan Gauger 07-04-2012 04:14 PM

Wubi installer vs live CD

I like WUBI better than the live CD, because you don't need to do anything other than download the installer, then it basically installs by itself, after the user sets the amount of disk space and enters his/her preferred username/pass. But if you want to install Ubuntu separately as a whole other operating system, having nothing to do with Windows, you will need to use a live CD or DVD.

Ryan Gauger 07-04-2012 04:21 PM

Wubi installer vs live CD

I will add to that real quick: it is installed as a Windows app, but is loaded and run from the Windows boot loader. Ubuntu (if installed using WUBI) is uninstalled as a Windows app, just as it is installed.