Old 07-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Francesco Pudda

Default Lightdm doesn't star automatically

Hi all..

I admit that in the last times I have been working a bit with the pc, but I have neither eliminated anything nor done something that then I have undone.

In practice when I select ubuntu via grub, lightdm doesn't start automatically and I have to make it star by hand via tty1.

What I think is that I've done something after having worked with lightdm-simple-manager and gdm.

My original aim was to install gdm 2.2 on my Ubuntu 12.04 but I understood that wasn't a wise thing to do (I did nothing in fact)

So I tried to compile gdm 3.4: very bad idea. A lot of dependences whose many of them weren't in the repository either and I would have had to compile them too, dirting my computer with a lot of useless packages about which I know nothing.

Thus I download the version from repository (3.0.4), in the end it appears to me the window of choice of the login-manager. I chose gdm.

I note that it is equal to the gdm from ubuntu 9.10 on. I didn't like it so I uninstalled it, but at the end I still had gdm as default login manager so since I didn't know how to set lightdm again I re-installed gdm selecting this time lightdm as default login manager at the end of the installation. Then I uninstalled it again.

I downloaded thenlightdm-simple-manager (the last version) but I realized that it was only for the version of light present in ubuntu 11.10. I checked the python script I noted that it modified a file in /etc/lightd that was not present in Ubuntu 12.04. I understood that lightdm keep the settings in another directory.

So, after all this I had the problem quoted a while ago. Here what I did to try to solve the problem:

sudo apt-get purge lightdm
sudo apt-get install lightdm indicator-session-gtk2

*sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
sudo update-initramfs -k all -t

sudo update-grub

I checked these file. It seemed to me there wasn't anything bad.
*

cat /etc/default/grub

cat /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

cat /etc/lihtdm/users.conf

Thank you

Old 07-04-2012, 12:17 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Jul 3, 2012 12:02 PM, "Francesco Pudda" <pfrank995@gmail.com> wrote:

> :

> > So, after all this I had the problem quoted a while ago. Here what I did to try to solve the problem:

> >> sudo apt-get purge lightdm

> >> sudo apt-get install lightdm indicator-session-gtk2

> >> *sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

> >> sudo update-initramfs -k all -t

> >> sudo update-grub

> > I checked these file. It seemed to me there wasn't anything bad.

> >> cat /etc/default/grub

> >> cat /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

> >> cat /etc/lihtdm/users.conf

I have seen this (lightdm killed during boot) too, but I'm not clear:

Did the above sequence solve your problem?

MR

Old 07-04-2012, 09:57 AM

Not at all. I have been having this problem since a few weeks.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:49 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Jul 4, 2012 2:57 AM, <pfrank995@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not at all. I have been having this problem since a few weeks.

This works for me, courtesy of Joshua on the Xubuntu list:

Add the following line to your /etc/rc.local before the "exit 0" line:

service lightdm restart

Good luck.

MR