Old 07-03-2012, 06:39 PM
HaPK

Default Linux freezes in Acer aspire one

Hey everyone,

I'm having a very weird issue with a new computer.

I recently bought an Acer aspire one 720 for my mom. the people who sold it to me installed Windows 7 on a partition and left some free space so that I could install some other distro on it.

I tried several different distros (mint, fedora, zorin, archbang, and ultimately ubuntu) and they all worked fine on their live versions. lastly decided to install Linux mint with KDE, so that I'd try the netbook plasma interface on that small 11.6 inch screen. initially it worked fine, but then the updates made gtk based applications to look bad and I couldn't make it look fine again; also the desktop lacks some important interaction and accessibility features.

So I decided to install ubuntu in it. once I tried installing ubuntu, after* the partitioning table step, the installer popped up an error saying that it would be impossible to install and that this was caused by a faulty CD or DVD medium. Obviously I was installing from a pen drive so I found this error message to be weird. Anyway, I went to wipe the pen drive and reinstall the distros on it, I use multi system, and tried this time.

When the live CD loaded it looked fine, but when I connected to the wireless network the computer froze. I tried a second time and it was the same thing, it froze right when trying to connect to the network. I tried with mint and the same happened. I even tried with fedora and the same, freezing right when trying to connect. even when I turn off and on the wireless, with the fn+F3 key combination, the desktop freezes. I also tried with a different pen drive and using ubuntu's boot installer and the same still happened.

I was able to install ubuntu in it, but whenever I log in the desktop freezes.

when I log in into Windows everything works fine, even the wireless. I don't know what happened, the only weird operation I did was resize the Windows partition, using mint KDE's installer.

the only thing I can conclude here is that there's something in the hardware of the computer that's making Linux freeze.

I'd appreciate any help you can give me with this.

Thanks.

--

Hazan Pérez

Twisto Creative

Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Tommy Trussell

[...]

I cannot find that exact model Acer (are you sure it's a model "720"?) but apparently some of the Acer models use the ath9k driver and some freeze under certain conditions. You listed some specific distros that did and didn't work, but the other distros may use a different version of the driver. (Could be newer OR older.)

Here is one of several results from a Google search.*
http://askubuntu.com/questions/38043/system-freeze-caused-by-ath9k-driver

You might want to check to find the EXACT model information of your laptop and search for it. There may be some more up-to-date recommendations and workarounds.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:49 AM
HaPK

2012/7/3 Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 1:39 PM, HaPK <hapk02@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I recently bought an Acer aspire one 720 for my mom. the people who sold
>> it to me installed Windows 7 on a partition and left some free space so that
>> I could install some other distro on it.
>>
>> I tried several different distros (mint, fedora, zorin, archbang, and
>> ultimately ubuntu) and they all worked fine on their live versions. lastly
>> decided to install Linux mint with KDE, so that I'd try the netbook plasma
>> interface on that small 11.6 inch screen. initially it worked fine, but then
>> the updates made gtk based applications to look bad and I couldn't make it
>> look fine again; also the desktop lacks some important interaction and
>> accessibility features.
>>
>> So I decided to install ubuntu in it. once I tried installing ubuntu,
>> after the partitioning table step, the installer popped up an error saying
>> that it would be impossible to install and that this was caused by a faulty
>> CD or DVD medium. Obviously I was installing from a pen drive so I found
>> this error message to be weird. Anyway, I went to wipe the pen drive and
>> reinstall the distros on it, I use multi system, and tried this time.
>>
>> When the live CD loaded it looked fine, but when I connected to the
>> wireless network the computer froze. I tried a second time and it was the
>> same thing, it froze right when trying to connect to the network.
>

> I cannot find that exact model Acer (are you sure it's a model "720"?) but
> apparently some of the Acer models use the ath9k driver and some freeze
> under certain conditions. You listed some specific distros that did and
> didn't work, but the other distros may use a different version of the
> driver. (Could be newer OR older.)
>
> Here is one of several results from a Google search.
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/38043/system-freeze-caused-by-ath9k-driver
>
> You might want to check to find the EXACT model information of your laptop
> and search for it. There may be some more up-to-date recommendations and
> workarounds.

Oh, you are right, it's actually a 722 model, not a 720. I followed
the second suggestion on the link you shared and it turns out it
worked! I'm writing this right now from said computer. Just to
summarize: In the BIOS menu, put net start as the first item in the
boot menu, then reboot. It's weird, apparently the BIOS has to load
it's built-in net driver so that when the kernel loads it can load
correctly the ath9k driver...

Now what bothers me is that all the distros I tried in their live
versions, at first, worked fine, it was later that this problem
appeared...

This workaround worked, now to find a real fix

--
HaPK<-----Hazan Perez Cardona