-   -   Bump - Remmina Configuration (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/679369-bump-remmina-configuration.html)

Patton Echols 07-02-2012 03:46 PM

Bump - Remmina Configuration

Anyone using Remmina to access Win XP over ssh? I was hoping to discuss
the following scenario:

On 06/29/2012 09:36 AM, Patton Echols wrote:
When I remote connect to my office (WinXP), I have been using a script
that connects using rdesktop over ssh tunnel. It works, but there are
some papercut issues I have not been able to resolve. Now that my
laptop is upgraded to 12.04, I wanted to try out remmina and see if I
like it.

The XP desktop is expecting an ssh connection with a stored public
key. I don't want to change that end. but I am having trouble
figuring out what to put where in the remmina gui. I'd appreciate any
guidance. The script below.

#! /bin/bash

# ssh compress, redirect /dev/null, no remote console <host>
<redirect> &=background

ssh -CnN -p 12345 patton@my.domain.com -L 3390:localhost:3389 &

#capture PID of ssh

PID=$!

#give a few seconds for the process to be set up

sleep 7

#start remote desktop

rdesktop -fzE -a 16 localhost:3390

# kill the ssh process after remote disconnects

echo "killing $PID"

kill $PID

echo "done, see you next time"

--
Patton Echols
M. Patton Echols, PC

NoOp 07-03-2012 02:44 AM

On 07/02/2012 08:46 AM, Patton Echols wrote:
> Anyone using Remmina to access Win XP over ssh? I was hoping to discuss
> the following scenario:
>
> On 06/29/2012 09:36 AM, Patton Echols wrote:
>> When I remote connect to my office (WinXP), I have been using a script
>> that connects using rdesktop over ssh tunnel. It works, but there are
>> some papercut issues I have not been able to resolve. Now that my
>> laptop is upgraded to 12.04, I wanted to try out remmina and see if I
>> like it.
>>
>> The XP desktop is expecting an ssh connection with a stored public
>> key. I don't want to change that end. but I am having trouble
>> figuring out what to put where in the remmina gui. I'd appreciate any
>> guidance. The script below.

Not sure if this will help, but FWIW:

I just set up openssh on a WinXP, authorized port 22 on the Windows
Firewall, and then used remmina to use RDP via ssh (password) to review
& control the WinXP desktop from Ubuntu 11.04 and 12.04. Works w/o issue.

Note: I _only_ only have 22 open for ssh on the Windows Firewall
Exceptions tab - I do _not_ have the ports for 'Remote Desktop' and
'Remote Assistance' open as they are not needed with an ssh tunnel.

To set up my remmina RDP session:
- New Connection
Basic Tab:
- Server: <IP address of the WinXP machine>
o Use Window size
- Quality: Poor (fastest) (I'm testing via a LAN)
Advanced Tab:
- Quality: Poor (fastest)
SSH Tab:
- Enable SSH Tunnel
o Same server at port 22
- User name: <valid WinXP username>
o Password (I reckon in your case you'd check 'Public key')
Connect

No clue regarding your script - sorry.

Patton Echols 07-03-2012 05:02 PM

[...]

Ok, thanks for the try. That's basically what I had, with change for
the custom port. I think I must be missing some detail on the server
side. I'm going to have to trouble shoot when I am sitting next to it.

NoOp 07-03-2012 11:03 PM

On 07/03/2012 10:02 AM, Patton Echols wrote:
> On 07/02/2012 07:44 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> To set up my remmina RDP session:
>> - New Connection
>> Basic Tab:
>> - Server: <IP address of the WinXP machine>
>> o Use Window size
>> - Quality: Poor (fastest) (I'm testing via a LAN)
>> Advanced Tab:
>> - Quality: Poor (fastest)
>> SSH Tab:
>> - Enable SSH Tunnel
>> o Same server at port 22
>> - User name: <valid WinXP username>
>> o Password (I reckon in your case you'd check 'Public key')
>> Connect
>>
>> No clue regarding your script - sorry.
>>

> Ok, thanks for the try. That's basically what I had, with change for
> the custom port. I think I must be missing some detail on the server
> side. I'm going to have to trouble shoot when I am sitting next to it.

Are you getting any errors? I had remmina working fine, then I rebooted
the WinXP. OpenSSH on the WinXP was working just fine going out & on
loop, but ssh coming in was being dropped. Took me awhile to figure out
that Avast! AV on the WinXP machine was blocking the connection - even
from the terminal. So I turned off the malware settings in the Avast!
'Behavior Analysis', cleaned out the 'Sandbox', and afterwards the
connection worked just fine. If you give me a port number (you can email
me directly if you wish), I can see if I can replicate here. I have 3
WinXP VM's running on VMWare and 1 Win7 to test with.