Old 07-01-2012, 02:24 AM
Ric Moore

Default program launcher going wild

On 06/29/2012 03:40 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

Greetings all;

For the 2nd time I am going to have to reboot.

If I have a copy of firefox running, a click on an html link in an email
will hand the request off to firefox just fine.

But if firefox is not running, then whatever is in charge of handling such
link clicks tries to start at leasy 100 copies of konqueror, so I wind up
with a machine whose lower info bar has buttons from processes trying to
run lined up to as little as 1/8" wide, which it will do for 2-3 minutes
and then it will try to kill them all, which it will do for perhaps 5
seconds, but will eventually start fireing of another 100 or so copies,
none of which ever actually open a screen.

as root, killall konqueror, or killall neopmukservices is powerless to stop
it.

htop shows the cpu on a quad core phenom being pushed to as high as 90% on
all 4 cores, but the only way to stop it is to close down kmail cleanly and
reboot. Then spend 20 minutes getting all the other stuff I run here
started again.

Gene, using galternatives as we were talking about off-list, you can dig
into there and set your default browser in stone. Damn, you made me look
go look... x-server-browser. Click on that and then on the browser you
want set.

BUT!! With Thunderbird, it don't care. It still opens firefox, although
I picked Chrome to be my browser. Same might be with that kmail clinker.
It might ONLY open konquerer. You might be stuck like chuck until you
root around in it's innards in hopes that there is a text file you can
modify it's behavior with. I hate them both for the same reasons I don't
like KDE or Mint.

We're turning into GD Windows machines, slowly but surely. Bunch of
Linux Soup Nazi's are out there. "You VILL do chust waht I say do! No
fiddlin vif de innards!"

..sorry, that just kinda spilled out. I'm not in charge of what my brain
sends to my fingers. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 07-01-2012, 02:35 AM
Ric Moore