-   -   problems with algcmp.o when building open-fvs on 12.04 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/678311-problems-algcmp-o-when-building-open-fvs-12-04-a.html)

Jason Paul Joines 06-28-2012 11:49 PM

problems with algcmp.o when building open-fvs on 12.04

I'm using Kubuntu 12.04 on a Core i7 system and trying to build
open-fvs. It fails with the error:

/usr/bin/ld: algcmp.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.data' can not be
used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
algcmp.o: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I then tried with an Ubuntu 10.04.4 system which is a Xen guest and
reports the CPU as Xeon. The build was successful. The open-fvs
developers don't have access to an Ubuntu system. Any ideas as to why
ld would have a problem on the 12.04 system but not on the 10.04.4 system?

Jason

C de-Avillez 06-29-2012 09:44 PM

problems with algcmp.o when building open-fvs on 12.04

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:49:08 -0700
Jason Paul Joines <jason@joines.org> wrote:

> I'm using Kubuntu 12.04 on a Core i7 system and trying to build
> open-fvs. It fails with the error:

What sources did you use? Can you give me a link to them? Is there a
containing package in Ubuntu?

> /usr/bin/ld: algcmp.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.data' can not
> be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
> algcmp.o: could not read symbols: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> I then tried with an Ubuntu 10.04.4 system which is a Xen guest
> and reports the CPU as Xeon. The build was successful. The open-fvs
> developers don't have access to an Ubuntu system. Any ideas as to why
> ld would have a problem on the 12.04 system but not on the 10.04.4
> system?

Well, the whole build tools (gcc, ld, etc) changed. But, so far, it
sounds like you have a mix of shared and static code.

Cheers,

..C..

Jason Paul Joines 07-05-2012 04:34 AM

problems with algcmp.o when building open-fvs on 12.04

>> I'm using Kubuntu 12.04 on a Core i7 system and trying to build
>> open-fvs. It fails with the error:
> What sources did you use? Can you give me a link to them? Is there a
> containing package in Ubuntu?
>
>> /usr/bin/ld: algcmp.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.data' can not
>> be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
>> algcmp.o: could not read symbols: Bad value
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>
>> I then tried with an Ubuntu 10.04.4 system which is a Xen guest
>> and reports the CPU as Xeon. The build was successful. The open-fvs
>> developers don't have access to an Ubuntu system. Any ideas as to why
>> ld would have a problem on the 12.04 system but not on the 10.04.4
>> system?
>
> Well, the whole build tools (gcc, ld, etc) changed. But, so far, it
> sounds like you have a mix of shared and static code.
>
> Cheers,
>
> ..C..

There's no containing package. The project website is
http://code.google.com/p/open-fvs/ with build instructions at
http://code.google.com/p/open-fvs/wiki/FAQ. You can check out the
source code with:
"svn checkout http://open-fvs.googlecode.com/svn open-fvs"

Another open-fvs user had the same problems on a 10.04 system that I
have on the 12.04 system. The only difference I am aware of between
their 10.04 system and mine is that their system uses the server kernel
and mine uses a Xen guest kernel provided by my hosting service.

Jason