Old 06-27-2012, 05:46 AM

Default virus in 10.04

railvisa* <clarke17@dodo.com.au>
picked up a virus last year while using 8.04.
reformated hd, using another computer downloaded 10.04 to cd
loaded to HD, repartitioned HDs (using 2 HDs, 1 ubuntu, 1 msxp)
loaded programs, all OK. Loaded files from USB stick.
problems with grub 1.98-1ubuntu73.
Repeated process with same result
virus is from "ubuntugeek", can I remove same

Jim

Email sent using Dodo Webmail

Old 06-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Avi Greenbury

clarke17@dodo.com.au wrote:

> picked up a virus last year while using 8.04.
> reformated hd, using another computer downloaded 10.04 to cd
> loaded to HD, repartitioned HDs (using 2 HDs, 1 ubuntu, 1 msxp)
> loaded programs, all OK. Loaded files from USB stick.
> problems with grub 1.98-1ubuntu73.
> Repeated process with same result.
> virus is from "ubuntugeek", can I remove same

It's probably best here if we can identify this virus; how are you
identifying that it is there, and what effect is it having? Do you know
which file has installed it?

--
Avi

Old 06-27-2012, 01:25 PM

>> Wed, 27 Jun 2012 1600hr approx +1000
>>* "railvisa"<clarke17@dodo.com.au> wrote:

>* Wed, 27 Jun 2012 12:20:25 +0100

>* "Avi Greenbury" <lists@avi.co> wrote

>> picked up a virus last year while using 8.04.

>> reformated hd, using another computer downloaded 10.04 to cd

>> loaded to HD, repartitioned HDs (using 2 HDs, 1 ubuntu, 1 msxp)

>> loaded programs, all OK. Loaded files from USB stick.

>> problems with grub 1.98-1ubuntu73.

>> Repeated process with same result.

>> virus is from "ubuntugeek", can I remove same

> It's probably best here if we can identify this virus; how are you

> identifying that it is there, and what effect is it having? Do you know

> which file has installed it?

The effects are as follows
1. when entering setup utility password is declared invalid
2. sreen is offset 3mm to left
the following happens intermitently

3. grub selection screen* time out line missing - screen freezes
4. on shutdown freezes on ubuntu logo on last screen
5. screen freezes at ubuntu logo beore opening final screen

the virus came from the website 'ubuntugeek' - this site no longer exists

Old 06-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Steve Flynn

On 27 June 2012 14:25, <clarke17@dodo.com.au> wrote:

> The effects are as follows
> 1. when entering setup utility password is declared invalid
> 2. sreen is offset 3mm to left
> the following happens intermitently
> 3. grub selection screen* time out line missing - screen freezes
> 4. on shutdown freezes on ubuntu logo on last screen
> 5. screen freezes at ubuntu logo beore opening final screen
>
> the virus came from the website 'ubuntugeek' - this site no longer exists

Evening Jim,

When the UbuntuGeek (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/) website was
compromised in 2011 it was serving up links to windows malware. Your
Linux installation would have been immune to the software (XP Total
Security 2011) that was being served up even if you'd been in Linux
when you viewed the site and downloaded the malware.

Whilst your windows installation might have been compromised, your
Linux install would have been untouched. As a result there was no need
to format your entire PC.

Regardless, now that you've wiped everything you're trying to
re-install Ubuntu after re-downloading a ISO image - correct? But
you're having issues doing this because of something in Grub?

Have you actually managed to get the installation to complete and the
issues that you're seeing are occurring when you're trying to boot
Ubuntu?

--
Steve

Old 06-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Liam Proven

On 27 June 2012 14:25, <clarke17@dodo.com.au> wrote:

>>> picked up a virus last year while using 8.04.
>>> reformated hd, using another computer downloaded 10.04 to cd
>>> loaded to HD, repartitioned HDs (using 2 HDs, 1 ubuntu, 1 msxp)
>>> loaded programs, all OK. Loaded files from USB stick.
>>> problems with grub 1.98-1ubuntu73.
>>> Repeated process with same result.
>>> virus is from "ubuntugeek", can I remove same
>
>> It's probably best here if we can identify this virus; how are you
>> identifying that it is there, and what effect is it having? Do you know
>> which file has installed it?
>
> The effects are as follows
> 1. when entering setup utility password is declared invalid
> 2. sreen is offset 3mm to left
> the following happens intermitently
> 3. grub selection screenÂ* time out line missing - screen freezes
> 4. on shutdown freezes on ubuntu logo on last screen
> 5. screen freezes at ubuntu logo beore opening final screen
>
> the virus came from the website 'ubuntugeek' - this site no longer exists

This doesn't sound like a virus to me and as far as I know there are
no Linux viruses propagating in the wild.

It sounds to me more like hardware problems and possible driver issues.

First things first -- boot off a recent Ubuntu CD, run the memory test
(memtest86+) and leave it going for at least one full pass through all
tests. That will probably take at least an hour or two.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 06-27-2012, 11:42 PM
Roger

[...]

I tend to agree that it looks, more like hardware and suggest to run the
memtest86+.
We have run ubuntu from 7.nn to now 12.nn with no problem on most of our
machines except one recent, 3 years old now, laptop which tends to have
intermittent problems with Ubuntu, and that is because of video on the
motherboard.

As I understand it, and someone please correct me, such viruses
shouldn't bother boot, bios, or the kernel in Linux, they tend to
infect the user file system. What you describe seems to be mostly
outside the user system.

I have seen recent issues where memory or video card can cause what is
described.

Is your video on the motherboard or is it a separate card?
It may also be that 3D is being used and the video is capable of just
2D, this was a recent, 8 months ago to 4 months ago, issue on a laptop
I worked with on a fresh install of 10.04 and 10.10, it will not run
11.nn or 12.nn for that reason. It locks up, video goes crazy,keyboard
inoperable, etc.

#3. Screen offset is a problem, not only on your machine. I run 2
monitors and the left side monitor is 80 mm off to the right. Pangolin's
last 3 tail sections are missing yet on the right monitor it's nearly 60
mm in from the right.

#4. Even 12.04 freezes sometimes on shutdown.
As for #5, this definitely looks like hardware to me. I have had the
same on a particularly dodgy laptop where memory was low <1gig.

Have you checked your password by going root in a terminal?
Open a terminal and type sudo su and it will ask for your password. It
will fail if the password is incorrect. If it is correct and logs in,
type exit to close root and exit again to close the terminal.

Is your keyboard good to go? I have found that a dodgy keyboard can
cause password issues.

A dodgy mouse equally so.

Can you boot from a DVD? Could you install from a DVD? and overwrite the
partition table you created.

Roger

Old 06-28-2012, 07:47 AM
Ric Moore

picked up a virus last year while using 8.04.
reformated hd, using another computer downloaded 10.04 to cd
loaded to HD, repartitioned HDs (using 2 HDs, 1 ubuntu, 1 msxp)
loaded programs, all OK. Loaded files from USB stick.
problems with grub 1.98-1ubuntu73.
Repeated process with same result.
virus is from "ubuntugeek", can I remove same

It's probably best here if we can identify this virus; how are you
identifying that it is there, and what effect is it having? Do you know
which file has installed it?

The effects are as follows
1. when entering setup utility password is declared invalid
2. sreen is offset 3mm to left
the following happens intermitently
3. grub selection screen time out line missing - screen freezes
4. on shutdown freezes on ubuntu logo on last screen
5. screen freezes at ubuntu logo beore opening final screen

My machine went nuts like that from a failing power supply. Nothing
shows up in the logs, no indications WHY things fail, and overall it was
just wonky. I took the machine back to the guy that built it for me and
he replaced the PS. Nary a burp in the barrel since, Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html