Old 06-26-2012, 07:45 PM
Gene Heskett

Default microcode for amd phenoms

Greetings folks;

I have the code itself on site and available, but the init.d/microcode_ctl
furnished with 10.04 LTS is for intel only. Where can the installer be
found to replace that, for AMD multicore cpu's?

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
... when fits of creativity run strong, more than one programmer or writer
has been known to abandon the desktop for the more spacious floor.
-- Fred Brooks

Old 06-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Ric Moore

I have the code itself on site and available, but the init.d/microcode_ctl
furnished with 10.04 LTS is for intel only. Where can the installer be
found to replace that, for AMD multicore cpu's?

I would think that the 64bit install would be the vanilla AMD version.
Maybe you have the 32bit version?? I've done that myself from having too
many install CD's lying around. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 06-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Gene Heskett

On Tuesday 26 June 2012 16:03:22 Ric Moore did opine:

> On 06/26/2012 03:45 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings folks;
> >
> > I have the code itself on site and available, but the
> > init.d/microcode_ctl furnished with 10.04 LTS is for intel only.
> > Where can the installer be found to replace that, for AMD multicore
> > cpu's?
>
> I would think that the 64bit install would be the vanilla AMD version.
> Maybe you have the 32bit version?? I've done that myself from having too
> many install CD's lying around. Ric

I had centos6.2 64 bit in for a couple days, but very little worked without
pie-ratting 32 bit libraries into the /usr/lib tree, even if there was an
identical 64 bitter in /usr/lib64.

Far too much of the stuff I'd like to run only comes in 32 bit, and I
wasn't able to figure out how to get yumex (I'd also forgotten how big a
POC that was) to show me the 32 bit stuff. So it was a 500% scrooem
situation, at my age I don't have time for centos to grow some 64 bit
cajons, so yesterday morning I rebooted to a 32 bit ubuntu-10.04+linuxcnc
install, the same as at least 2 of my other machines is running here, maybe
3 as I think that is the version installed on my lappy too.

So yes, its a 32 bit install, 64 bit simply is not yet ready for Aunt
Tillies desktop (or mine by inference), and at the rate, and attitudes
prevailing on the centos list, I doubt if it will ever be. I asked 2 times
about the opencascade kit, which the majority of decent cad/cam for linux
software uses for rendering, and was ignored both times. The ubuntu repos
have it properly sorted, 3 clicks to install the lot. Whats not to like?

Anyway, that doesn't make the amd microcode load.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Work without a vision is slavery, Vision without work is a pipe dream,
But vision with work is the hope of the world.