-   -   microcode for amd phenoms (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/677469-microcode-amd-phenoms.html)

Gene Heskett 06-26-2012 07:45 PM

microcode for amd phenoms

Greetings folks;

I have the code itself on site and available, but the init.d/microcode_ctl
furnished with 10.04 LTS is for intel only. Where can the installer be
found to replace that, for AMD multicore cpu's?

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
... when fits of creativity run strong, more than one programmer or writer
has been known to abandon the desktop for the more spacious floor.
-- Fred Brooks

Ric Moore 06-26-2012 07:51 PM

microcode for amd phenoms

I have the code itself on site and available, but the init.d/microcode_ctl
furnished with 10.04 LTS is for intel only. Where can the installer be
found to replace that, for AMD multicore cpu's?

I would think that the 64bit install would be the vanilla AMD version.
Maybe you have the 32bit version?? I've done that myself from having too
many install CD's lying around. :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Gene Heskett 06-26-2012 08:20 PM

microcode for amd phenoms

On Tuesday 26 June 2012 16:03:22 Ric Moore did opine:

> On 06/26/2012 03:45 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings folks;
> >
> > I have the code itself on site and available, but the
> > init.d/microcode_ctl furnished with 10.04 LTS is for intel only.
> > Where can the installer be found to replace that, for AMD multicore
> > cpu's?
>
> I would think that the 64bit install would be the vanilla AMD version.
> Maybe you have the 32bit version?? I've done that myself from having too
> many install CD's lying around. :) Ric

I had centos6.2 64 bit in for a couple days, but very little worked without
pie-ratting 32 bit libraries into the /usr/lib tree, even if there was an
identical 64 bitter in /usr/lib64.

Far too much of the stuff I'd like to run only comes in 32 bit, and I
wasn't able to figure out how to get yumex (I'd also forgotten how big a
POC that was) to show me the 32 bit stuff. So it was a 500% scrooem
situation, at my age I don't have time for centos to grow some 64 bit
cajons, so yesterday morning I rebooted to a 32 bit ubuntu-10.04+linuxcnc
install, the same as at least 2 of my other machines is running here, maybe
3 as I think that is the version installed on my lappy too.

So yes, its a 32 bit install, 64 bit simply is not yet ready for Aunt
Tillies desktop (or mine by inference), and at the rate, and attitudes
prevailing on the centos list, I doubt if it will ever be. I asked 2 times
about the opencascade kit, which the majority of decent cad/cam for linux
software uses for rendering, and was ignored both times. The ubuntu repos
have it properly sorted, 3 clicks to install the lot. Whats not to like?

Anyway, that doesn't make the amd microcode load.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Work without a vision is slavery, Vision without work is a pipe dream,
But vision with work is the hope of the world.