-   -   Using DualView with nVidia HDMI (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/677342-using-dualview-nvidia-hdmi.html)

Amichai Rotman 06-26-2012 02:40 PM

Using DualView with nVidia HDMI

Hello All,
I have an nVidia GForce 210 card with an HDMI output.
Before installing Ubuntu 12.04 I configured Windows XP with nVidia's driver to use my LCD TV as a DualView monitor through the HDMI connector. I watched a video and noticed the sound was played through the TV's speakers.

After installing Ubuntu 12.04 I upgraded the driver to the "post-released-updates (version 295.49). When I play a video under Linux, the sound is played through the PC speakers and I can't find any sound related settings in the nVidia Settings program.

Is there a way to set it up so PC audio plays through the TV speakers like in Windows?
Thanks!
Amichai.

Jared Norris 06-26-2012 09:07 PM

On 27 June 2012 00:40, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have an nVidia GForce 210 card with an HDMI output.
>
> Before installing Ubuntu 12.04 I configured Windows XP with nVidia's driver
> to use my LCD TV as a DualView monitor through the HDMI connector. I watched
> a video and noticed the sound was played through the TV's speakers.
>
> After installing Ubuntu 12.04 I upgraded the driver to the
> "post-released-updates (version 295.49). When I play a video under Linux,
> the sound is played through the PC speakers and I can't find any sound
> related settings in the nVidia Settings program.
>
> Is there a way to set it up so PC audio plays through the TV speakers like
> in Windows?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Amichai.

There is a discussion on this on the Canonical blog [1]. I've never
used it but it looks to explain what to do and why Ubuntu has set it
up that way.

[1] http://voices.canonical.com/david.henningsson/2012/04/14/audio-over-hdmi-and-displayport-in-ubuntu-12-04/

Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris

Amichai Rotman 06-27-2012 08:22 AM

Using DualView with nVidia HDMI

Thanks Jared, that was right on the spot.
No I know why and how...
Amichai.