Old 11-27-2007, 10:33 PM
David Vincent

Default OT: WAS: MAC security ( Question about Wireless)

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Derek Broughton wrote:

>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain information that is
>>> privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If
>>> you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the
>>> sender immediately by return e-mail, purge it and do not disseminate
>>> or copy it.
>
> Ooops - I missed that funny part of the mail and replied anyway. As I'm
> not sure I was an "intended recipient", I will now go and wash my brain
> to forget the contents of that particular mail

http://attrition.org/security/rants/z/disclaimers.html

...and...

http://www.realtime-itcompliance.com/privacy_and_compliance/2007/10/email_security_and_privacy_ny.htm

* Every message Dr. Scott's lawyers sent to Dr. Scott's BI email address
contained the following message:

"This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may
contain information that is privileged and confidential. If you are not
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination
of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please erase all copies of the message and its
attachments and notify us immediately."

However, the court was not impressed by this; with regard to this they
ruled,

"However, even the New York State Bar Association has stated, "a
lawyer who uses technology to communicate with clients must use
reasonable care with respect to such communication, and therefore must
assess the risks attendant to the use of that technology and determine
if the mode of transmission is appropriate under the circumstances.""

-d

Old 11-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Derek Broughton

David Vincent wrote:

http://www.realtime-itcompliance.com/privacy_and_compliance/2007/10/email_security_and_privacy_ny.htm

> * Every message Dr. Scott's lawyers sent to Dr. Scott's BI email address
> contained the following message:

[snipped confidentiality notice]

> However, the court was not impressed by this;

LOL. Now I'm dying to know for what "cause" he was fired. I'm betting
misuse of the company's email system :-)

--
derek