Old 06-25-2012, 01:32 PM

Default Screenshot only shows desktop background or completely black (12.04)

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 5:37 AM, Hans Vos <hans@laissezfaire.nl> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to make a couple of screen shots of running applications. When I
> press the print screen button it makes a screen shot sound and I get the
> dialog window for saving the screen shot, but nothing is in it. Previously
> it only showed my desktop background but now it is completely black.
>
> I tried installing another application called Shutter but this program has
> the same behavior. I am running Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 LTS inside a Virtual
> Box environment on a Windows 7 host system. I already asked for some
> support over at Virtual Box but I got referred back to Ubuntu being told
> it must be a guest problem.
>
> I hope somebody can provide a solution for my problem.

Not a solution, but a suggestion at least...

I agree, this is probably because you're running in a VM environment
which is not quite the same as running on bare metal. Have you
installed the Virtual Box extensions on your Ubuntu VM? That goes a
LONG way to making the graphics work properly in a VBox VM.

That being said, I have used both the built-in screenshot tool and
shutter for along time on metal and they ahve worked great. Usually,
when doing screenshots of a VM though, I generally screenshot the
entire VM window instead... but that's Me.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Liane Dubowy

Hello,

I want to make a couple of screen shots of running applications. When I
press the print screen button it makes a screen shot sound and I get the
dialog window for saving the screen shot, but nothing is in it. Previously
it only showed my desktop background but now it is completely black.

I tried installing another application called Shutter but this program has
the same behavior. I am running Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 LTS inside a Virtual
Box environment on a Windows 7 host system. I already asked for some
support over at Virtual Box but I got referred back to Ubuntu being told
it must be a guest problem.

I hope somebody can provide a solution for my problem.

Kind regards,

Hans Vos

Hi,

I have the same problem and already tried installing the guest additions
within the VM. The problem seems to be the 3D-acceleration. If I
deactivate the option in my Virtualbox-settings, I can make screenshots
like before with every application I try (shutter, screencloud..). I
know this is just a workaround because obviously withour 3D you are back
to Unity-2D as Unity needs it..

If anybody has a solution to this, I'd be interested.

Best regards,
Liane

Old 06-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Hans Vos

Hello Liane,

[...]

That seems to have worked for me. It is not a definitive solutions but I
managed to make the screenshots I needed. Afterwards I turned on 3D
Acceleration.

Kind regards,

Hans Vos