Old 06-23-2012, 07:54 AM
grarpamp

Default UEFI Secure Boot and Ubuntu - implementation

What specifically is Canonical/Ubuntu doing to contact the OEM
(Quanta/Compal/etc) and Retail (ASUS/BioStar/MSI/GigaByte/Intel/etc)
motherboard manufacturers in order to:

- Query and ascertain their plans for UEFI Secure Boot implementation?
- Ensure that motherboards purchased by Ubuntu users for their
systems will allow the platform owner (said users) to install (or
replace) the Platform Key (PK) in SetupMode on said motherboards
per the process outlined in the UEFI Specification Chapter 27 [1]?

What have the results of any such conversations been to date?

Being able to manage the Platform Key (PK) independant from third
parties such as Microsoft (and indeed any OS provider) is obviously
the most desired case.

[1] http://www.uefi.org/
Spec Chapter 27 Secure Boot, SetupMode, PK, Shell, etc

Old 06-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Jkhatri

What specifically is Canonical/Ubuntu doing to contact the OEM
(Quanta/Compal/etc) and Retail (ASUS/BioStar/MSI/GigaByte/Intel/etc)
motherboard manufacturers in order to:

[1] http://www.uefi.org/
Spec Chapter 27 Secure Boot, SetupMode, PK, Shell, etc

will be batter, if you provide the link to the subject page
...please

--

*/

Jatin
Khatri

RHCSA RHCE CCNA

www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin

Phone (+91) 98250 20393

Save
Paper, Save Environment.**

(Plant
at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)

Old 06-23-2012, 08:54 AM
grarpamp

> [1] http://www.uefi.org/
> Spec Chapter 27 Secure Boot, SetupMode, PK, Shell, etc
>
> will be batter, if you provide the link to the subject page ...please

Didn't know it was that hard to click a few clicks, enter
some junk and read. But ok, apparently it is too hard...

http://www.uefi.org/
http://www.uefi.org/specs/
http://www.uefi.org/specs/download
http://www.uefi.org/specs/download/UEFI_2_3_1_Errata_B.pdf
http://www.uefi.org/specs/download_platform

Old 06-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Jared Norris

On 23 June 2012 17:54, grarpamp <grarpamp@gmail.com> wrote:
> What specifically is Canonical/Ubuntu doing to contact the OEM
> (Quanta/Compal/etc) and Retail (ASUS/BioStar/MSI/GigaByte/Intel/etc)
> motherboard manufacturers in order to:
>
> - Query and ascertain their plans for UEFI Secure Boot implementation?
> - Ensure that motherboards purchased by Ubuntu users for their
> systems will allow the platform owner (said users) to install (or
> replace) the Platform Key (PK) in SetupMode on said motherboards
> per the process outlined in the UEFI Specification Chapter 27 [1]?
>
> What have the results of any such conversations been to date?
>
> Being able to manage the Platform Key (PK) independant from third
> parties such as Microsoft (and indeed any OS provider) is obviously
> the most desired case.
>
> [1] http://www.uefi.org/
> *Spec Chapter 27 Secure Boot, SetupMode, PK, Shell, etc

To my knowledge this list isn't watched specifically by Canonical for
general information questions. As your question relates to future
plans of Canonical rather than issues with current Ubuntu releases you
would probably get a much better answer from asking Canonical
themselves via their contact page [1].

If you have a specific question of a technical nature regarding
currently supported Ubuntu releases please ask it directly.

[1] http://www.canonical.com/about-canonical/contact

Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris

Old 06-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Chuck Peters

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 5:48 AM, Jared Norris <jrnorris@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you have a specific question of a technical nature regarding
> currently supported Ubuntu releases please ask it directly.
>
> [1] http://www.canonical.com/about-canonical/contact

If someone does learn more please let us know. I would also
like to know how this UEFI will work for unofficial Ubuntu
derivatives.

I just googled UEFI UDS and found these links:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Testing/UDS-P-UEFI
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/hwe-cycle/+spec/hardware-p-uefi-status
http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/06/ubuntu-plans-to-drop-grub-2-for.html

Perhaps someone can point us to the audio and IRC of the
UDS session(s).

Chuck

Old 06-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Tom H

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2012-June/261491.html

Old 06-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Sarunas Burdulis

Old 06-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Jose Diaz Bardales

On 06/23/2012 03:54 AM, grarpamp wrote:
> What specifically is Canonical/Ubuntu doing to contact the OEM
> (Quanta/Compal/etc) and Retail (ASUS/BioStar/MSI/GigaByte/Intel/etc)
> motherboard manufacturers in order to:
>
> - Query and ascertain their plans for UEFI Secure Boot implementation?
> - Ensure that motherboards purchased by Ubuntu users for their
> systems will allow the platform owner (said users) to install (or
> replace) the Platform Key (PK) in SetupMode on said motherboards
> per the process outlined in the UEFI Specification Chapter 27 [1]?
>
> What have the results of any such conversations been to date?
>
> Being able to manage the Platform Key (PK) independant from third
> parties such as Microsoft (and indeed any OS provider) is obviously
> the most desired case.
>
> [1] http://www.uefi.org/
> Spec Chapter 27 Secure Boot, SetupMode, PK, Shell, etc

I have not been able to read it myself but there is PDF document at
http://odm.ubuntu.com/ that might answer or at least show what
Canonical/Ubuntu are doing about UEFI.

HTH

Old 06-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Avi Greenbury

Chuck Peters wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 5:48 AM, Jared Norris <jrnorris@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > If you have a specific question of a technical nature regarding
> > currently supported Ubuntu releases please ask it directly.
> >
> > [1] http://www.canonical.com/about-canonical/contact
>
> If someone does learn more please let us know. I would also
> like to know how this UEFI will work for unofficial Ubuntu
> derivatives.

The ubuntu-devel list[0] is the 'proper' place for conversation relating
to Ubuntu development and ubuntu-devel-discuss for such conversation
but not necessarily from Ubuntu developers, so it may be worth perusing
the archives there.

This is very much not finalised, though, so you may need to wait a bit
for your answers

--
Avi