-   -   Adding a second monitor (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/675851-adding-second-monitor.html)

"Kevin O'Gorman" 06-22-2012 03:06 PM

Adding a second monitor

I've got used to using 2 monitors from using my laptop and large
screen to support my lectures. It's gotten so that I like it so much
that I use a regular monitor with it at home, and prefer working on it
over using my (much more capable) desktop.

This is silly. I've retired, and don't really need a laptop any more.
I should just add one or two extra monitors to my desktop, but I
tried and it failed miserably.
1) the existing board had several connectors, so I tried using two of
them. No joy, only one would be recognized.
2) I tried a card that had been donated to a charity I work for (with
permission from the manager). When I tried just putting it in without
an attached monitor, X would not even start. I was in a rush, and did
not try it with a monitor. It's quite possible the card is broken
anyway.
3) I realized I'm in slightly over my head.

So, given that I have a large PCI-E slot and a regular PCI-X slot
empty, I'm wondering...
1) Should I expect X to manage 2 cards, and if so what should I do
besides just plugging them in?
2) Could the problem have been missing drivers for the added card, and
if so how should I go about finding them?

I tried this on 11.04, but plan to go to 12.04 soon.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Roger 06-22-2012 11:22 PM

Adding a second monitor

From U 10.11 thru to 12.04 and Fedora 14 to 16 I've been using 2
monitors no problems. X works fine for me.
I have a Geforce 8600gts video card about 3 or more years old which has
2 slots.

Roger

Ric Moore 06-22-2012 11:23 PM

Adding a second monitor

[...]

What make of video card do you have?? With nVidia, it's a piece of cake
as long as you have the nVIdia driver installed using twinview in the
setup and write out the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. I have run two
monitors off of one card long time. Nary a burp in the barrel.

Now, I have two nVidia cards, that are identical, each in a PCI-E slot.
Again, with the nVidia drivers installed, I had to select "Separate
X-Screen" to get them both working with one monitor per card. I hope to
add two more to get a total of 4 monitors. I'll look like a blooming
stock exchange around here. Killing space aliens will be too KeWl.

:) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

"Kevin O'Gorman" 06-24-2012 01:28 PM

Adding a second monitor

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/22/2012 11:06 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>
>> I've got used to using 2 monitors from using my laptop and large
>> screen to support my lectures. *It's gotten so that I like it so much
>> that I use a regular monitor with it at home, and prefer working on it
>> over using my (much more capable) desktop.
>>
>> This is silly. *I've retired, and don't really need a laptop any more.
>> *I should just add one or two extra monitors to my desktop, but I
>> tried and it failed miserably.
>> 1) the existing board had several connectors, so I tried using two of
>> them. *No joy, only one would be recognized.
>> 2) I tried a card that had been donated to a charity I work for (with
>> permission from the manager). *When I tried just putting it in without
>> an attached monitor, X would not even start. *I was in a rush, and did
>> not try it with a monitor. *It's quite possible the card is broken
>> anyway.
>> 3) I realized I'm in slightly over my head.
>>
>> So, given that I have a large PCI-E slot and a regular PCI-X slot
>> empty, I'm wondering...
>> 1) Should I expect X to manage 2 cards, and if so what should I do
>> besides just plugging them in?
>> 2) Could the problem have been missing drivers for the added card, and
>> if so how should I go about finding them?
>>
>> I tried this on 11.04, but plan to go to 12.04 soon.
>>
> What make of video card do you have?? With nVidia, it's a piece of cake as
> long as you have the nVIdia driver installed using twinview in the setup and
> write out the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. *I have run two monitors off of one
> card long time. Nary a burp in the barrel.
>
> Now, I have two nVidia cards, that are identical, each in a PCI-E slot.
> Again, with the nVidia drivers installed, I had to select "Separate
> X-Screen" to get them both working with one monitor per card. I hope to add
> two more to get a total of 4 monitors. I'll look like a blooming stock
> exchange around here. Killing space aliens will be too KeWl.
> :) Ric

I had a total mobo failure about a year ago, and a pretty thorough
brain transplant performed on an emergency basis by a local computer
shop. Thus, I'm unusually vague about what's inside. I have not
installed special drivers, just whatever Ubuntu had lying around, nor
do I recall doing anything with xorg.conf,
so if I did, it was not memorable.

Here's /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 270.41.06
(buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-07.nvidia.com) Mon Apr 18
15:15:12 PDT 2011

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Here's what the kernel says:
root@treat:/proc# cat driver/nvidia/gpus/0/information
Model: GeForce 8400GS
IRQ: 24
Video BIOS: 70.18.7a.00.00
Card Type: PCI-E
DMA Size: 40 bits
DMA Mask: 0xffffffffff
Bus Location: 0000:01.00.0
root@treat:/proc#

And the gpus directory has only that one "0" subdirectory.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Avi Greenbury 06-24-2012 03:33 PM

Adding a second monitor

Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> So, given that I have a large PCI-E slot and a regular PCI-X slot
> empty, I'm wondering...
> 1) Should I expect X to manage 2 cards, and if so what should I do
> besides just plugging them in?

In general, X is happy with two monitors on one card, and anything else
is still considered esoteric. There are a few multi-card setups that
are known to work, and several that don't.

In general, you will need to co-operative cards and a non-free
driver that works with both. I'm pretty sure that this works in NVidia
with the right cards, their driver and their Twinview tool, but it does
leave your setup's reliance very much in the hands of NVidia

--
Avi

Liam Proven 06-24-2012 03:43 PM

Adding a second monitor

On 24 June 2012 16:33, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:
> Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>> So, given that I have a large PCI-E slot and a regular PCI-X slot
>> empty, I'm wondering...
>> 1) Should I expect X to manage 2 cards, and if so what should I do
>> besides just plugging them in?
>
> In general, X is happy with two monitors on one card, and anything else
> is still considered esoteric. There are a few multi-card setups that
> are known to work, and several that don't.
>
> In general, you will need to co-operative cards and a non-free
> driver that works with both. I'm pretty sure that this works in NVidia
> with the right cards, their driver and their Twinview tool, but it does
> leave your setup's reliance very much in the hands of NVidia

Sounds more or less right.

In my experience, by rule of thumb rather than hard-and-fast absolutes:

* a pair of 2 identical single-port cards is fairly likely to work

* if cards need proprietary drivers, make sure both need the *same*
driver - e.g. 2 nVidias of the same generation, or 2 ATIs of the same
generation

* a pair of 2 cards where the drivers are FOSS, good, modern & support
multihead has a fair chance

* don't mix & match cards where one requires a proprietary drive & the
other doesn't

* don't mix & match cards that need proprietary drivers - e.g. 1 × ATI
+ 1 × nVidia

* don't mix generations - e.g. random old weird thing + modern card is
not a good choice.

* if you have motherboard graphics + an AGP slot, you can't combine
them; only 1 AGP device at a time is possible. AGP+PCI works, though

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

"Kevin O'Gorman" 06-24-2012 07:26 PM

Adding a second monitor

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 June 2012 16:33, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:
>> Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>> So, given that I have a large PCI-E slot and a regular PCI-X slot
>>> empty, I'm wondering...
>>> 1) Should I expect X to manage 2 cards, and if so what should I do
>>> besides just plugging them in?
>>
>> In general, X is happy with two monitors on one card, and anything else
>> is still considered esoteric. There are a few multi-card setups that
>> are known to work, and several that don't.
>>
>> In general, you will need to co-operative cards and a non-free
>> driver that works with both. I'm pretty sure that this works in NVidia
>> with the right cards, their driver and their Twinview tool, but it does
>> leave your setup's reliance very much in the hands of NVidia
>
> Sounds more or less right.
>
> In my experience, by rule of thumb rather than hard-and-fast absolutes:
>
> * a pair of 2 identical single-port cards is fairly likely to work
>
> * if cards need proprietary drivers, make sure both need the *same*
> driver - e.g. 2 nVidias of the same generation, or 2 ATIs of the same
> generation
>
> * a pair of 2 cards where the drivers are FOSS, good, modern & support
> multihead has a fair chance
>
> * don't mix & match cards where one requires a proprietary drive & the
> other doesn't
>
> * don't mix & match cards that need proprietary drivers - e.g. 1 × ATI
> + 1 × nVidia
>
> * don't mix generations - e.g. random old weird thing + modern card is
> not a good choice.
>
> * if you have motherboard graphics + an AGP slot, you can't combine
> them; only 1 AGP device at a time is possible. AGP+PCI works, though
>
> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile

Thanks. Looking at the nvidia stuff on this card, and what you wrote,
it seems I should be able to put 2 monitors on this one card.
However, I can't seem to figure out how to configure this.

nvidia-xconfig generates a config with a single monitor section,
identical except for whitespace to what I have now. Adding the
--enable-all-gpus option produces an error message to the effect that
it could not figure out how many gpus there were. None of the other
options seemed likely to help.

I'm starting to wonder if a fresh install of 12.04 might figure this
out for me. I was going to wait for 12.04.1, but this might encourage
me a bit.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Ric Moore 06-25-2012 01:18 AM

Adding a second monitor

I had a total mobo failure about a year ago, and a pretty thorough
brain transplant performed on an emergency basis by a local computer
shop. Thus, I'm unusually vague about what's inside. I have not
installed special drivers, just whatever Ubuntu had lying around, nor
do I recall doing anything with xorg.conf,
so if I did, it was not memorable.

Here's /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 270.41.06
(buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-07.nvidia.com) Mon Apr 18
15:15:12 PDT 2011

Great, it says you have an nVidia driver installed. So, just look for
your nvidia X-server settings app, that should be in your menu, and use
THAT to set up your dual display. You have to deal with the nVidia
settings using this as it will save the amended xorg.conf file so that
your new settings will work the next time you reboot. With one card, two
monitors, use twinview. Once you see that, it should be a cakewalk. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Ric Moore 06-25-2012 02:02 AM

Adding a second monitor

So, given that I have a large PCI-E slot and a regular PCI-X slot
empty, I'm wondering...
1) Should I expect X to manage 2 cards, and if so what should I do
besides just plugging them in?

In general, X is happy with two monitors on one card, and anything else
is still considered esoteric. There are a few multi-card setups that
are known to work, and several that don't.

In general, you will need to co-operative cards and a non-free
driver that works with both. I'm pretty sure that this works in NVidia
with the right cards, their driver and their Twinview tool, but it does
leave your setup's reliance very much in the hands of NVidia

So far, for quite a few years, they have not let me down once. Your most
basic system setup is in the hands of your bios, so we're always in the
hands of someone. Then it becomes a matter of self-interest, whether to
trust them or not. nVidia has played nice with the Linux community to a
point. It would be best to not pee on their shoes for doing that much.