Old 06-25-2012, 02:15 AM
Ric Moore

Default Adding a second monitor

On 06/24/2012 03:26 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

On 24 June 2012 16:33, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:

Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

So, given that I have a large PCI-E slot and a regular PCI-X slot
empty, I'm wondering...
1) Should I expect X to manage 2 cards, and if so what should I do
besides just plugging them in?

In general, X is happy with two monitors on one card, and anything else
is still considered esoteric. There are a few multi-card setups that
are known to work, and several that don't.

In general, you will need to co-operative cards and a non-free
driver that works with both. I'm pretty sure that this works in NVidia
with the right cards, their driver and their Twinview tool, but it does
leave your setup's reliance very much in the hands of NVidia

Sounds more or less right.

In my experience, by rule of thumb rather than hard-and-fast absolutes:

* a pair of 2 identical single-port cards is fairly likely to work

* if cards need proprietary drivers, make sure both need the *same*
driver - e.g. 2 nVidias of the same generation, or 2 ATIs of the same
generation

* a pair of 2 cards where the drivers are FOSS, good, modern & support
multihead has a fair chance

* don't mix & match cards where one requires a proprietary drive & the
other doesn't

* don't mix & match cards that need proprietary drivers - e.g. 1 × ATI
+ 1 × nVidia

* don't mix generations - e.g. random old weird thing + modern card is
not a good choice.

* if you have motherboard graphics + an AGP slot, you can't combine
them; only 1 AGP device at a time is possible. AGP+PCI works, though

Thanks. Looking at the nvidia stuff on this card, and what you wrote,
it seems I should be able to put 2 monitors on this one card.
However, I can't seem to figure out how to configure this.

nvidia-xconfig generates a config with a single monitor section,
identical except for whitespace to what I have now. Adding the
--enable-all-gpus option produces an error message to the effect that
it could not figure out how many gpus there were. None of the other
options seemed likely to help.

I'm starting to wonder if a fresh install of 12.04 might figure this
out for me. I was going to wait for 12.04.1, but this might encourage
me a bit.

Use "nvidia-settings". It should be on your program menu and in /usr/bin

THAT sets up dual monitors, as it's a little bit more complicated than
some script can handle. You will have to configure the second monitor,
agree that it is identified and set as expected, then select twinview if
you're using one card/two monitors, position the respective monitors to
their physical location ...which is right and which is left, the second
monitor should come to life and if all appears correct, then you look
down in the lower right corner to the "Save to X configuration file"
button and save it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf. It should ask for your passwd
to proceed. I highly doubt you will set it up any other way. This isn't
hard, but I don't think that xconfig can make all these choices for you
correctly, so it doesn't try. Been doing this long time, it works. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 06-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Liam Proven

On 24 June 2012 20:26, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks. *Looking at the nvidia stuff on this card, and what you wrote,
> it seems I should be able to put 2 monitors on this one card.
> However, I can't seem to figure out how to configure this.
>
> nvidia-xconfig generates a config with a single monitor section,
> identical except for whitespace to what I have now.

What Ric said is correct.

You are using the wrong control panel. It is not nvidia-xconfig you
want, it's `nvidia-settings`.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884