-   -   sound broken after update (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/675843-sound-broken-after-update.html)

David L 06-22-2012 02:45 PM

sound broken after update

I updated my Ubuntu 12.04 system today and I no longer have any sound.

Sound was working fine before the update.

alsamixer says "no such file or directory"

pavucontrol shows "Dummy Output" as the only output and no input device.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks,

David

Frans Ketelaars 06-22-2012 03:39 PM

sound broken after update

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 07:45:41 -0700, David L wrote:

> I updated my Ubuntu 12.04 system today and I no longer have any sound.
>
> Sound was working fine before the update.
>
> alsamixer says "no such file or directory"
>
> pavucontrol shows "Dummy Output" as the only output and no input device.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

Have you already tried rebooting?

I found this guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting
but it says: "As of 2012, much of the information on this page is
outdated. Please refer to the official sound debugging guide and Ubuntu
Audio Development team's pages for more up-to-date information."

Unfortunately it seems ubuntu sound debugging info isn't as good as it
should be :(

Good luck!

-Frans

Bill Walton 06-22-2012 03:48 PM

sound broken after update

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Frans Ketelaars <ketelaars@wanadoo.nl> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 07:45:41 -0700, David L wrote:
>
>> I updated my Ubuntu 12.04 system today and I no longer have any sound.

<snip>

>Have you already tried rebooting?
>
> I found this guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting
> but it says: "As of 2012, much of the information on this page is
> outdated. Please refer to the official sound debugging guide and Ubuntu
> Audio Development team's pages for more up-to-date information."
>
> Unfortunately it seems ubuntu sound debugging info isn't as good as it
> should be :(

Amen to that! I'm on 10.04LTS and haven't had sound to external
speakers or mic for months. Luckily the headset jacks still work.

The community documentation used to have a 2 step process for 10.04.
The first usually got the external sound back. If not, the second
always did. Then the documentation changed and the second step
disappeared. Haven't been able to restore external sound since.

Best regards,
Bill

David L 06-22-2012 04:15 PM

sound broken after update

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Frans Ketelaars wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 07:45:41 -0700, David L wrote:
>
>> I updated my Ubuntu 12.04 system today and I no longer have any sound.
>>

> Have you already tried rebooting?

I hadn't tried rebooting, but that probably would have worked. Before
I saw your response, I had logged out, changed desktop environments
from KDE to Unity and sound started working. Then I logged out and
changed back to KDE and it kept working. In addition to fixing the
sound, my KDE panel NetworkManager widget started working again
(that was also temporarily broken by the update showing a red X
instead of the usual network plug icon). So I'm up and running again,
but I'm not sure why things were broken after the update. I should
mention that the update I did required a reboot to complete and I
had done that reboot before sound was broken.

Anyway, thanks for the response.

David

Ric Moore 06-22-2012 11:15 PM

sound broken after update