Old 06-22-2012, 02:38 AM
Mark Panen

Default Screen resolution 12.04

Hi,

I have a eight year old laptop which in those days had every Linux OS
working on it fine that i tried.

As the new and improved versions came out i had hassles with the screen
resolution.

The last version that worked correctly was 10.04 i386, 12.04 (Ubuntu,
Kubuntu & Xubuntu) gives me a 3/4 screen with a maximum choice of
800x600 instead of 1024x768 according to system settings and xrandr.

I have followed the step by step xrandr instructions according to google
with no success.

I don't mind keeping 10.04 but after days of googeling i am unable to
connect my 3G modem which works 100% in 12.04.

ROSA 2012 LTS screen resolution comes out fine so it's not a hardware
problem.

Any ideas please.

--
Cheers
Mark

Old 06-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Liam Proven

On 22 June 2012 03:38, Mark Panen <mark.panen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a eight year old laptop which in those days had every Linux OS
> working on it fine that i tried.
>
> As the new and improved versions came out i had hassles with the screen
> resolution.
>
> The last version that worked correctly was 10.04 i386, 12.04 (Ubuntu,
> Kubuntu & Xubuntu) gives me a 3/4 screen with a maximum choice of 800x600
> instead of 1024x768 according to system settings and xrandr.
>
> I have followed the step by step xrandr instructions according to google
> with no success.
>
> I don't mind keeping 10.04 but after days of googeling i am unable to
> connect my 3G modem which works 100% in 12.04.
>
> ROSA 2012 LTS screen resolution comes out fine so it's not a hardware
> problem.
>
> Any ideas please.

You could start by telling us the make & exact model of laptop.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 06-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Mark Panen

I have a eight year old laptop which in those days had every Linux OS
working on it fine that i tried.

As the new and improved versions came out i had hassles with the screen
resolution.

The last version that worked correctly was 10.04 i386, 12.04 (Ubuntu,
Kubuntu & Xubuntu) gives me a 3/4 screen with a maximum choice of 800x600
instead of 1024x768 according to system settings and xrandr.

I have followed the step by step xrandr instructions according to google
with no success.

I don't mind keeping 10.04 but after days of googeling i am unable to
connect my 3G modem which works 100% in 12.04.

ROSA 2012 LTS screen resolution comes out fine so it's not a hardware
problem.

Any ideas please.

You could start by telling us the make & exact model of laptop.

Acer Aspire 1362LC
AMD Sempron 2800+
XGA TFT LCD
448 MB Ram

--
Cheers
Mark

Old 06-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Liam Proven

On 22 June 2012 13:00, Mark Panen <mark.panen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Acer Aspire 1362LC
> AMD Sempron 2800+
> XGA TFT LCD
> 448 MB Ram

According to this page:
http://www.immortalsgate.com/dkauk/Laptops/Acer_Aspire_1362LC.htm

That has a UniChrome Pro IGP graphics chip from VIA.

If you Google for "UniChrome Pro IGP linux" you will find various
pages explaining how to get a driver from Sourceforge or install it
from the Ubuntu repositories directly.

However, these instructions mostly date back to 2009-2010 - it's a
pretty old GPU and a pretty old, low-spec laptop, I'm afraid.

It may be that the drivers are installed by default these days and
just aren't working, or are no longer supported.

Can you post your X.11 server startup log so that we can see what is going on?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 06-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Mark Panen

That has a UniChrome Pro IGP graphics chip from VIA.

If you Google for "UniChrome Pro IGP linux" you will find various
pages explaining how to get a driver from Sourceforge or install it
from the Ubuntu repositories directly.

However, these instructions mostly date back to 2009-2010 - it's a
pretty old GPU and a pretty old, low-spec laptop, I'm afraid.

It may be that the drivers are installed by default these days and
just aren't working, or are no longer supported.

Can you post your X.11 server startup log so that we can see what is going on?

I don't know what version of xorg 12.04 uses but xorg 7.6 in another
distro causing the 3/4 screen problem, how can i downgrade to xorg 7.5
which works fine and gives me a 1024x768 resolution?

--
Cheers
Mark

Old 06-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Liam Proven

On 24 June 2012 15:17, Mark Panen <mark.panen@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know what version of xorg 12.04 uses but xorg 7.6 in another distro
> causing the 3/4 screen problem, how can i downgrade to xorg 7.5 which works
> fine and gives me a 1024x768 resolution?

No, you can't downgrade, but there are other ways around such problems.

This is why I asked you to post your X log file. You will find it here:

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 06-26-2012, 06:05 AM
Ric Moore

I have a eight year old laptop which in those days had every Linux OS
working on it fine that i tried.

As the new and improved versions came out i had hassles with the screen
resolution.

The last version that worked correctly was 10.04 i386, 12.04 (Ubuntu,
Kubuntu & Xubuntu) gives me a 3/4 screen with a maximum choice of
800x600 instead of 1024x768 according to system settings and xrandr.

I have followed the step by step xrandr instructions according to google
with no success.

I don't mind keeping 10.04 but after days of googeling i am unable to
connect my 3G modem which works 100% in 12.04.

ROSA 2012 LTS screen resolution comes out fine so it's not a hardware
problem.

Any ideas please.

What video chipset?? Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 06-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Mark Panen

I have a eight year old laptop which in those days had every Linux OS
working on it fine that i tried.

As the new and improved versions came out i had hassles with the screen
resolution.

The last version that worked correctly was 10.04 i386, 12.04 (Ubuntu,
Kubuntu & Xubuntu) gives me a 3/4 screen with a maximum choice of
800x600 instead of 1024x768 according to system settings and xrandr.

I have followed the step by step xrandr instructions according to google
with no success.

I don't mind keeping 10.04 but after days of googeling i am unable to
connect my 3G modem which works 100% in 12.04.

ROSA 2012 LTS screen resolution comes out fine so it's not a hardware
problem.

Any ideas please.

What video chipset?? Ric

I thinks it's a via, i have managed to install Crunchbang Linux with the
3.2 kernel and Xorg 7.5, resolution is fine, 1024x768, but still
problems with the USB 3G modem disconnecting, _only_ Ubuntu 12.04 works
with my 3G modem but the i have a 3/4 screen (800x600) on this
particular laptop.

--
Cheers
Mark

Old 06-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Liam Proven

On 26 June 2012 10:05, Mark Panen <mark.panen@gmail.com> wrote:

> I thinks it's a via, i have managed to install Crunchbang Linux with the 3.2
> kernel and Xorg 7.5, resolution is fine, 1024x768, *but still problems with
> the USB 3G modem disconnecting, _only_ Ubuntu 12.04 works with my 3G modem
> but the i have a 3/4 screen (800x600) on this particular laptop.

I did not see your X log yet - did you manage to find it and post it?

Meantime, try the hint here:
http://liam-on-linux.livejournal.com/20637.html

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 06-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Mark Panen

I thinks it's a via, i have managed to install Crunchbang Linux with the 3.2
kernel and Xorg 7.5, resolution is fine, 1024x768, but still problems with
the USB 3G modem disconnecting, _only_ Ubuntu 12.04 works with my 3G modem
but the i have a 3/4 screen (800x600) on this particular laptop.

I did not see your X log yet - did you manage to find it and post it?

Meantime, try the hint here:
http://liam-on-linux.livejournal.com/20637.html

It is awaiting moderator approval as it is 61k big.

--
Cheers
Mark