Old 06-21-2012, 11:17 PM
rikona

Default ssh problem - a clue...

Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 11:46:56 AM, rikona wrote:

>> It makes ssh print potentially useful debug messages. -v is less
>> verbose than -vv, I think there's a -vvv too.

> I am now running ssh with the -vv option. vv produces quite a lot of
> output. :-) One can use vvv too, but I'm not sure I want to wade
> through even more stuff. :-)

> SSH seems to do a lot of stuff with channels 1 through 22 - the vast
> majority of the log is ssh 'wading through' the many things that are
> done on each of these channels. What are these channels, anyway?

> Hopefully, that option will give a good clue as to what is going on
> when it quits. Thanks for the tip.

The debug gives a hint. It seems to take a very long time to go
through all the 'channels' [whatever they are] as it's figuring out
what to do. During this time ssh does not seem to respond to input,
even ^C. I watched for about 15 minutes, and it was still very slowly
chugging through. I came back about an hour later, and the 'broken
pipe' msg was there, and ssh was responsive - I could log in again
with ssh - in the same terminal window.

So - one possibility was that I didn't wait long enough for the
'broken pipe' msg, and just exited terminal [with the warning that it
would close something, which it does.] That's much faster, anyway,
given the loooong timing to get the msg. :-) Perhaps a disconnect
eventually does produce only one result...

--

rikona