Old 06-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Nick Bikkal

Default Ubuntu 12.04 settings

Hello to all,

I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my desktop. The settings don't save. I have no idea why. Help please.

Nick

Sent from my iPhone

Old 06-22-2012, 07:37 AM
Colin Law

On 21 June 2012 23:40, Nick Bikkal <29.whitesnake@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello to all,
>
> I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my desktop. The settings don't save. I have no idea why. Help please.

Can you give an example of a particular setting that is not being
saved? Describe how you are setting it and what problem you see.

Colin

Old 06-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Nick Bikkal

Hi,
Can you give an example of a particular setting that is not being
saved? *Describe how you are setting it and what problem you see.

Colin

All, basically. I set up several mail accounts on thunderbird & it was all as if I hadn't even opened it. BTW, I use Ubuntu 12.04 on an AA1 but don't have that problem.
Thanks,
Nick--

Old 06-22-2012, 08:47 AM
Colin Law

On 22 June 2012 09:29, Nick Bikkal <29.whitesnake@gmail.com> wrote:

What has happened to your email quoting? It is not showing my replies
as from me?

> Hi,
>

> Can you give an example of a particular setting that is not being
> saved? *Describe how you are setting it and what problem you see.
>
> Colin
>
> All, basically. I set up several mail accounts on thunderbird & it was all
> as if I hadn't even opened it. BTW, I use Ubuntu 12.04 on an AA1 but don't
> have that problem.

Just Thunderbird or other apps also?

If you run thunderbird from a terminal and try to set up an account
and then exit thunderbird do you see any errors in the terminal?

How did you install ubuntu?

Colin

Old 06-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Students

Colin,

Sent from my iPad

>> Hi,
>>

>> Can you give an example of a particular setting that is not being
>> saved? Describe how you are setting it and what problem you see.
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> All, basically. I set up several mail accounts on thunderbird & it was all
>> as if I hadn't even opened it. BTW, I use Ubuntu 12.04 on an AA1 but don't
>> have that problem.
>
> Just Thunderbird or other apps also?
>
> If you run thunderbird from a terminal and try to set up an account
> and then exit thunderbird do you see any errors in the terminal?
>
> How did you install ubuntu?
>
> Colin

All programs I put on the main window disappeared and I had to bring back.

I installed Ubuntu from Windows. On the Acer I'm not having these problems. The only problem I have on both installations is the inability to use the mic.

Thanks for the help,

Nick

Old 06-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Colin Law

On 23 June 2012 00:13, Students <29.whitesnake@gmail.com> wrote:
> Colin,
>
> Sent from my iPad
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> Can you give an example of a particular setting that is not being
>>> saved? *Describe how you are setting it and what problem you see.
>>>
>>> Colin
>>>
>>> All, basically. I set up several mail accounts on thunderbird & it was all
>>> as if I hadn't even opened it. BTW, I use Ubuntu 12.04 on an AA1 but don't
>>> have that problem.
>>
>> Just Thunderbird or other apps also?
>>
>> If you run thunderbird from a terminal and try to set up an account
>> and then exit thunderbird do you see any errors in the terminal?
>>
>> How did you install ubuntu?
>>
>> Colin
>>
> All programs I put on the main window disappeared and I had to bring back.

What do you mean by "all programs I put on the main window". It is
vital to provide sufficient detail so that we can be absolutely
certain what is happening.

> I installed Ubuntu from Windows. On the Acer I'm not having these problems. The only problem I have on both installations is the inability to use the mic.

Do you mean you are using wubi, or have you installed it to a separate
partition, or is it running in a virtual machine (vmware or vbox for
example)? Again the details are important.

Colin

Old 06-24-2012, 01:59 AM
Nick Bikkal

Colin,

> Do you mean you are using wubi, or have you installed it to a separate
> partition, or is it running in a virtual machine (vmware or vbox for
> example)? Again the details are important.
>
> Colin

First, thanks for the help. I reinstalled Ubuntu in my machine & got most of the problems solved. I installed Ubuntu from inside WXP and used WUBI. I even have Google Earth, Skype & my mic working. I use Thunderbird mail. I tried several other programs but didn't work well. One couldn't store the password. The single problem I'd like to fix now is getting two screens to work. They both did for a while but then the second one disappeared on me.

I'm a newbie on Ubuntu and am still on the crawling stage but am advancing nicely, I believe.

Nick

Sent from my iPhone

Old 06-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Colin Law

On 24 June 2012 02:59, Nick Bikkal <29.whitesnake@gmail.com> wrote:
> Colin,
>
>> Do you mean you are using wubi, or have you installed it to a separate
>> partition, or is it running in a virtual machine (vmware or vbox for
>> example)? *Again the details are important.
>>
>> Colin
>>
> First, thanks for the help. I reinstalled Ubuntu in my machine & got most of the problems solved. I installed Ubuntu from inside WXP and used WUBI. I even have Google Earth, Skype & my mic working. I use Thunderbird mail. I tried several other programs but didn't work well. One couldn't store the password. The single problem I'd like to fix now is getting two screens to work. They both did for a while but then the second one disappeared on me.

Sorry I can't help with wubi. My understanding is that this is really
only designed as a system for trying Ubuntu out. I advise that you
install Ubuntu in a separate partition such that you can dual boot to
it or Windows.

Colin

Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Nick Bikkal

Colin,

Nick

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 24, 2012, at 4:50 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 24 June 2012 02:59, Nick Bikkal <29.whitesnake@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Colin,
>>
>>> Do you mean you are using wubi, or have you installed it to a separate
>>> partition, or is it running in a virtual machine (vmware or vbox for
>>> example)? Again the details are important.
>>>
>>> Colin
>>>
>> First, thanks for the help. I reinstalled Ubuntu in my machine & got most of the problems solved. I installed Ubuntu from inside WXP and used WUBI. I even have Google Earth, Skype & my mic working. I use Thunderbird mail. I tried several other programs but didn't work well. One couldn't store the password. The single problem I'd like to fix now is getting two screens to work. They both did for a while but then the second one disappeared on me.
>
> Sorry I can't help with wubi. My understanding is that this is really
> only designed as a system for trying Ubuntu out. I advise that you
> install Ubuntu in a separate partition such that you can dual boot to
> it or Windows.
>
> Colin

Thanks.

Nick