Old 06-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Amichai Rotman

Default Watching HD Qality Video on YouTube

Hi,
I have an Ubuntu 12.04 box with an nVidia GForce 210 GPU and 1Gb of DDR3 VRAM.*
When I try to watch HD quality vudeo on YouTube (720p) it keeps buffering every 10-15 seconds.

is this a Hardware issue or is it a network issue?
I am connected @ 5/500 ADSL.
Thanks!
Amichai.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Ryan Gauger

I have an Ubuntu 12.04 box with an nVidia GForce 210 GPU
and 1Gb of DDR3 VRAM.*

When I try to watch HD quality vudeo on YouTube (720p) it
keeps buffering every 10-15 seconds.

is this a Hardware issue or is it a network issue?

I am connected @ 5/500 ADSL.

Thanks!

Amichai.

Hello Amichai,

This is most-likely (99%) a network issue. I have this same problem
sometimes. This is probably an issue with Youtube's player.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Steve Flynn

On 20 June 2012 19:42, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an Ubuntu 12.04 box with an nVidia GForce 210 GPU and 1Gb of DDR3
> VRAM.
>
> When I try to watch HD quality vudeo on YouTube (720p) it keeps buffering
> every 10-15 seconds.
>
> is this a Hardware issue or is it a network issue?
>
> I am connected @ 5/500 ADSL.

The available bandwidth on your ADSL pipe is not enough to keep up
with the rate at which the player is consuming the data. Only way
around is it to either watch in lower def or upgrade your download
speed (and perhaps reduce the contention on the connection).

--
Steve

Old 06-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Amichai Rotman

Thanks. I suspected as much. How fast do I need for d/l speed?

Amichai.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:11 PM
Steve Flynn

On 20 June 2012 21:48, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> Thanks. I suspected as much. How fast do I need for d/l speed?

Depends on the compression level of the video, but I guess somewhere
around 3 Mbit/s (about 375 kilobytes per second) for 1080p and around
2 Mbit/s (250K/s) for 720p

I'm getting these figures from
http://adterrasperaspera.com/blog/2010/05/24/approximate-youtube-bitrates
so they may not be entirely accurate but they sound reasonable.

--
Steve