Old 06-20-2012, 05:04 PM
"Luis Enrique Pomares Nuez"

Default windows to linux migration tools

Hi!
I need some tools thats help me to migrate services like Active
Directory, DNS, DHCP from windows to linux.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Liam Proven

On 20 June 2012 18:04, Luis Enrique Pomares Nuñez <enrique@icccv.sld.cu> wrote:
> Hi!
> I need some tools thats help me *to migrate services like Active
> Directory, DNS, DHCP from windows to linux.

I could be wrong but I don't think anything like that exists. There is
no direct equivalent of AD and the rest you just re-configure from
scratch.

I welcome correction if I'm wrong!

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 06-20-2012, 05:51 PM
C de-Avillez

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 18:06:25 +0100
Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 June 2012 18:04, Luis Enrique Pomares Nuez
> <enrique@icccv.sld.cu> wrote:
> > Hi!
> > I need some tools thats help me *to migrate services like Active
> > Directory, DNS, DHCP from windows to linux.
>
> I could be wrong but I don't think anything like that exists. There is
> no direct equivalent of AD and the rest you just re-configure from
> scratch.
>
> I welcome correction if I'm wrong!

er, Samba? But I am not sure about the migration aspects.

Cheers,

..C..

Old 06-21-2012, 08:19 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

On Wed, June 20, 2012 19:51, C de-Avillez wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 18:06:25 +0100
> Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 20 June 2012 18:04, Luis Enrique Pomares Nuñez
>> <enrique@icccv.sld.cu> wrote:
>> > Hi!
>> > I need some tools thats help me *to migrate services like Active
>> > Directory, DNS, DHCP from windows to linux.
>>
>> I could be wrong but I don't think anything like that exists. There is
>> no direct equivalent of AD and the rest you just re-configure from
>> scratch.
>>
>> I welcome correction if I'm wrong!
>>

> er, Samba? But I am not sure about the migration aspects.

Indeed, Active Directory can be replaced with Samba+LDAP.

Companies like PADL provide AD migration tools. Migration tools are almost
never for free in my experience. This is normal because they are more like
services and support than actual software, and we all know that the big
money in Linux is in providing services. You can also pay an expensive
Linux consultant to do all the work for you.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:16 PM
"compdoc"

> You can also pay an expensive Linux consultant to do all the work for you.

Expensive is all relative if you need something done properly. Please don't
put us out of work.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Tony Atkinson

On 21/06/12 13:16, compdoc wrote:
> Expensive is all relative if you need something done properly. Please don't
> put us out of work.

Hear hear!

OP:
Samba's what you're looking for.
Samba4 (while only in beta) offers active-directory-type features

I've personally got little experience with samba other than simple
file-shares, but their wiki pages have lots of info

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO

--
Tony Atkinson
Systems Administrator

Datapro Services Limited
2 High Street, Grays,
Essex. RM17 6LU
www.dataproservices.co.uk
Company No: 3478926
Vat No: 714 5668 24

Old 06-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Tony Atkinson
<tony@dataproservices.co.uk> wrote:

> OP:
> Samba's what you're looking for.
> Samba4 (while only in beta) offers active-directory-type features
>
> I've personally got little experience with samba other than simple
> file-shares, but their wiki pages have lots of info
>
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO

Samba4's useful (if you don't mind using beta software) to create a
Linux DC within a Windows AD.

Samba3 allows you to set up a Linux DC to serve either as a WinNT4
domain or as an "AD" domain (using LDAP and Kerberos), or to set up a
Linux server to join a Windows AD as a member to authenticate logins
and/or shares against AD.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Avi Greenbury

Amedee Van Gasse wrote:

> Indeed, Active Directory can be replaced with Samba+LDAP.

Some of AD can. You'll need Kerberos, too, if you want to auth
properly, and several other bits and pieces for all the ancillary
things that you might or might not do with AD.

I've not yet seen a compelling description of a completely open source
complete AD replacement, but for a lot of uses much of the MS
infrastructure can be replaced with Free software and integrated
perfectly well into it. Generally you'd still keep at least a DC per
forest on Windows if only for those bits that can't be done easily for
free.

--
Avi

Old 06-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Amaury Viera Hernndez

for migrating a Active directory,
you can install samba as backup domain controller and openldap as backend, the you need to join the samba server to the active directory, get the sid of the active directory(net rpc getsid -S ip-Ad ) set the sid of you samba server(net setlocalsid newsid), and then you can fetch all the users with the vampire tool(net rpc vampire -U usser%pass -S ip_ad)

after that you need to change your domain master for yes(domain master = yes)(primary domain controller) and shutdown your active directory

for migrating a dhcp server you can use this command in window server

NETSH DHCP SERVER DUMP>c:dhcpdump.txt

Then, you can use the information in the file dhcpdump.txt for migrating a dhcp

If you need to migrate a DNS you can use the w2lmt scripts(w2lmt-0.3.1.tar.gz), usinf w2lmt-migrate-dns and migrate-dns.conf

Enviados: Jueves, 21 de Junio 2012 11:04:05
Asunto: Re: windows to linux migration tools

http://www.uci.cu
http://www.facebook.com/universidad.uci

Old 06-22-2012, 06:38 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

On Thu, June 21, 2012 14:16, compdoc wrote:
>> You can also pay an expensive Linux consultant to do all the work for
>> you.
>
> Expensive is all relative if you need something done properly. Please
> don't
> put us out of work.

"us" includes myself :-p