-   -   12.04 key not prompting for file location anymore (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/674565-12-04-key-not-prompting-file-location-anymore.html)

Dave Woyciesjes 06-19-2012 03:36 PM

12.04 key not prompting for file location anymore

On 06/19/2012 10:27 AM, Marius Gedminas wrote:

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:17:23AM -0400, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:

Upgraded to 12.04 the other day. Now when I hit the [Print Screen]
key, it takes the screenshot; but instead of prompting for where to
put the picture, it just defaults to the Pictures folder.
Searching around the interweb turns up nothing. Any pointers?

Seems to be a new GNOME 3.4 feature. I've found the gsettings key to change
the location, but I haven't found a way to have it pop up a save as
dialog.

(The key is org.gnome.gnome-screenshot.auto-save-directory BTW.)

Marius Gedminas

Thanks. I wonder if leaving that blank would force a prompt?

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

- from some guy on the internet.

Dave Woyciesjes 06-19-2012 03:46 PM

12.04 key not prompting for file location anymore

Upgraded to 12.04 the other day. Now when I hit the [Print Screen]
key, it takes the screenshot; but instead of prompting for where to
put the picture, it just defaults to the Pictures folder.
Searching around the interweb turns up nothing. Any pointers?

Seems to be a new GNOME 3.4 feature. I've found the gsettings key to change
the location, but I haven't found a way to have it pop up a save as
dialog.

(The key is org.gnome.gnome-screenshot.auto-save-directory BTW.)

Marius Gedminas

Hmmm, mine seems to be already empty:

~$ sudo gsettings get org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory
'

Marius Gedminas 06-19-2012 07:31 PM

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 11:46:23AM -0400, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 10:27 AM, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> >On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:17:23AM -0400, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> >> Upgraded to 12.04 the other day. Now when I hit the [Print Screen]
> >>key, it takes the screenshot; but instead of prompting for where to
> >>put the picture, it just defaults to the Pictures folder.
> >> Searching around the interweb turns up nothing. Any pointers?
> >
> >Seems to be a new GNOME 3.4 feature. I've found the gsettings key to change
> >the location, but I haven't found a way to have it pop up a save as
> >dialog.
> >
> >(The key is org.gnome.gnome-screenshot.auto-save-directory BTW.)
> >
> >Marius Gedminas
> >

> Hmmm, mine seems to be already empty:
>
> ~$ sudo gsettings get org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory
> '

AFAIU blank means 'use the Pictures folder' (which can be translated
into your native language etc.).

Marius Gedminas
--
Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

Dave Woyciesjes 06-19-2012 09:47 PM

12.04 key not prompting for file location anymore

Upgraded to 12.04 the other day. Now when I hit the [Print Screen]
key, it takes the screenshot; but instead of prompting for where to
put the picture, it just defaults to the Pictures folder.
Searching around the interweb turns up nothing. Any pointers?

Seems to be a new GNOME 3.4 feature. I've found the gsettings key to change
the location, but I haven't found a way to have it pop up a save as
dialog.

(The key is org.gnome.gnome-screenshot.auto-save-directory BTW.)

Marius Gedminas

Hmmm, mine seems to be already empty:

~$ sudo gsettings get org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory
'

AFAIU blank means 'use the Pictures folder' (which can be translated
into your native language etc.).

Marius Gedminas

Hmm, makes sense. Looks like I need to poke around with the syntax &
options for gsetings to see if there is an option I can insert, like
(prompt) ?

Dave Woyciesjes 06-20-2012 05:05 PM

12.04 key not prompting for file location anymore

Upgraded to 12.04 the other day. Now when I hit the [Print Screen]
key, it takes the screenshot; but instead of prompting for where to
put the picture, it just defaults to the Pictures folder.
Searching around the interweb turns up nothing. Any pointers?

Seems to be a new GNOME 3.4 feature. I've found the gsettings key to change
the location, but I haven't found a way to have it pop up a save as
dialog.

(The key is org.gnome.gnome-screenshot.auto-save-directory BTW.)

Marius Gedminas

Hmmm, mine seems to be already empty:

~$ sudo gsettings get org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory
'

AFAIU blank means 'use the Pictures folder' (which can be translated
into your native language etc.).

Marius Gedminas

Well, I found dconf-editor, which is a GUI for gsettings; and I tried
to set the auto-save directory to something else. But it still saves in
the Pictures folders.
One bit online, from someone else workign with somethign like this,
asked about what ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs has set for XDG_PICTURES_DIR.
On mine, it's my Pictures folder where the screenshots are saved.
All of the bits I'm finding about gnome-screenshot says it's supposed
to ask for a location, but it just ain't happening. The sam eoccurs on
my other 12.04 machine as well...

Anyone?

Dave Woyciesjes 06-20-2012 07:26 PM

[...]

HM, I'm surprised that _nobody_else_ besides Marius has a clue, or is
going to venture any suggestions....

Dave Woyciesjes 06-20-2012 08:59 PM

[...]

Further testing reveals that by invoking the gnome-screenshot GUI; and
clicking Take Screenshot there, I do get prompted where to save.
So I looked around for the keybindings and whatnot that specify what to
do with the Print Screen key, and I have not foudn out how to get that
to open the interactive window for gnome-screenshot....

Marius Gedminas 06-21-2012 07:18 AM

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 03:26:25PM -0400, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 05:47 PM, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:

> >Hmm, makes sense. Looks like I need to poke around with the syntax &
> >options for gsetings to see if there is an option I can insert, like
> >(prompt) ?
>
> HM, I'm surprised that _nobody_else_ besides Marius has a clue, or
> is going to venture any suggestions....

Have you tried http://askubuntu.com? Or asking on IRC -- the GNOME
people seem to gather mostly on irc.gnome.org, judging from the low rate
of questions and (sadly even lower rate of) answers I see on
irc.freenode.org's #gnome channel.

Marius Gedminas

"Alexander Skwar (ML)" 06-21-2012 12:13 PM

12.04 key not prompting for file location anymore

Upgraded to 12.04 the other day. Now when I hit the [Print Screen]
key, it takes the screenshot; but instead of prompting for where to
put the picture, it just defaults to the Pictures folder.
Searching around the interweb turns up nothing. Any pointers?

Seems to be a new GNOME 3.4 feature. I've found the gsettings key to change
the location, but I haven't found a way to have it pop up a save as
dialog.

(The key is org.gnome.gnome-screenshot.auto-save-directory BTW.)

Hm…

How do you change this?

I used to have this:

$ gsettings get org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory
'

When I pressed <Print Screen>, a screenshot was saved in my
~/Bilder directory.

Now I to change the setting:

$ gsettings set org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory
~/Dropbox/Photos/Screenshots/

$ gsettings get org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory
'/home/a.sk/Dropbox/Photos/Screenshots/'

However, when I now press <Print Screen>, the file still gets
created in ~/Bilder and not in /home/a.sk/Dropbox/Photos/Screenshots/
as I would've expected.

Ubuntu 12.04 Gnome Shell (not Unity)

Alexander
--
☄ Google+ ↣ http://plus.skwar.me ☄
☛ Lifestream (Twitter, …) ↣ http://sup.skwar.me ☛

Dave Woyciesjes 06-21-2012 01:36 PM

[...]

That's what I'm seeing. I found that if you look in
~/.config/user-dirs.dirs, and comment out the XDG_PICTURES_DIR line:

XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Pictures"

...it saves the pics in your home folder. But that seems to remove all
refences in the system to any default Pictures folder.

I would like to restore the function where it prompts for a location
when you hit the [Print Screen] key.

Like mentioend before, if you use the gnome-screenshot gui, it does ask...