Old 06-22-2012, 09:35 AM
Marius Gedminas

Default 12.04 key not prompting for file location anymore

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 02:13:28PM +0200, Alexander Skwar (ML) wrote:
> Am 06/19/12 16:27, schrieb Marius Gedminas:
> >On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:17:23AM -0400, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> >> Upgraded to 12.04 the other day. Now when I hit the [Print Screen]
> >>key, it takes the screenshot; but instead of prompting for where to
> >>put the picture, it just defaults to the Pictures folder.
> >> Searching around the interweb turns up nothing. Any pointers?
> >
> >Seems to be a new GNOME 3.4 feature. I've found the gsettings key to change
> >the location, but I haven't found a way to have it pop up a save as
> >dialog.
> >
> >(The key is org.gnome.gnome-screenshot.auto-save-directory BTW.)
>
> Hm…
>
> How do you change this?

$ gsettings set org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory $HOME/img/shots

$ gsettings get org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory
'file:///home/mg/img/shots'

> I used to have this:
>
> $ gsettings get org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory
> '
>
> When I pressed <Print Screen>, a screenshot was saved in my
> ~/Bilder directory.
>
> Now I to change the setting:
>
> $ gsettings set org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory
> ~/Dropbox/Photos/Screenshots/
> $ gsettings get org.gnome.gnome-screenshot auto-save-directory
> '/home/a.sk/Dropbox/Photos/Screenshots/'
>
> However, when I now press <Print Screen>, the file still gets
> created in ~/Bilder and not in /home/a.sk/Dropbox/Photos/Screenshots/
> as I would've expected.

Try an explicit file:/// URL. It works for me.

> Ubuntu 12.04 Gnome Shell (not Unity)

Same here.

Marius Gedminas
--
I code in vi because I don't want to learn another OS.
-- Robert Love

Old 06-22-2012, 09:49 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 21.06.2012, 15:26 -0400 schrieb Dave Woyciesjes:

> gnome-screenshot (3.3.2-0ubuntu3) precise; urgency=low
>
> * debian/patches/ubuntu_interactive_screenshots.patch:
> Now if I could find out how they fixed it for Unity, and if it could be
> applied ty my Gnome Shell install.

you just need to download the gnome-screenshot package and take a look
at the mentioned patch ... it makes the app check if XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
is set to "Unity" ...

if you can make sure that every time gnome-screenshot is called
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity is exported to the apps environment, it should
work under any desktop as desired ...

ciao
oli

Old 06-25-2012, 03:16 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

gnome-screenshot (3.3.2-0ubuntu3) precise; urgency=low

* debian/patches/ubuntu_interactive_screenshots.patch:

Now if I could find out how they fixed it for Unity, and if it could be
applied ty my Gnome Shell install.

you just need to download the gnome-screenshot package and take a look
at the mentioned patch ... it makes the app check if XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
is set to "Unity" ...

if you can make sure that every time gnome-screenshot is called
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity is exported to the apps environment, it should
work under any desktop as desired ...

Ineresting, thanks. Now how to make that happen...

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

- from some guy on the internet.