Old 06-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Hans Vos

Default SSH timeouts from virtual Ubuntu workstation to bare metal servers in home network

Hello,

I currently have the following setup.

- My PC (Windows 7) -> Virtual Box -> Ubuntu 12.04 desktop
- Server 1 (Ubuntu 12.04 server)
- Server 2 (Ubuntu 12.04 server)

The virtual Ubuntu desktop is using a "Bridged Adapter" configuration.
When I setup a SSH connection from my Ubuntu desktop to one of my Ubuntu
servers I get a timeout after a while, even when the session is not
idle. It happens after a few minutes even when something is happening in
the terminal window. I get the following error message:

"Timeout, server host.example.org not responding."

On my Ubuntu desktop I've already put the following line in my
~/.ssh/config file but it doesn't help:

"ServerAliveInterval 5"

What might be the problem and how can I solve this?

Kind regards,

Hans Vos

Old 06-26-2012, 07:02 AM
Hans Vos

- My PC (Windows 7) -> Virtual Box -> Ubuntu 12.04 desktop
- Server 1 (Ubuntu 12.04 server)
- Server 2 (Ubuntu 12.04 server)

The virtual Ubuntu desktop is using a "Bridged Adapter" configuration.
When I setup a SSH connection from my Ubuntu desktop to one of my Ubuntu
servers I get a timeout after a while, even when the session is not
idle. It happens after a few minutes even when something is happening in
the terminal window. I get the following error message:

"Timeout, server host.example.org not responding."

On my Ubuntu desktop I've already put the following line in my
~/.ssh/config file but it doesn't help:

"ServerAliveInterval 5"

What might be the problem and how can I solve this?

The problem is a somewhat more persistent than previously noticed. It
seems that my network connection drops every few minutes and restores
itself after 20 seconds or so. I have no idea as to the exact cause. I
switched to NAT networking instead of bridged and now the problem seems
to have disappeared. Can anybody share some light on this and how I can
get bridged networking to work again?

--
Kind regards,

Hans