-   -   lost upgrades (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/674250-lost-upgrades.html)

Udvarias Ur 06-18-2012 08:19 PM

lost upgrades

Earlier today 'Upgrade
Manager' informed me that there were 15 packages to upgrade.

*** Security upgrades:
involving several
apt related packages. and

*** Purposed upgrades:
involving several kernel related packages.

I've been postponing upgrading to 12.04 until after I've
successfully installed the nVidia driver I downloaded.

After I accepted the installation of these 15 packages, I got (I
now know) the mistaken impression that 12.04 was being installed.
I used 'Top' to kill 'Upgrade Manager.' Now neither 'Upgrade Manager' nor 'Aptitude Package Manager' will
even find let alone install these upgrades.

How can I remedy this problem?

--
Udvarias Ur

This letter was generated and sent from Thunderbird on Ubuntu Linux.

Colin Law 06-18-2012 08:27 PM

lost upgrades

On 18 June 2012 21:19, Udvarias Ur <udvarias1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Earlier today 'Upgrade Manager' informed me that there were 15 packages to
> upgrade.
>
> *** Security upgrades: involving several apt related packages. and
> *** Purposed upgrades: involving several kernel related packages.
>
> I've been postponing upgrading to 12.04 until after I've successfully
> installed the nVidia driver I downloaded.
>
> After I accepted the installation of these 15 packages, I got (I now know)
> the mistaken impression that 12.04 was being installed. I used 'Top' to kill
> 'Upgrade Manager.' Now neither 'Upgrade Manager' nor 'Aptitude Package
> Manager' will even find let alone install these upgrades.
>
> How can I remedy this problem?

In a terminal try
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Colin

Udvarias Ur 06-18-2012 09:53 PM

lost upgrades

Earlier today 'Upgrade Manager' informed me that there were 15 packages to
upgrade.

*** Security upgrades: involving several apt related packages. and
*** Purposed upgrades: involving several kernel related packages.

I've been postponing upgrading to 12.04 until after I've successfully
installed the nVidia driver I downloaded.

After I accepted the installation of these 15 packages, I got (I now know)
the mistaken impression that 12.04 was being installed. I used 'Top' to kill
'Upgrade Manager.' Now neither 'Upgrade Manager' nor 'Aptitude Package
Manager' will even find let alone install these upgrades.

How can I remedy this problem?

In a terminal try
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Colin

Tried it. Doesn't seem
to have done anything.

*** Regarding apt, only directory dates have changed to 2012-06-18

*** Regarding the kernel, still running 3.0.0-22.

Da Kiwi 06-18-2012 10:03 PM

lost upgrades

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 17:53:15 -0400
Udvarias Ur <udvarias1@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12-06-18 04:27 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> > On 18 June 2012 21:19, Udvarias Ur <udvarias1@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Earlier today 'Upgrade Manager' informed me that there were 15 packages to
> >> upgrade.
> >>
> >> Security upgrades: involving several apt related packages. and
> >> Purposed upgrades: involving several kernel related packages.
> >>
> >> I've been postponing upgrading to 12.04 until after I've successfully
> >> installed the nVidia driver I downloaded.
> >>
> >> After I accepted the installation of these 15 packages, I got (I now know)
> >> the mistaken impression that 12.04 was being installed. I used 'Top' to kill
> >> 'Upgrade Manager.' Now neither 'Upgrade Manager' nor 'Aptitude Package
> >> Manager' will even find let alone install these upgrades.
> >>
> >> How can I remedy this problem?
> > In a terminal try
> > sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> >
> > Colin
> >
> Tried it. Doesn't seem to have done anything.
> Regarding apt, only directory dates have changed to 2012-06-18
> Regarding the kernel, still running 3.0.0-22.
>
> --
> Udvarias Ur
>
> This letter was generated and sent from Thunderbird on Ubuntu Linux.

Try using synaptic and choose fix broken packages from the edit menu. Then run the commands
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

--
Da Kiwi <chevhq@gmail.com>

C de-Avillez 06-18-2012 10:29 PM

lost upgrades

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 17:53:15 -0400
Udvarias Ur <udvarias1@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip/>

> Tried it. Doesn't seem to have done anything.
> Regarding apt, only directory dates have changed to 2012-06-18
> Regarding the kernel, still running 3.0.0-22.

If you cancelled the update manager, all bets are off on where it
might have been when the rug was taken.

So your best option is, right now, to give us the output of running
'apt-get dist-upgrade'. It is quite possible a clue will be given there
(I suspect 'dpkg --configure -a' might be it).

Cheers,

..C..

Jonesy 06-19-2012 12:17 PM

lost upgrades

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 21:27:00 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> On 18 June 2012 21:19, Udvarias Ur <udvarias1@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Earlier today 'Upgrade Manager' informed me that there were 15 packages to
>> upgrade.
>>
>> *** Security upgrades: involving several apt related packages. and
>> *** Purposed upgrades: involving several kernel related packages.
>>
>> I've been postponing upgrading to 12.04 until after I've successfully
>> installed the nVidia driver I downloaded.
>>
>> After I accepted the installation of these 15 packages, I got (I now know)
>> the mistaken impression that 12.04 was being installed. I used 'Top' to kill
>> 'Upgrade Manager.' Now neither 'Upgrade Manager' nor 'Aptitude Package
>> Manager' will even find let alone install these upgrades.
>>
>> How can I remedy this problem?
>
> In a terminal try
> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Isn't there probably a lock-file that needs to be cleared?
I once had something similar with a power outage during an
update/upgrade.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux

Avi Greenbury 06-19-2012 12:47 PM

lost upgrades

Jonesy wrote:

> Isn't there probably a lock-file that needs to be cleared?
> I once had something similar with a power outage during an
> update/upgrade.

Yes. /var/lib/apt/lists/lock and /var/lib/dpkg/lock

Open up a shell, and run

sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock
sudo apt-get -f install

Which will try to finish the installation. Paste any output into
pastebin.ubuntu.com and paste the URL in a reply if it fails.

Else you should then be good to upgrade to 12.04.

--
Avi