Old 01-01-1970, 01:00 AM

Default Can't play DVD movies

VLC gives me this message

Playback failure:
DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/dvd".
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/dvd'. Check the log for details.
Playback failure:
DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/dvd".
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/dvd'. Check the log for details.
Playback failure:
DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/dvd".
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/dvd'. Check the log for details.

I was trying to play Lord Of The Rings - The Fellowship Of The Ring. The basic dvd version, nothing fancy, not the Blu-Ray version.

I don't know what else to tell you.

Any/All help will be appreciated.

Thank You

Old 06-17-2012, 04:52 PM
William Scott Lockwood III

On Jun 17, 2012 11:48 AM, <jimmckenzie@earthlink.net> wrote:

> VLC gives me this message

> Playback failure:

> DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/dvd".

> Your input can't be opened:

> VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/dvd'. Check the log for details.

> Playback failure:

> DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/dvd".

> Your input can't be opened:

> VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/dvd'. Check the log for details.

> Playback failure:

> DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/dvd".

> Your input can't be opened:

> VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/dvd'. Check the log for details.

> I was trying to play Lord Of The Rings - The Fellowship Of The Ring. The basic dvd version, nothing fancy, not the Blu-Ray version.

> I don't know what else to tell you.

> Any/All help will be appreciated.

> Thank You

What do the logs reveal?

Old 06-17-2012, 05:03 PM
Conny Enström

DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/dvd".
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/dvd'. Check the log for details.
Playback failure:
DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/dvd".
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/dvd'. Check the log for details.
Playback failure:
DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/dvd".
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/dvd'. Check the log for details.

I was trying to play Lord Of The Rings - The Fellowship Of The Ring. The basic dvd version, nothing fancy, not the Blu-Ray version.

I don't know what else to tell you.

Any/All help will be appreciated.

Thank You

Did you install the Medibuntu repo? http://www.medibuntu.org/

I think you will need to install libdvdcss2.

Conny

Old 06-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Ryan Gauger

You might try installing the Ubuntu Restricted Extras package.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Mika Suomalainen

On 17.06.2012 19:47, jimmckenzie@earthlink.net wrote:
> VLC gives me this message
>
> Playback failure: DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/dvd". Your
> input can't be opened: VLC is unable to open the MRL
> 'dvd:///dev/dvd'. Check the log for details. Playback failure:
> DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/dvd". Your input can't be
> opened: VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/dvd'. Check the
> log for details. Playback failure: DVDRead could not open the disc
> "/dev/dvd". Your input can't be opened: VLC is unable to open the
> MRL 'dvd:///dev/dvd'. Check the log for details.
>
> I was trying to play Lord Of The Rings - The Fellowship Of The
> Ring. The basic dvd version, nothing fancy, not the Blu-Ray
> version.
>
> I don't know what else to tell you.
>
> Any/All help will be appreciated.
>
> Thank You

Do you have libdvdcss2 installed? I think that it's required to show
most of commercial movies on Linux.

For more information, see
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs

- --
[Mika Suomalainen](https://mkaysi.github.com/) ||

NOTICE! I am on mobile broadband with very limited time, so I cannot
read emails very much.
The best time to contact me is probably week ends when I have better
connectivity with good luck.

[gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys
4DB53CFE82A46728](http://mkaysi.github.com/PGP/key.txt) ||
[Why do I sign my
emails?](http://mkaysi.github.com/PGP/WhyDoISignEmails.html) ||
[Please don't send
HTML.](http://mkaysi.github.com/articles/complaining/HTML.html) ||
[This signature](https://gist.github.com/2643070#file_icedove.md) ||

[Please reply below this
line](http://mkaysi.github.com/articles/complaining/topposting.html)

Old 06-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Pop Horea

http://lnxopensource.org/tipsatriks/79-playing-original-dvds

Old 06-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Sam Sebastian

In order for me to use VLC or any other program for that mattern I havr to choose /dev/sr0 (on my laptop at least) hope that this helps and that you have solved the problem. I think you can use gparted (or "disk utility") to check what your computer is assigning the dvd to. Great movie choice btw!