Old 06-17-2012, 07:48 AM
Andrew d~_*b

Default UEFI Secure Boot planned to be implemented in Fedora 18

I am not sure if you are aware but here is a FYI -

Fedora 18 Secure Boot
---------------------------------------
With the general availability of Fedora 17, work has now commenced on Fedora
18. The release cycle for Fedora 18, nicknamed the Spherical Cow, coincides
with the release time frame for Microsoft's Windows 8.

As opposed to previous releases of Windows, Microsoft this time around is
imposing its' will on hardware vendors with a new Secure UEFI boot system.
With Secure UEFI a signed digital key will be required in order for an
operating system to boot. It's a problem that could potentially make it
impossible for Linux users to boot Linux on new hardware.

Fedora has one possible solution It involves paying VeriSign for a key that
Microsoft will then use with hardware vendors. Fedora developer Matthew Garret
provides all the gory detail in a blog post.

"In all probability, this is the approach we'll take. Our first stage
bootloader will be signed with a Microsoft key."

Old 06-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Ric Moore