-   -   hover over music files (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/672512-hover-over-music-files.html)

"G. " 05-30-2012 06:30 AM

hover over music files

One of my favorite little features in Ubuntu has been the ability to
hover over a music file and have the song play without having to open
Rhythm Box Banshee etc. This feature is not working in my install of
12.04. Did it disappear from Ubuntu altogether?

Thanks

garyk

Soare Catalin 05-30-2012 07:39 AM

hover over music files

On May 30, 2012 9:31 AM, "G." <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:

> One of my favorite little features in Ubuntu has been the ability to

> hover over a music file and have the song play without having to open

> Rhythm Box Banshee etc. *This feature is not working in my install of

> 12.04. *Did it disappear from Ubuntu altogether?

> Thanks

> garyk

I miss that feature too.

Unfortunately this feature appears to have been lost during the upgrade to gnome 3 :-(

You may look at alternatives such as sushi, or some similar.

Ric Moore 05-30-2012 09:40 AM

hover over music files

<mailto:pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com>> wrote:

> One of my favorite little features in Ubuntu has been the ability to
> hover over a music file and have the song play without having to open
> Rhythm Box Banshee etc. This feature is not working in my install of
> 12.04. Did it disappear from Ubuntu altogether?
I miss that feature too.
Unfortunately this feature appears to have been lost during the upgrade
to gnome 3 :-(

I love it when things are so improved. You just made me look, and
neither thunar nor dolphin will play sound files by hovering them.
Damn... Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

"G. " 05-30-2012 02:09 PM

hover over music files

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/30/2012 03:39 AM, Soare Catalin wrote:
>>
>> On May 30, 2012 9:31 AM, "G." <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com
>> <mailto:pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> *>
>> *> One of my favorite little features in Ubuntu has been the ability to
>> *> hover over a music file and have the song play without having to open
>> *> Rhythm Box Banshee etc. *This feature is not working in my install of
>> *> 12.04. *Did it disappear from Ubuntu altogether?
>> I miss that feature too.
>> Unfortunately this feature appears to have been lost during the upgrade
>> to gnome 3 :-(
>

> I love it when things are so improved. You just made me look, and neither
> thunar nor dolphin will play sound files by hovering them. Damn... Ric

> http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Waaaahhhh!

garyk

Ric Moore 05-30-2012 06:16 PM

hover over music files

On 05/30/2012 03:39 AM, Soare Catalin wrote:

On May 30, 2012 9:31 AM, "G."<pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com
<mailto:pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com>> wrote:

> One of my favorite little features in Ubuntu has been the ability to
> hover over a music file and have the song play without having to open
> Rhythm Box Banshee etc. This feature is not working in my install of
> 12.04. Did it disappear from Ubuntu altogether?
I miss that feature too.
Unfortunately this feature appears to have been lost during the upgrade
to gnome 3 :-(

I love it when things are so improved. You just made me look, and neither
thunar nor dolphin will play sound files by hovering them. Damn... Ric

Waaaahhhh!
Heh, it WAS one of those things that I could show off to my Win using
associates, so that they could see just how KEWL Ubuntu was. We instead
appear to de-evolve here. Damn... Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Graham Watkins 05-30-2012 07:39 PM

hover over music files

One of my favorite little features in Ubuntu has been the ability to
hover over a music file and have the song play without having to open
Rhythm Box Banshee etc. This feature is not working in my install of
12.04. Did it disappear from Ubuntu altogether?

Thanks

garyk

The good news: it appears to be functioning in Mate on my virtual box
installation.

The bad news: it only plays the first 30 seconds or so of any track:(

Cheers,

Graham

Ric Moore 05-30-2012 09:29 PM

hover over music files

One of my favorite little features in Ubuntu has been the ability to
hover over a music file and have the song play without having to open
Rhythm Box Banshee etc. This feature is not working in my install of
12.04. Did it disappear from Ubuntu altogether?

Thanks

garyk

The good news: it appears to be functioning in Mate on my virtual box
installation.

The bad news: it only plays the first 30 seconds or so of any track:(

What is it using?? XFCE had no problem with this in 11.10 but I don't
think I was using thunar. Thanks, Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

"Amedee Van Gasse" 05-31-2012 06:39 AM

hover over music files

On Wed, May 30, 2012 20:16, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 05/30/2012 10:09 AM, G. wrote:
>> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Ric Moore<wayward4now@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I love it when things are so improved. You just made me look, and
>>> neither
>>> thunar nor dolphin will play sound files by hovering them. Damn... Ric
>
>> Waaaahhhh!
> Heh, it WAS one of those things that I could show off to my Win using
> associates, so that they could see just how KEWL Ubuntu was. We instead
> appear to de-evolve here. Damn... Ric

Hey, all of you... where is the Launchpad bug report about this?

Ric Moore 05-31-2012 08:53 AM

hover over music files

On 05/30/2012 03:39 AM, Soare Catalin wrote:

On May 30, 2012 9:31 AM, "G."<pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com
<mailto:pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com>> wrote:

> One of my favorite little features in Ubuntu has been the ability
> hover over a music file and have the song play without having to
open
> Rhythm Box Banshee etc. This feature is not working in my
install of
> 12.04. Did it disappear from Ubuntu altogether?
I miss that feature too.
Unfortunately this feature appears to have been lost during the
upgrade
to gnome 3 :-(

I love it when things are so improved. You just made me look, and
neither
thunar nor dolphin will play sound files by hovering them. Damn... Ric

Waaaahhhh!

Heh, it WAS one of those things that I could show off to my Win using
associates, so that they could see just how KEWL Ubuntu was. We instead
appear to de-evolve here. Damn... Ric

Hey, all of you... where is the Launchpad bug report about this?

I didn't think of filing a bug report as it just seemed like another
deleted piece of the new paradigm. So. I just jumped through the hoops
to get something broken that is supposed to return the thumbnail play
back. It does, sorta. If you google the problem it seems no one has the
old audio/video preview with 12.04. It's just gone. At least it's gone
as it used to be. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Graham Watkins 05-31-2012 08:05 PM

hover over music files

One of my favorite little features in Ubuntu has been the ability to
hover over a music file and have the song play without having to open
Rhythm Box Banshee etc. This feature is not working in my install of
12.04. Did it disappear from Ubuntu altogether?

Thanks

garyk

The good news: it appears to be functioning in Mate on my virtual box
installation.

The bad news: it only plays the first 30 seconds or so of any track:(

What is it using?? XFCE had no problem with this in 11.10 but I don\'t
think I was using thunar. Thanks, Ric

Caja 1.2.2

Never heard of it myself till now.

Cheers,