Old 05-29-2012, 11:53 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default should i have all man pages referenced by *other* man pages?

not sure if this question is appropriate for this list, but i'm
reading the man pages for threads, and in "man 7 pthreads", toward the
bottom, there are references to other man page entries:

"... pthread_mutex_lock(3), pthread_mutex_unlock(3) ..."

first, there are no such man pages:

$ man 3 pthread_mutex_lock
No manual entry for pthread_mutex_lock in section 3
$ man 3 pthread_mutex_unlock
No manual entry for pthread_mutex_unlock in section 3
$

also, that list under "SEE ALSO" doesn't mention the closely-related
routine pthread_mutex_trylock().

is this considered a bug? something worth reporting somewhere?

rday

Robert P. J. Day Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 05-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Krzysztof Mitko

On 2012-05-29 13:53, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> not sure if this question is appropriate for this list, but i'm
> reading the man pages for threads, and in "man 7 pthreads", toward the
> bottom, there are references to other man page entries:
>
> "... pthread_mutex_lock(3), pthread_mutex_unlock(3) ..."
>
> first, there are no such man pages:
>
> $ man 3 pthread_mutex_lock
> No manual entry for pthread_mutex_lock in section 3
> $ man 3 pthread_mutex_unlock
> No manual entry for pthread_mutex_unlock in section 3
> $
>
> also, that list under "SEE ALSO" doesn't mention the closely-related
> routine pthread_mutex_trylock().
>
> is this considered a bug? something worth reporting somewhere?

You need manpages-dev package, which AFAIR is not installed by default.
Fill a bug or submit a brainstorm idea if you think all manpages should
be available by default.

--
Best regards,
Krzysztof Mitko

Old 05-29-2012, 12:26 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Tue, 29 May 2012, Krzysztof Mitko wrote:

> On 2012-05-29 13:53, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > not sure if this question is appropriate for this list, but i'm
> > reading the man pages for threads, and in "man 7 pthreads", toward the
> > bottom, there are references to other man page entries:
> >
> > "... pthread_mutex_lock(3), pthread_mutex_unlock(3) ..."
> >
> > first, there are no such man pages:
> >
> > $ man 3 pthread_mutex_lock
> > No manual entry for pthread_mutex_lock in section 3
> > $ man 3 pthread_mutex_unlock
> > No manual entry for pthread_mutex_unlock in section 3
> > $
> >
> > also, that list under "SEE ALSO" doesn't mention the closely-related
> > routine pthread_mutex_trylock().
> >
> > is this considered a bug? something worth reporting somewhere?
>
> You need manpages-dev package, which AFAIR is not installed by default.
> Fill a bug or submit a brainstorm idea if you think all manpages should
> be available by default.

it would appear i already have manpages-dev installed (not that i
remember installing it, so something else must have dragged it along).
so it would appear there are definite deficiencies in the man pages.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Krzysztof Mitko

On 2012-05-29 14:26, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2012, Krzysztof Mitko wrote:
>
>> On 2012-05-29 13:53, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>>
>>> not sure if this question is appropriate for this list, but i'm
>>> reading the man pages for threads, and in "man 7 pthreads", toward the
>>> bottom, there are references to other man page entries:
>>>
>>> "... pthread_mutex_lock(3), pthread_mutex_unlock(3) ..."
>>>
>>> first, there are no such man pages:
>>>
>>> $ man 3 pthread_mutex_lock
>>> No manual entry for pthread_mutex_lock in section 3
>>> $ man 3 pthread_mutex_unlock
>>> No manual entry for pthread_mutex_unlock in section 3
>>> $
>>>
>>> also, that list under "SEE ALSO" doesn't mention the closely-related
>>> routine pthread_mutex_trylock().
>>>
>>> is this considered a bug? something worth reporting somewhere?
>>
>> You need manpages-dev package, which AFAIR is not installed by default.
>> Fill a bug or submit a brainstorm idea if you think all manpages should
>> be available by default.
>
> it would appear i already have manpages-dev installed (not that i
> remember installing it, so something else must have dragged it along).
> so it would appear there are definite deficiencies in the man pages.

My bad, I took a look on packages.ubuntu.com and these manpages are in
packages manpages-posix-dev.

--
Best regards,
Krzysztof Mitko

Old 05-29-2012, 12:43 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Tue, 29 May 2012, Krzysztof Mitko wrote:

> On 2012-05-29 14:26, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> >> You need manpages-dev package, which AFAIR is not installed by default.
> >> Fill a bug or submit a brainstorm idea if you think all manpages should
> >> be available by default.
> >
> > it would appear i already have manpages-dev installed (not that i
> > remember installing it, so something else must have dragged it along).
> > so it would appear there are definite deficiencies in the man pages.
>
> My bad, I took a look on packages.ubuntu.com and these manpages are in
> packages manpages-posix-dev.

ah, that i *don't* have so installing it now, but it will still be
curious if that fills in the holes since it would imply that some
pthread routine man pages come from one package and some from another,
even when they're *very* closely related. (oh, and there's a
"manpages-posix" package as well of which i was unaware.)

ah, suddenly, i have man pages for the pthread mutex locking
primitives, but in the "P" section of the docs:

PTHREAD_MUTEX_LOCK(P) POSIX Programmer's Manual

NAME
pthread_mutex_lock, pthread_mutex_trylock, pthread_mutex_unlock - lock and unlock a mutex

SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h>

int pthread_mutex_lock(pthread_mutex_t *mutex);
int pthread_mutex_trylock(pthread_mutex_t *mutex);
int pthread_mutex_unlock(pthread_mutex_t *mutex);
... snip ...

but that disagrees with the references at the bottom of "man 7
pthreads":

"... pthread_mutex_lock(3), pthread_mutex_unlock(3) ..."

which clearly refers to the wrong section, and also doesn't mention
the "trylock" variation. oh, dear, what can of worms have i
opened here?

Old 05-29-2012, 01:31 PM
sktsee

On Tue, 29 May 2012 08:43:32 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

[snip]

> ah, suddenly, i have man pages for the pthread mutex locking
> primitives, but in the "P" section of the docs:
>
> PTHREAD_MUTEX_LOCK(P) POSIX Programmer's Manual
>
> NAME
> pthread_mutex_lock, pthread_mutex_trylock, pthread_mutex_unlock -
> lock and unlock a mutex
>
> SYNOPSIS
> #include <pthread.h>
>
> int pthread_mutex_lock(pthread_mutex_t *mutex);
> int pthread_mutex_trylock(pthread_mutex_t *mutex);
> int pthread_mutex_unlock(pthread_mutex_t *mutex);
> ... snip ...
>
> but that disagrees with the references at the bottom of "man 7
> pthreads":
>
> "... pthread_mutex_lock(3), pthread_mutex_unlock(3) ..."
>
> which clearly refers to the wrong section, and also doesn't mention the
> "trylock" variation. oh, dear, what can of worms have i opened here?

You also need to install the glibc-doc package.

BTW, Ubuntu provides man page documentation online at manpages.ubuntu.com.

--
sktsee

Old 05-29-2012, 01:34 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Tue, 29 May 2012, sktsee wrote:

> On Tue, 29 May 2012 08:43:32 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >
> > ah, suddenly, i have man pages for the pthread mutex locking
> > primitives, but in the "P" section of the docs:
> >
> > PTHREAD_MUTEX_LOCK(P) POSIX Programmer's Manual
> >
> > NAME
> > pthread_mutex_lock, pthread_mutex_trylock, pthread_mutex_unlock -
> > lock and unlock a mutex
> >
> > SYNOPSIS
> > #include <pthread.h>
> >
> > int pthread_mutex_lock(pthread_mutex_t *mutex);
> > int pthread_mutex_trylock(pthread_mutex_t *mutex);
> > int pthread_mutex_unlock(pthread_mutex_t *mutex);
> > ... snip ...
> >
> > but that disagrees with the references at the bottom of "man 7
> > pthreads":
> >
> > "... pthread_mutex_lock(3), pthread_mutex_unlock(3) ..."
> >
> > which clearly refers to the wrong section, and also doesn't mention the
> > "trylock" variation. oh, dear, what can of worms have i opened here?
> >

> You also need to install the glibc-doc package.

any others i should know about? :-)

Old 05-29-2012, 01:47 PM
sktsee

On Tue, 29 May 2012 09:34:35 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> On Tue, 29 May 2012, sktsee wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 29 May 2012 08:43:32 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>> >
>> > ah, suddenly, i have man pages for the pthread mutex locking
>> > primitives, but in the "P" section of the docs:
>> >
>> > PTHREAD_MUTEX_LOCK(P) POSIX Programmer's Manual
>> >
>> > NAME
>> > pthread_mutex_lock, pthread_mutex_trylock,
>> > pthread_mutex_unlock -
>> > lock and unlock a mutex
>> >
>> > SYNOPSIS
>> > #include <pthread.h>
>> >
>> > int pthread_mutex_lock(pthread_mutex_t *mutex);
>> > int pthread_mutex_trylock(pthread_mutex_t *mutex);
>> > int pthread_mutex_unlock(pthread_mutex_t *mutex);
>> > ... snip ...
>> >
>> > but that disagrees with the references at the bottom of "man 7
>> > pthreads":
>> >
>> > "... pthread_mutex_lock(3), pthread_mutex_unlock(3) ..."
>> >
>> > which clearly refers to the wrong section, and also doesn't mention
>> > the "trylock" variation. oh, dear, what can of worms have i opened
>> > here?
>> >

>> You also need to install the glibc-doc package.
>
> any others i should know about? :-)
>
> rday

A nice feature of manpages.ubuntu.com is that it displays which package a
particular manpage originates from. That's how I knew you needed to
install glibc-doc

Old 08-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Kai Petzke