Old 05-28-2012, 08:52 PM
"John R. Sowden"

Default Gnome top bar

How do I access the Gnome features selections? How do I put icons on the
top bar? How do I delete an icon from the top bar? Why is there no
icon on the top bar indicating that I am connected/not connected to the
net, as per Ubuntu documentation? Oh yes, and why is "Ubuntu" not in the
spelling dictionary?

Old 05-28-2012, 09:38 PM
Liam Proven

On 28 May 2012 21:52, John R. Sowden <jsowden@americansentry.net> wrote:
> How do I access the Gnome features selections? How do I put icons on the top
> bar? *How do I delete an icon from the top bar? *Why is there no icon on the
> top bar indicating that I am connected/not connected to the net, as per
> Ubuntu documentation? Oh yes, and why is "Ubuntu" not in the spelling
> dictionary? *

What version of Ubuntu?

If you are running Unity, you can'd put applets in the bar any more.
That functionality is gone. However you can have an assortment of
"indicators" as they are now called.

There is a Network Manager icon, much the same as before.

As for the dictionary - I had not noticed that but if so it's an
amusing omission!

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 05-28-2012, 09:42 PM
"John R. Sowden"

How do I access the Gnome features selections? How do I put icons on the top
bar? How do I delete an icon from the top bar? Why is there no icon on the
top bar indicating that I am connected/not connected to the net, as per
Ubuntu documentation? Oh yes, and why is "Ubuntu" not in the spelling
dictionary?

What version of Ubuntu?

If you are running Unity, you can'd put applets in the bar any more.
That functionality is gone. However you can have an assortment of
"indicators" as they are now called.

There is a Network Manager icon, much the same as before.

As for the dictionary - I had not noticed that but if so it's an
amusing omission!

Version 12.04. I am using Gnome, the the smartphone look-alike, Unity
John

Old 05-28-2012, 09:45 PM
"John R. Sowden"

How do I access the Gnome features selections? How do I put icons on
the top
bar? How do I delete an icon from the top bar? Why is there no
icon on the

top bar indicating that I am connected/not connected to the net, as per
Ubuntu documentation? Oh yes, and why is "Ubuntu" not in the spelling
dictionary?

What version of Ubuntu?

If you are running Unity, you can'd put applets in the bar any more.
That functionality is gone. However you can have an assortment of
"indicators" as they are now called.

There is a Network Manager icon, much the same as before.

As for the dictionary - I had not noticed that but if so it's an
amusing omission!

Version 12.04. I am using Gnome, the the smartphone look-alike, Unity
John

correction: NOT the smartphone look-alike, Unity

Old 05-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Liam Proven

On 28 May 2012 22:42, John R. Sowden <jsowden@americansentry.net> wrote:
> On 05/28/2012 02:38 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> On 28 May 2012 21:52, John R. Sowden<jsowden@americansentry.net> *wrote:
>>>
>>> How do I access the Gnome features selections? How do I put icons on the
>>> top
>>> bar? *How do I delete an icon from the top bar? *Why is there no icon on
>>> the
>>> top bar indicating that I am connected/not connected to the net, as per
>>> Ubuntu documentation? Oh yes, and why is "Ubuntu" not in the spelling
>>> dictionary? *
>>
>> What version of Ubuntu?
>>
>> If you are running Unity, you can'd put applets in the bar any more.
>> That functionality is gone. However you can have an assortment of
>> "indicators" as they are now called.
>>
>> There is a Network Manager icon, much the same as before.
>>
>> As for the dictionary - I had not noticed that but if so it's an
>> amusing omission!
>>

> Version 12.04. *I am using Gnome, the the smartphone look-alike, Unity
> John

GNOME 3?

In that case, you're a bit outside the remit of ordinary Ubuntu
support, since you've installed your own desktop!

If you are in GNOME Shell, I don't think you can add or customise the
top panel. I can't say more; I tried it for a few weeks and /really/
did not like it.

If you're in Fallback Mode, the old 2-panel-style desktop, then you
have to hold down a modifier key - I can't remember if it's Alt or
Shift - while you right-click. Beware that as GNOME 3 is based on
GTK3, GNOME 2 applets won't work - they're based on GTK2 - and there
are almost no applets available for Fallback Mode, as it's only meant
to be a standby if you don't have working 3D acceleration.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 05-29-2012, 06:15 AM
Norman Silverstone

[...]

And if you are not happy with all of this, change to Xubuntu, I did and
I am content.

Norman

Old 05-29-2012, 06:27 AM
chris

On Tue, 2012-05-29 at 07:15 +0100, Norman Silverstone wrote:
> On 28/05/12 22:47, Liam Proven wrote:
> >
> > If you're in Fallback Mode, the old 2-panel-style desktop, then you
> > have to hold down a modifier key - I can't remember if it's Alt or
> > Shift - while you right-click. Beware that as GNOME 3 is based on
> > GTK3, GNOME 2 applets won't work - they're based on GTK2 - and there
> > are almost no applets available for Fallback Mode, as it's only meant
> > to be a standby if you don't have working 3D acceleration.
> >

> And if you are not happy with all of this, change to Xubuntu, I did and
> I am content.
>
> Norman

+1

--
Cheers the Kiwi

Old 05-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Ric Moore

How do I access the Gnome features selections? How do I put icons on the

<snip>

If you're in Fallback Mode, the old 2-panel-style desktop, then you
have to hold down a modifier key - I can't remember if it's Alt or
Shift - while you right-click. Beware that as GNOME 3 is based on
GTK3, GNOME 2 applets won't work - they're based on GTK2 - and there
are almost no applets available for Fallback Mode, as it's only meant
to be a standby if you don't have working 3D acceleration.

And if you are not happy with all of this, change to Xubuntu, I did and
I am content.

Norman

+1

...and, you get ALL your goodies back too! Just install xfce on top of
what you have. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 05-31-2012, 01:05 AM
Art Edwards

On 05/29/2012 01:57 AM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 05/29/2012 02:27 AM, chris wrote:
>> <snip>

>>> And if you are not happy with all of this, change to Xubuntu, I did and
>>> I am content.
>>>
>>> Norman
>>>

>> +1
>
> ...and, you get ALL your goodies back too! Just install xfce on top of
> what you have. Ric

Another option is mate. I'm running xubuntu, and I installed mate. It
does have the "gnome-2est" environment, but it uses a fair bit of CPU,
and the graphics are similar to CentOS. However, its stability is very
impressive, and it looks to make very rapid progress.

Art Edwards