Old 05-27-2012, 04:58 AM
Art Edwards

Default cannot install gmsh in oneiric: anyone tried precise?

gmsh, a 3-d mesh generator, installs well in natty, but not in oneiric.
I did just file a bug report. I'm wondering whether this has been sorted
out in precise. Does anyone have any experience?

Art Edwards

Old 05-27-2012, 06:08 AM
Rigved Rakshit

gmsh, a 3-d mesh generator, installs well in natty, but not in oneiric.

I did just file a bug report. I'm wondering whether this has been sorted

out in precise. Does anyone have any experience?
gmsh can be installed in precise. It requires the removal of libhdf5-serial-1.8.4, but otherwise it can be installed.

Best Regards,
Rigved Rakshit

Old 05-27-2012, 06:21 AM
Art Edwards

mesh generator, installs well in natty, but not in oneiric.

I did just file a bug report. I'm wondering whether this has
been sorted

out in precise. Does anyone have any experience?

gmsh can be installed in precise. It requires the removal of
libhdf5-serial-1.8.4, but otherwise it can be installed.

Best Regards,

Rigved Rakshit

Thanks for the response. I thought I would try the same remedy in
oneiric. However, it seems that octave, dx, scilab, and grace depend
on libhdf5-serial-1.8.4. Do you know if this is true in precise? I'm
installing gmsh to work with octave.

Art Edwards

Old 05-28-2012, 06:34 AM
Rigved Rakshit

However, it seems that octave, dx, scilab, and grace depend
on libhdf5-serial-1.8.4. Do you know if this is true in precise?
octave depends on libhdf5-serial-1.8.4 or libhdf5-1.8.4
dx depends on libhdf4-0-alt
scilab depends on libhdf5-serial-1.8.4 or libhdf5-1.8.4

grace does not depend on any libhdf package
*I'm
installing gmsh to work with octave.

gmsh depends on libmed1
libmed1 depends on libhdf5-openmpi-1.8.4
libhdf5-openmpi-1.8.4 conflicts with libhdf5-1.8, libhdf5-1.8.3 and libhdf5-1.8.4

It is because of this conflict that libhdf5-serial-1.8.4 is to be removed.

Looking through all the files installed by libhdf5-openmpi-1.8.4 and libhdf5-serial-1.8.4, the following files are present in both the packages.

/usr/lib/libhdf5.so.6
/usr/lib/libhdf5.so.6.0.3
/usr/lib/libhdf5_fortran.so.6
/usr/lib/libhdf5_fortran.so.6.0.3
/usr/lib/libhdf5_hl.so.6
/usr/lib/libhdf5_hl.so.6.0.3
/usr/lib/libhdf5hl_fortran.so.6

/usr/lib/libhdf5hl_fortran.so.6.0.3

These files are causing the conflict.

Also, libhdf5-serial-1.8.4 contains some extra cpp files which are not present in libhdf5-openmpi-1.8.4:

/usr/lib/libhdf5_cpp.so.6

/usr/lib/libhdf5_cpp.so.6.0.3
/usr/lib/libhdf5_hl_cpp.so.6
/usr/lib/libhdf5_hl_cpp.so.6.0.3

Assuming libhdf5-openmpi-1.8.4 is a replacement for
libhdf5-serial-1.8.4, you can go ahead and use gmsh with octave.
Otherwise, it will be a problem.

Best Regards,
Rigved Rakshit