Old 05-16-2012, 02:42 AM
John Schroer

Default Ubuntu 11.10 refuses to display correctly after software update

I have a Pentium 4 system with 1 gb RAM,, EVGA GEFroce FX-5200 video, 400 gb SATA Drive, Samsung 21.6" Syncmaster flat screen.
It has been running 11.10 Ubuntui with no problem, until I did a software update.* Now all I get is a white screen with strange ascii characters on it.** I have tried goiong to previous versions of Ubuntu on the GRUB, but to no avail.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
John

Old 05-16-2012, 05:13 AM
Art Edwards

I have a Pentium 4 system with 1 gb RAM,, EVGA GEFroce
FX-5200 video, 400 gb SATA Drive, Samsung 21.6" Syncmaster flat
screen.

It has been running 11.10 Ubuntui with no problem, until I did a
software update.* Now all I get is a white screen with strange
ascii characters on it.** I have tried goiong to previous versions
of Ubuntu on the GRUB, but to no avail.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

John

The system may have loaded the open-source nvidia driver with 3d
acceleration, which I found extremely buggy. Check your xorg.conf
file in /etc/X11 to see what driver is being loaded. The problem
driver is nouveau.

Art Edwards

Old 05-16-2012, 05:25 AM
Ric Moore