Old 01-01-1970, 01:00 AM
Linda

Default Installing ”templates”

When I read the questions on using Create documents when you right click I started playing with it on my system. No matter what I did it didn't work. Than I found a solution on line. I had to edit

~/.config/user-dirs.dirs

Once I fixed the line

XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/"
with
XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/Templates"

The create document feature worked great.
Maybe this will solve your problem. It is a rather nice feature, once I figured out how to make it work.
Linda

Old 05-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2012/5/14 Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Johnny Rosenberg
> <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Okay, I guess I asked the wrong question, so I will try to rephrase it:
>> The ”Create document” option in the right click menu, mentioned in my
>> first post in this thread, is usually empty except for ”Empty file”.
>> How do I populate it with other kinds of documents?
>> I know lots of ways to create new documents, my question was only
>> about the right click menu.
>
> The answer is probably here:
>
> http://linux.about.com/library/gnome/blgnome6n6h.htm

Doesn't seem to work, but I can see two things that might need to be done:
Restart the computer (or maybe just log out and then log in again), perhaps?
Maybe the folder ”~/Templates” should be translated to Swedish in my
case, just like "~/Desktop” is called ”~/Skrivbord” and so on?
I'll fiddle some more with it after I restarted, that is after work tomorrow.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 05-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Christian Benz

Am 14.05.2012 21:39, schrieb Johnny Rosenberg:
> 2012/5/14 Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Johnny Rosenberg
>> <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Okay, I guess I asked the wrong question, so I will try to rephrase it:
>>> The ”Create document” option in the right click menu, mentioned in my
>>> first post in this thread, is usually empty except for ”Empty file”.
>>> How do I populate it with other kinds of documents?
>>> I know lots of ways to create new documents, my question was only
>>> about the right click menu.
>>
>> The answer is probably here:
>>
>> http://linux.about.com/library/gnome/blgnome6n6h.htm
>
> Doesn't seem to work, but I can see two things that might need to be done:
> Restart the computer (or maybe just log out and then log in again), perhaps?
> Maybe the folder ”~/Templates” should be translated to Swedish in my
> case, just like "~/Desktop” is called ”~/Skrivbord” and so on?
> I'll fiddle some more with it after I restarted, that is after work tomorrow.
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg
> ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Hi Johnny,

in my german ubuntu 12.04 there was a folder called "Vorlagen"
(Templates) by default. Maybe there is already a folder which is empty?
I created a file called writer.odt there and was able to create a new
file using the right-click-menu.

Regards

Christian

Old 05-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2012/5/14 Christian Benz <christian@c-benz.de>:
> Am 14.05.2012 21:39, schrieb Johnny Rosenberg:
>> 2012/5/14 Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com>:

>>> The answer is probably here:
>>>
>>> http://linux.about.com/library/gnome/blgnome6n6h.htm
>>
>> Doesn't seem to work, but I can see two things that might need to be done:
>> Restart the computer (or maybe just log out and then log in again), perhaps?
>> Maybe the folder ”~/Templates” should be translated to Swedish in my
>> case, just like "~/Desktop” is called ”~/Skrivbord” and so on?
>> I'll fiddle some more with it after I restarted, that is after work tomorrow.
>>

>> Kind regards
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>> ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ
>>

> Hi Johnny,
>
> in my german ubuntu 12.04 there was a folder called "Vorlagen"
> (Templates) by default. Maybe there is already a folder which is empty?
> I created a file called writer.odt there and was able to create a new
> file using the right-click-menu.
>
> Regards
>
> Christian

Yes, there is actually a Templates folder in Swedish (”Mallar”), I
just didn't see it before. But after moving my files there, there were
still no difference. Only ”Tom fil” (”Empty file”) is available.

Regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 05-14-2012, 08:03 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Christian Benz <christian@c-benz.de> wrote:
> Am 14.05.2012 21:39, schrieb Johnny Rosenberg:
>>
>> Doesn't seem to work, but I can see two things that might need to be done:
>> Restart the computer (or maybe just log out and then log in again), perhaps?
>> Maybe the folder ”~/Templates” should be translated to Swedish in my
>> case, just like "~/Desktop” is called ”~/Skrivbord” and so on?
>> I'll fiddle some more with it after I restarted, that is after work tomorrow.

You know better:

http://en.bab.la/dictionary/english-swedish/template

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
Open Source Implementation

Old 05-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2012/5/14 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:
> 2012/5/14 Christian Benz <christian@c-benz.de>:

>>> Doesn't seem to work, but I can see two things that might need to be done:
>>> Restart the computer (or maybe just log out and then log in again), perhaps?
>>> Maybe the folder ”~/Templates” should be translated to Swedish in my
>>> case, just like "~/Desktop” is called ”~/Skrivbord” and so on?
>>> I'll fiddle some more with it after I restarted, that is after work tomorrow.
>>>

>>> Kind regards
>>>
>>> Johnny Rosenberg
>>> ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ
>>>

>> Hi Johnny,
>>
>> in my german ubuntu 12.04 there was a folder called "Vorlagen"
>> (Templates) by default. Maybe there is already a folder which is empty?
>> I created a file called writer.odt there and was able to create a new
>> file using the right-click-menu.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Christian
>>

> Yes, there is actually a Templates folder in Swedish (”Mallar”), I
> just didn't see it before. But after moving my files there, there were
> still no difference. Only ”Tom fil” (”Empty file”) is available.

One day later, computer restarted at least twice since last time,
still nothing else in the ”Create document” list than ”Empty file”.

Files in my folder ~/Mallar (the Swedish templates folder which was
created by the system, not by me) are:
Bash-skript.sh (a text file with the bash header included from start)
Kalkylark.ods (an empty ODF spreadsheet)
Textdokument.odt (an empty ODF text document)

And I think I didn't mention my operating system: Ubuntu 10.10 (I know
it's no longer supported, and I will upgrade eventually, but it seems
like I never have time for that…)

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 05-15-2012, 07:03 PM
NoOp

On 05/14/2012 12:08 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Johnny Rosenberg
> <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Okay, I guess I asked the wrong question, so I will try to rephrase it:
>> The ”Create document” option in the right click menu, mentioned in my
>> first post in this thread, is usually empty except for ”Empty file”.
>> How do I populate it with other kinds of documents?
>> I know lots of ways to create new documents, my question was only
>> about the right click menu.
>
> The answer is probably here:
>
> http://linux.about.com/library/gnome/blgnome6n6h.htm
>
> L.

And here:
<https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+question/184379>
[Right click on desktop and choosing new document doesn't show any
templates by defaults]

Old 05-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2012/5/15 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:
> On 05/14/2012 12:08 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Johnny Rosenberg
>> <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Okay, I guess I asked the wrong question, so I will try to rephrase it:
>>> The ”Create document” option in the right click menu, mentioned in my
>>> first post in this thread, is usually empty except for ”Empty file”.
>>> How do I populate it with other kinds of documents?
>>> I know lots of ways to create new documents, my question was only
>>> about the right click menu.
>>
>> The answer is probably here:
>>
>> http://linux.about.com/library/gnome/blgnome6n6h.htm
>>
>> L.
>
> And here:
> <https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+question/184379>
> [Right click on desktop and choosing new document doesn't show any
> templates by defaults]

Thanks, I found the problem in ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs. After
changing the line ”XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/"” to
”XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/Mallar/"”, it works perfectly.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 05-19-2012, 07:20 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

2012/5/18 Linda <haniganwork@earthlink.net>:
> When I read the questions on using Create documents when you right click I started playing with it on my system. No matter what I did it didn't work. Than I found a solution on line. I had to edit
>
> ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs
>
> Once I fixed the line
>
> XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/"
> with
> XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/Templates"
>
> The create document feature worked great.
> Maybe this will solve your problem. It is a rather nice feature, once I figured out how to make it work.
> * * * Linda

Well, my problem is already solved, so I guess somehow you missed that
post of mine. Maybe it went straight into your spam box or something?
Here it is again:
”Thanks, I found the problem in ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs. After
changing the line ”XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/"” to
”XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/Mallar/"”, it works perfectly.”

So it's the same solution as the one you describe, just that I use the
Swedish word ”Mallar” which means ”Templates”.
Thanks anyway.

Just as an addition to the post above, I also changed other things,
like ”XDF_DOCUMENTS_DIR” from ”$HOME/” to ”$HOME/Dokument”, and after
that LibreOffice won't run my macros! I found the reason for that: My
macros are only run if they are in a folder that's in the approved
folders list, and all paths there were changed from, for example,
”~/This/Path” to ”~/DokumentThis/Path”. I would consider that a bug,
but maybe others would disagree… Anyway, after editing all those paths
everything was fine again.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ