Old 05-14-2012, 06:45 AM
Ric Moore

Default mouse behavior

Well, I thought for awhile that fixed it by moving my USB headset to a
USB 2.0 slot, but it didn't. Instead it taunted me by working for a bit,
THEN FAILING. Stinkin' USB mouse will freeze up after being idle. I've
tried different kernels, unloaded the nvidia driver, reloaded the nvidia
driver, everything I can think of. I'm gonna re-run the DVD install disk
and run Ubuntu 12.04 from there to see what it does. I shall report
back. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 05-14-2012, 07:13 AM
Basil Chupin

Well, I thought for awhile that fixed it by moving my USB headset to a
USB 2.0 slot, but it didn't. Instead it taunted me by working for a
bit, THEN FAILING. Stinkin' USB mouse will freeze up after being idle.
I've tried different kernels, unloaded the nvidia driver, reloaded the
nvidia driver, everything I can think of. I'm gonna re-run the DVD
install disk and run Ubuntu 12.04 from there to see what it does. I
shall report back. Ric

I am not telling you how to such eggs, but you do know that if there are
2 USB devices on the same channel then only one will work if the other
is working and using the channel?

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.1 x86_64 KDE on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor

Old 05-14-2012, 07:30 AM
Ric Moore

Well, I thought for awhile that fixed it by moving my USB headset to a
USB 2.0 slot, but it didn't. Instead it taunted me by working for a
bit, THEN FAILING. Stinkin' USB mouse will freeze up after being idle.
I've tried different kernels, unloaded the nvidia driver, reloaded the
nvidia driver, everything I can think of. I'm gonna re-run the DVD
install disk and run Ubuntu 12.04 from there to see what it does. I
shall report back. Ric

I am not telling you how to such eggs, but you do know that if there are
2 USB devices on the same channel then only one will work if the other
is working and using the channel?

Well, just got back from running the install CD in run mode. No
problems. I went and walked the dog, came back after 15 minutes and the
mouse kept right on mousing. Nary a burp in the barrel. That's why I
don't trust a damn upgrade, there's always some old obscure config file
~ somewhere ~ that did not get notified that changes have occurred.
Looks like it'll be full clean install time, again. I did have high
hopes though. That'll teach me to take my own advice. <swears> Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 05-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Basil Chupin

[...]

From what I have read in the past, and I must add that I may have
misinterpreted what you did write, you seem to install Kubuntu and then
go about deleting the desktop environment to then install the xfce
desktop environment. Why go thru all of this?

Have you considered installing another operating system which simply
works "out of the box" and where, during its installation, in the single
verson of the operating system you have the choice - without having to
go thru hoops to get to the DE you want - to install any one of the
following (or install all of them at a later stage):

GNOME
KDE
XFCE
ENLIGHTMENT
WINDOWMAKER
FVWM
ICEWM

and possibly others (I say this as I don't know all the DEs, just my
chosen one which is KDE)?

Multimedia needs are met with the least amount of effort. For example, I
watch TV, DVDs, play CDs, burn DVDs/CDs effortlessly.

Just suggesting only. Not trying to convert you (or anyone else) nor
attempting to start a "distro war" - far from it as you would know.
Simply trying to be helpful so that you don't keep ending up with things
which seem to not "quite work" for you :-) .

BC

Old 05-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Liam Proven

On 14 May 2012 08:13, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> I am not telling you how to such eggs, but you do know that if there are 2
> USB devices on the same channel then only one will work if the other is
> working and using the channel?

Eh? That is not correct. I have had up to half a dozen or more USB
devices working on a single "channel" before now, using hub(s).

One broken or malfunctioning device can take out an entire channel,
though, sure. But if they all work, you are allowed up to 128 devices
per port or something like that.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 05-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Liam Proven

On 14 May 2012 11:01, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> From what I have read in the past, and I must add that I may have
> misinterpreted what you did write, you seem to install Kubuntu and then go
> about deleting the desktop environment to then install the xfce desktop
> environment. Why go thru all of this?
>
> Have you considered installing another operating system which simply works
> "out of the box" and where, during its installation, in the single verson of
> the operating system you have the choice - without having to go thru hoops
> to get to the DE you want - to install any one of the following (or install
> all of them at a later stage):
>
> GNOME
> KDE
> XFCE
> ENLIGHTMENT
> WINDOWMAKER
> FVWM
> ICEWM
>
> and possibly others (I say this as I don't know all the DEs, just my chosen
> one which is KDE)?
>
> Multimedia needs are met with the least amount of effort. For example, I
> watch TV, DVDs, play CDs, burn DVDs/CDs effortlessly.
>
> Just suggesting only. Not trying to convert you (or anyone else) nor
> attempting to start a "distro war" - far from it as you would know. Simply
> trying to be helpful so that you don't keep ending up with things which seem
> to not "quite work" for you :-) .

Strongly agreed!

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 05-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Ric Moore

[...]

From what I have read in the past, and I must add that I may have
misinterpreted what you did write, you seem to install Kubuntu and then
go about deleting the desktop environment to then install the xfce
desktop environment. Why go thru all of this?

What? I LOATHE KDE. I install plain-jane Ubuntu and add XFCE desktop to
that. The mouse refused to work for long in either. It failed in Gnome
after the first update, which I am doing now. We'll soon know what is
what. It failed before I added XFCE, so that is not at fault. If it
fails again, at least I'll know what to do. I'll re-install again and
not update until the next respin comes out or until all of those
error/bug reports concerning 12.04 and USB is fixed. Damn... there's a
LOT of reports over USB failures, especially after an dist-upgrade. Just
google.

I just re-installed clean, and all is well. But gnome screwed up my
network connect, which should have been dead easy out of the box as it's
wired to a DHCP aware modem and worked fine during the install. I
re-configured it to a static ip and static nameservers, and now it
works. My resolv.conf, which network-mangler is supposed to administer,
pointed to 127.0.0.1 localhost. <giggles inanely> A newbie would have
been in tears, swearing to curse Linux for the rest of their lives. I
knew where to dig, so I'm just merely swearing. Someone just needs to
shoot Network Manager and put it out of it's misery, as well as mine.
WICD works flawlessly every time. THAT should be the standard.

I haven't installed XFCE yet as it insists on wasting my bandwidth and
harddrive space by installing Abi-word-office-etc. If I wanted GeoWorks
for a 486, I'd go get it. So, WTF?

I guess I mourn losing more and more control over my install when others
get to shove stuff onto my computer with massive depends that I don't
want and just may happen to ~despise~. Anyone listening at Ubuntu???
Anyone there at all??? <swears like a drunken sailor> Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 05-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Ric Moore

Just suggesting only. Not trying to convert you (or anyone else) nor
attempting to start a "distro war" - far from it as you would know. Simply
trying to be helpful so that you don't keep ending up with things which seem
to not "quite work" for you :-) .

Strongly agreed!

You both must be trolling me, as I've mentioned pretty strongly about my
feelings for KDE are. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 05-15-2012, 01:40 AM
Liam Proven

On 14 May 2012 22:40, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/14/2012 08:51 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> On 14 May 2012 11:01, Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au> *wrote:
>

>>> Just suggesting only. Not trying to convert you (or anyone else) nor
>>> attempting to start a "distro war" - far from it as you would know.
>>> Simply
>>> trying to be helpful so that you don't keep ending up with things which
>>> seem
>>> to not "quite work" for you :-) .
>>

>> Strongly agreed!
>

> You both must be trolling me, as I've mentioned pretty strongly about my
> feelings for KDE are. Ric

No, you're misunderstanding. We're not saying install any particular
desktop, least of all KDE, which I really dislike myself.

What we're saying is, don't install Ubuntu and add XFCE, we're saying,
install Xubuntu if you want XFCE, then add the bits you need to it.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 05-15-2012, 02:53 AM
Ric Moore

Just suggesting only. Not trying to convert you (or anyone else) nor
attempting to start a "distro war" - far from it as you would know.
Simply
trying to be helpful so that you don't keep ending up with things which
seem
to not "quite work" for you :-) .

Strongly agreed!

You both must be trolling me, as I've mentioned pretty strongly about my
feelings for KDE are. Ric

No, you're misunderstanding. We're not saying install any particular
desktop, least of all KDE, which I really dislike myself.

What we're saying is, don't install Ubuntu and add XFCE, we're saying,
install Xubuntu if you want XFCE, then add the bits you need to it.

And, I used to do that. Now I don't. For me, it has worked out better.
If something major breaks, it'll break while I'm still using Gnome,
which it did. When I am satisfied that all is well, which avoids anyone
dodging the bullet that "Oh, you installed Xubuntu, not our fault"
syndrome. It's far less confusing. XFCE was not part of my initial
install, nor installed when stuff started to break after a clean
install. That narrows down the "usual suspects" list. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html