Old 05-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Sivan Green

Default upgrade to 12.04 broke most of things.

Hi All,

I have upgraded to 12.04 and window icons, window placements (alt-tab
works, but not all open windows can be found using it) etc, in essence
the system is far from usable that way.

How to put it back to normal without re-installation from scratch?

Thanks!

Old 05-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Colin Law

On 13 May 2012 11:32, Sivan Green <sivang@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> *I have upgraded to 12.04 and window icons, window placements (alt-tab
> works, but not all open windows can be found using it) etc, in essence
> the system is far from usable that way.
>
> *How to put it back to normal without re-installation from scratch?

I think you need to give a specific example of what is not working,
your description is much too vague for anyone to help fix the problem.
Don't give lots of examples, just one repeatable example of the
problem with a clear description of what is or is not happening.

Colin

Old 05-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Sivan Green

Hi Colin,

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 6:44 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I think you need to give a specific example of what is not working,
> your description is much too vague for anyone to help fix the problem.
> *Don't give lots of examples, just one repeatable example of the
> problem with a clear description of what is or is not happening.

As I said, one specific example is that icon files seems to be missing
(my hunch some packaging issue or missing deps of the dist-upgrade?) ,
another one is that my other input language is not available for input
anymore , and the GNOME short cuts for windows (maximize , minimize -
ALT-F5 , ALT-F10 etc) do not work anymore. Switching tasks (ALT-TAB)
also does not work anymore. I tried following some help tutorials and
guides for that, to no avail.

Installed packages report - http://paste.ubuntu.com/990614/

I'm on 12.04 according to /etc/lsb-release; uname -a: Linux truck
3.2.0-24-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 25 08:43:22 UTC 2012 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Let me know of any other detail you might require.

Thank you!

-Sivan

Old 05-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Liam Proven

On 16 May 2012 14:14, Sivan Green <sivang@gmail.com> wrote:
> As I said, one specific example is that icon files seems to be missing
> (my hunch some packaging issue or missing deps of the dist-upgrade?) ,

What "icon files"? Missing from where? What are you expecting to see
or find and what are you actually seeing or finding?

> another one is that my other input language is not available for input
> anymore ,

I don't know about this one, I'm afraid.

> and the GNOME short cuts for windows (maximize , minimize -
> ALT-F5 , ALT-F10 etc) do not work anymore.

I am not sure what shortcuts these are. I use the standard
cross-platform ones such as Alt-Space, X and so on, and F11 for
fullscreen, and these work just fine.

> Switching tasks (ALT-TAB)
> also does not work anymore.

Does for me!

Are you sure that your install completed successfully?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 05-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Sivan Green

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 6:27 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> What "icon files"? Missing from where? What are you expecting to see
> or find and what are you actually seeing or finding?

Icons files of the user interface (sorry for being vauge), I completed
the install now (apparently update through update-manager in GUI form
left the system in a state where I had to apt-get -f install /
dist-upgrade to fix it).

>> and the GNOME short cuts for windows (maximize , minimize -
>> ALT-F5 , ALT-F10 etc) do not work anymore.
>
> I am not sure what shortcuts these are. I use the standard
> cross-platform ones such as Alt-Space, X and so on, and F11 for
> fullscreen, and these work just fine.

when I try those standard ones, it doesn't work - I can see from the
terminal that this shortcuts are not bound anymore. Perhaps I need to
purge and re install keyboard binding configuration file for GNOME ,
e.g. through gnome-settings or so?

>> Switching tasks (ALT-TAB)
>> also does not work anymore.
>
> Does for me!
>
> Are you sure that your install completed successfully?

Indeed it did not, but now even after sudo apt-get -f install it is
still the same.

Any help will be appreciated.

-Sivan