Old 05-11-2012, 03:11 PM
rikona

Default shotwell install question

>> 2. If it's in backports, maybe enabling backports or adding some
>> unofficial PPA, like
>> https://launchpad.net/~flexiondotorg/+archive/shotwell [1] .

> This one looks quite good - it is version 11, which is almost the
> latest one. They also explain why 0.7 is the latest 'official' for
> Lucid. They also hint at the risks of using the later builds, re
> video problems. :-)

The instructions say to run dist-upgrade. I DON'T want to upgrade from
Lucid [at this time]! Can I safely run dist-upgrade and change ONLY
shotwell to the new version? Will other pgms also be changed to later
versions as well? I'm not clear on what will be 'upgraded', now that a
new LTS 'dist' is becoming available for 'upgrades'.

Thanks-

rikona

Old 05-11-2012, 03:12 PM
"compdoc"

> The instructions say to run dist-upgrade. I DON'T want to upgrade from
Lucid [at this time]!

I run dist-upgrade whenever there's a new kernel to be installed. It does
not upgrade Ubuntu to the newest version.

You have to run 'do-release-upgrade' for that.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:45 PM
rikona

Hello compdoc,

Friday, May 11, 2012, 8:12:39 AM, compdoc wrote:

>> The instructions say to run dist-upgrade. I DON'T want to upgrade from
> Lucid [at this time]!

> I run dist-upgrade whenever there's a new kernel to be installed. It
> does not upgrade Ubuntu to the newest version.

> You have to run 'do-release-upgrade' for that.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't see that in man apt-get, but I
now see it is a separate pgm.

My question about what else might be installed was, I think, answered.
Update manager popped up today and was offering to install dozens of
'new install' stuff as well as many others. Not sure what a lot of
this stuff does, but I assume it is safe since it is, presumably,
specific to Lucid. And - the new ppas are also there so I could just
install shotwell + dependencies if I wanted to.

Thanks much for the info,

rikona