Old 05-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Gilles Gravier

Default Open Ports after Upgrading to 12.04

Hi!

On 10/05/2012 18:25, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have successfully upgraded from 11.10 to 12.04.
>
> The only thing that stoped working was my ability to start different
> services I had working before:
>
> My Calibre Media Share Server is set up on a non-standard port. After
> upgrading it claims it'd unable to start. I only use it in the LAN,
> haven't configured the router for access.
>
> Also, I have configured port forwarding for SSH (also, on a non
> standard port) - the router is configured the same as before and my
> target PC has the same IP as before - but still :no route to host"...
>
> Where do I configure the ports?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Amichai.

I experienced no similar behavior. I have a Logitech media server
(squeezebox) that opens and listens on port 9000 (internal network only
also)... and after update, it continued to work as similar.

So the question to ask is... how was your machine configured before the
update? Did you have any kind of port filtering software in place? Like
IP filters? During update, if there are configuration files that change,
the updater asks whether you want to keep, or replace (or compare first)
the original configuration file (yours) with the new (12.04) one.
Depending on how you did the update, maybe the files were replaced
automatically, or you were asked and didn't realize what happened. Have
a look in /etc for files that end in "dpkg-old"... you might find one
that could explain.

Shalom and good luck,
Gilles.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Amichai Rotman

I've configured it so long ago, that I can't remember how I did it.Could it be I've edited the relevant ports in the /etc/services file?
Amichai.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

On 10/05/2012 19:46, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> I've configured it so long ago, that I can't remember how I did it.
> Could it be I've edited the relevant ports in the /etc/services file?

In /etc/services, you basically tell your Linux system which service is
to be activated when a packet comes in specific ports. Do you have a
services.dpkg-old file in /etc? That would be a good sign.

Though most servers would not really use a service to work. They'd just
be a process listening on a socket.

That said, maybe you have something else listening on that same socket
already (that would certainly block a second application from listening
on it as well).

Running "sudo netstat -l -p" will tell you which sockets are opened by
apps listening on them, and which app is actually listening on it. That
may help if you see some unexpected app listening on the socket that you
initially planned to open for listening by your sshd and media server.

By the way, depending on how your app is written, the wrong name might
be displayed. My logitech server is written in perl... so the process I
see opening port 9000 is "perl"... since that's the actual binary running...

Gilles

Old 05-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Amichai Rotman

Fixed.
And as always, because a stupid weird mistake:
I was trying to access my Calibre Library from a saved bookmark on my WiFi Samsung GalaxyTab (the Calibre Server was configured with a non-standard port). It kept complaining the site is unreachable...

I*suddenly noticed I was in fact connected to my neighbor's WiFi....
Thanks!
Amichai.