Old 05-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Phil Dobbin

Default Ubuntu Classic in Ubuntu12.04

Old 05-10-2012, 10:58 PM
NoOp

On 05/10/2012 06:55 AM, n dhert wrote:
> I replaced my Ubuntu 11.04 by 12.04 (complete reinstall)
>
> In 11.04 I could switch back tot the Ubuntu Classic desktop
>
> How does one do that in Ubuntu 12.04 ?

$ sudo apt-get install gnome

Old 05-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Lance

sudo apt-get install gnome-panel*
is what you want *

http://danshipper.com/non-technical-people-cant-estimate-developmen

Old 05-11-2012, 01:07 AM
NoOp

On 05/10/2012 04:56 PM, Lance wrote:
> sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
>
> is what you want

No, 'sudo apt-get install gnome' works just fine for me.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/gnome
http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/gnome-panel

On top of that I also install the GNOME3 ppa to pick up added/missed
packages:
https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+archive/gnome3

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3

And then of course, you'll need to spend the next two-three days
reinstalling & retuning packages that the Ubuntu gods decided to rip
out when upgrading from 10.10 to 12.04. You know... small things like
grsync, synaptic, cups-pdf, nmap, etherape, acroread, wine, vmware,
virtualbox, opengis, dia, sun-java jre, adobe flash, *all* of your
printers, etc, etc. And that's just so you can get back to work &
experiment with Unity like a game during off time if you wish. :=)

Old 05-11-2012, 01:50 AM
Phil Dobbin

Old 05-11-2012, 02:29 AM
NoOp

On 05/10/2012 06:50 PM, Phil Dobbin wrote:
> On 11/05/12 02:07, NoOp wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> And then of course, you'll need to spend the next two-three days
>> reinstalling & retuning packages that the Ubuntu gods decided to
>> rip out when upgrading from 10.10 to 12.04. You know... small
>> things like grsync, synaptic, cups-pdf, nmap, etherape, acroread,
>> wine, vmware, virtualbox, opengis, dia, sun-java jre, adobe
>> flash, *all* of your printers, etc, etc. And that's just so you
>> can get back to work & experiment with Unity like a game during
>> off time if you wish. :=)
>
> Is this a general thing about 12.04 (i.e. that it deletes all user
> packages when upgrading)?
>
> I just upgraded from 11.04 -> 11.10 & all went OK. None of my user
> installed packages were removed. Or is just coming about from
> upgrading from 10.10?

I suspect that whatever you had that Ubuntu didn't like was either
removed in 11.04 to 11.10, or you didn't have it installed to begin
with. Did you have any of the above listed installed?

Old 05-12-2012, 07:20 AM
user1

On Thu, 10 May 2012 15:03:07 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> Personally I suggest sticking with Unity for a few weeks to get used to
> it. Many find it very good after the initial learning curve.

To get full use of Unity use Keyboard Shortcuts - spend a little time to
learn it e.g.:

http://linuxlibrary.org/desktop/unity-desktop-keyboard-shortcuts/

Old 05-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Jared Norris

On 12 May 2012 17:20, user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2012 15:03:07 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>

>> Personally I suggest sticking with Unity for a few weeks to get used to
>> it. *Many find it very good after the initial learning curve.
>>

> To get full use of Unity use Keyboard Shortcuts - spend a little time to
> learn it e.g.:
>
> http://linuxlibrary.org/desktop/unity-desktop-keyboard-shortcuts/

Took me about 5 minutes to get used to it.

* The Linux key (on some keyboards it may appear as a windows logo)
opens the dash and I can find programs and files by typing what I want
and then hit enter when it appears.
* The alt key opens the HUD and again I can start typing to find what
command I want to run within the program
* Pressing down the Linux key shows me anything else I need at any one
time that I haven't committed to memory yet.

Simple enough for even the most basic Linux users (like me!).

Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris

Old 05-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Russell Cook

Agreed, this is the first version of Ubuntu I've like for a couple of
years. Why? Because unity shows promise in a way Gnome 3 doesn't and
Gnome2 wasn't going to evolve into.

--
Kind Regards Russell
Most dogs are nicer and better friends than most people.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:48 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Sat, 12 May 2012 07:20:07 +0000 (UTC)
user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 May 2012 15:03:07 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>

> > Personally I suggest sticking with Unity for a few weeks to get
> > used to it. Many find it very good after the initial learning
> > curve.
> >

> To get full use of Unity use Keyboard Shortcuts - spend a little time
> to learn it e.g.:
>
> http://linuxlibrary.org/desktop/unity-desktop-keyboard-shortcuts/

That site says:

"This site has been suspended
If you manage this site and have a question about why the site is not
available, please contact iPage directly."

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes