Old 05-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Joe Bissett

Default Corrupt 12.04 automatic update

I am a complete Ubuntu newbie. My wife uses the old networked machine
for e-mail and internet.

A week or so ago an automatic update from 11.10 to 12.04 was offered,
and I accepted. Something in the process got corrupted, and although
the system now loads, shortly after the desktop appears, an error
message pops up "System program problem detected". The option to
"Report problem" is greyed out. Clicking "Cancel", or the (X) only
starts a loop of messages, eventually ending in a reboot. I can see via
the menu that updates are available, and I can bring up the menu, but I
can not successfully install the updates.

This morning while stumbling around, I finally received a meaningful
error message:

"The application Unity 2D Panel has closed unexpectedly"
"/usr/bin/unity-2d-panel"

I know that I can use terminal to enter commands, etc., as I have done
that in the past, following explicit instructions.

Also, I have downloaded the 701MB iso file for x86 and could probably do
a new install; however, there should be a way to fix the problem with
the existing installation.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Joe Bissett

Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Colin Law

On 9 May 2012 13:09, Joe Bissett <jbissett@hot-peppers.com> wrote:
> I am a complete Ubuntu newbie. *My wife uses the old networked machine for
> e-mail and internet.
>
> A week or so ago an automatic update from 11.10 to 12.04 was offered, and I
> accepted. *Something in the process got corrupted, and although the system
> now loads, shortly after the desktop appears, an error message pops up
> "System program problem detected". *The option to "Report problem" is greyed
> out. *Clicking "Cancel", or the (X) only starts a loop of messages,
> eventually ending in a reboot. *I can see via the menu that updates are
> available, and I can bring up the menu, but I can not successfully install
> the updates.
>
> This morning while stumbling around, I finally received a meaningful error
> message:
>
> "The application Unity 2D Panel has closed unexpectedly"
> "/usr/bin/unity-2d-panel"
>
> I know that I can use terminal to enter commands, etc., as I have done that
> in the past, following explicit instructions.

If you are able to open a terminal then do
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
which will bring everything up to date, which may or may not help.

If you are not able to open a terminal then hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 which
should take you to a text interface where you can enter your username
and password to login and then run the update command above. To get
back to normal from Ctrl+Alt+F1 do Ctrl+Alt+F7. Alternatively to
reboot after the updates do
sudo reboot

If you get errors during the update then post them here.

Colin

Old 05-09-2012, 03:16 PM
"compdoc"

>"The application Unity 2D Panel has closed unexpectedly"

Unfortunately, these little crashes are normal, at the moment. They will fix
them eventually, so hang in there...

Old 05-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Mika Suomalainen

Old 05-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Colin Law

On 9 May 2012 16:16, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
>>"The application Unity 2D Panel has closed unexpectedly"
>
> Unfortunately, these little crashes are normal, at the moment. They will fix
> them eventually, so hang in there...

The impression I got from the OP's message is that his machine is
unusable as it keeps crashing, and he is unable to do updates. This
is certainly not normal.

Colin

Old 05-09-2012, 03:37 PM
"compdoc"

> If they are normal, there is probably bug report about the subject, which
you could link.

Installing 12.04 from scratch on a few AMD systems is causing these same
errors for me, and I see others complaining about them.

However, the systems are still useable so Ive ignored them. Ubuntu has
recently updated several desktop components, so I haven't yet noticed if the
errors are gone.

But they will be.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Joe Bissett