Old 05-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Avi Schwartz

Default Is there a way to associate a program to a Dash filter?

Ubunt 12.04 is my first foray into Unity. I stuck to my previous Ubuntu
version until it was no longer supported and now I am trying to tweak
Unity into something I can live with.

Thanks to Gooogle I figured out how to create a new launcher for a
program and how to add it to the Unity Launcher (I cannot believe how
much manual labor is need here.)
Any way, now that I have the launcher for my program, how do I add it to
one of the existing filters?
For example, I created a launcher for IntelliJIDEA and now I want to add
it to the Dash's Developer filter.

Is there a way to do this?

Avi

Old 05-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Knapp

I would recommend you try Mint or Debian, if you hate Unity. They are
like the old Ubuntu but updated.

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 12:42 AM, Avi Schwartz
<ubuntu-users352@cfftechnologies.com> wrote:
> Ubunt 12.04 is my first foray into Unity. I stuck to my previous Ubuntu
> version until it was no longer supported and now I am trying to tweak Unity
> into something I can live with.
>
> Thanks to Gooogle I figured out how to create a new launcher for a program
> and how to add it to the Unity Launcher (I cannot believe how much manual
> labor is need here.)
> Any way, now that I have the launcher for my program, how do I add it to one
> of the existing filters?
> For example, I created a launcher for IntelliJIDEA and now I want to add it
> to the Dash's Developer filter.
> Is there a way to do this?
>
> Avi

Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!

Massage in Gelsenkirchen-Buer:
http://douglas.bespin.org/tcm/ztab1.htm

Open Source Sci-Fi mmoRPG Game project.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:10 AM
Colin Law

On 7 May 2012 23:42, Avi Schwartz <ubuntu-users352@cfftechnologies.com> wrote:
> Ubunt 12.04 is my first foray into Unity. I stuck to my previous Ubuntu
> version until it was no longer supported and now I am trying to tweak Unity
> into something I can live with.
>
> Thanks to Gooogle I figured out how to create a new launcher for a program
> and how to add it to the Unity Launcher (I cannot believe how much manual
> labor is need here.)
> Any way, now that I have the launcher for my program, how do I add it to one
> of the existing filters?
> For example, I created a launcher for IntelliJIDEA and now I want to add it
> to the Dash's Developer filter.
> Is there a way to do this?

I think this is controlled by the Categories entry in the desktop
file. Try putting Development in there. I have not tried it but
looking at some of the desktop files in /usr/share/applications
suggests this might work.

Colin

Old 05-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Jkhatri

I think this is controlled by the Categories entry in the desktop
file. Try putting Development in there. I have not tried it but
looking at some of the desktop files in /usr/share/applications
suggests this might work.

Colin

<<--snip-->>

I'm doing this

cd to /usr/share/applicaions

copy any .desktop file ( as template )

edit it as per your need .....

or

create a launcher with the following in it ( I've created for*
irfan-view ( windows software) )

less :/usr/share/applications/irfanview.desktop

[Desktop Entry]

Name=IrfanView

Comment=Image viewer and editor

Exec=wine /home/user1/windows-exe/IrfanView/i_view32.exe

Terminal=false

Type=Application

Encoding=UTF-8

Icon=/home/user1/windows-exe/IrfanView/IrfanView_Logo.png

Categories=;

X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=0.18

Name[en_US]=irfanview

NOTE:- you have to reboot the system to be able to get it listed in
dash

hope this helps

Warm Regards

--

*/

Jatin
Khatri

RHCSA RHCE CCNA

www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin

Phone (+91) 98250 20393

Save
Paper, Save Environment.**

(Plant
at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)

Old 05-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Colin Law

On 8 May 2012 09:28, Jkhatri <khatri.jatin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/08/2012 01:40 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>
> On 7 May 2012 23:42, Avi Schwartz <ubuntu-users352@cfftechnologies.com>
> wrote:
>
> I think this is controlled by the Categories entry in the desktop
> file. Try putting Development in there. I have not tried it but
> looking at some of the desktop files in /usr/share/applications
> suggests this might work.
>
> Colin
>
> <<--snip-->>
>
> I'm doing this
>
> cd to /usr/share/applicaions
>
> copy any .desktop file ( as template )
> edit it as per your need .....
>
> or
>
> create a launcher with the following in it ( I've created for* irfan-view (
> windows software) )
>
> less :/usr/share/applications/irfanview.desktop
>
> [Desktop Entry]
> Name=IrfanView
> Comment=Image viewer and editor
> Exec=wine /home/user1/windows-exe/IrfanView/i_view32.exe
> Terminal=false
> Type=Application
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Icon=/home/user1/windows-exe/IrfanView/IrfanView_Logo.png
> Categories=;
> X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=0.18
> Name[en_US]=irfanview

How does that address the OP's question, which was how to get it in
the Developer category of the dash?

Colin

Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Jkhatri

[...]

he/she can define the categories in .desktop file ... as you have
suggested

sorry if my ans. is wrong

--

*/

Old 05-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Avi Schwartz

I would recommend you try Mint or Debian, if you hate Unity. They are
like the old Ubuntu but updated.

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 12:42 AM, Avi Schwartz
Ubunt 12.04 is my first foray into Unity. I stuck to my previous Ubuntu
version until it was no longer supported and now I am trying to tweak Unity
into something I can live with.

Thanks to Gooogle I figured out how to create a new launcher for a program
and how to add it to the Unity Launcher (I cannot believe how much manual
labor is need here.)
Any way, now that I have the launcher for my program, how do I add it to one
of the existing filters?
For example, I created a launcher for IntelliJIDEA and now I want to add it
to the Dash's Developer filter.
Is there a way to do this?

Avi

I don't hate Unity. I am just starting to learn how to tweak it to
my liking, that's all.

Avi

Old 05-08-2012, 11:46 PM
Avi Schwartz

Thanks to Gooogle I figured out how to create a new launcher for a program
and how to add it to the Unity Launcher.
Any way, now that I have the launcher for my program, how do I add it to one
of the existing filters?
For example, I created a launcher for IntelliJIDEA and now I want to add it
to the Dash's Developer filter.
Is there a way to do this?

I think this is controlled by the Categories entry in the desktop
file. Try putting Development in there. I have not tried it but
looking at some of the desktop files in /usr/share/applications
suggests this might work.

Colin

The Categories entry was the correct answer. The only thing to pay
attention to is that the category name does not necessarily match
the filter name. In this example the filter name in Dash is
Developer but in the Categories entry it has to be Development.

Now I wish there was an easy way (i.e. not by writing C code) to add
new filters.

Avi