Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/)
-   -   100% CPU (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/664073-100-cpu.html)

"Kevin O'Gorman" 05-07-2012 09:38 PM

100% CPU
 
On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 06/05/12 06:49, Ric Moore wrote:
>>
>> On 05/05/2012 01:55 PM, wcj9996 wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> I am running 10.04 on an AMD-64 CPU. I have been noticing a slowdown on
>>> occasion for several months. System Monitor shows 100% CPU and more
>>> network activity than I would expect. This occurs when Firefox and
>>> Thunderbird are running. Running 'top' shows 'virtuoso-t' taking 46.9%
>>> of CPU and two instances of 'nepomukservices' taking 18% and 15% of CPU.
>>>
>>> Are these malware of some kind?
>>
>>
>> Nepomuk is sorta, although it is included with a KDE install. It'll eat
>> your cpu until it's done cataloging everything on your machine for hours, to
>> make it easy to hand over all evidence to the FBI.
>>
>> I dumped KDE when I tried to remove nepomuk with synaptic. It popped up
>> and said it would have to remove all traces of KDE and it's desktop. I
>> replied "Hell yeah.." and savagely hit the ENTER key with a sneer ...I
>> haven't used KDE since. I won't have my desktop bound to something I happen
>> to loathe and I'll have nothing to do with a mindset that goes "My Way Or
>> The Highway" with me. T
>>
>> here is no earthly reason to have a desktop search rule my preferred
>> install. It should be an added option for the user and nothing more than
>> that.
>>
>> There are maybe ten people on Earth, and a semi-sentient frozen gas on the
>> surface of Titan, that uses Nepomuk. The gas is considered a criminal by
>> his/her/its kind and is in hiding, his/her/its real whereabouts are unknown.
>> But, he/she/it is all over the Internet, posting as the user "anonymous". :)
>> Ric
>
>
> You can simply disable nepomuk in the System Settings menu - as I have it
> disabled.

Easy for you to say, but I searched and did not find anything I could
surely say was exactly that. It's not even called "System Settings".
Could you spell it out, please?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Basil Chupin 05-08-2012 12:32 AM

100% CPU
 
On 08/05/12 07:38, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

On 06/05/12 06:49, Ric Moore wrote:

[.........]



There are maybe ten people on Earth, and a semi-sentient frozen gas on the
surface of Titan, that uses Nepomuk. The gas is considered a criminal by
his/her/its kind and is in hiding, his/her/its real whereabouts are unknown.
But, he/she/it is all over the Internet, posting as the user "anonymous". :)
Ric


You can simply disable nepomuk in the System Settings menu - as I have it
disabled.

Easy for you to say, but I searched and did not find anything I could
surely say was exactly that. It's not even called "System Settings".
Could you spell it out, please?


Ah....I am using KDE but I bet you are using something other than KDE.

There has to be a place where you are able to control the settings for
your desktop. In gnome there was something called gconftool-2, from
memory. But you should also have a menu where you can add/remove
applications which appear on your desktop for you to be able to execute
them. Perhaps if you mentioned which desktop environment you are using
then someone can come up with the exact place where you can deselect
nepomuk from starting.


BC


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"Kevin O'Gorman" 05-08-2012 02:33 PM

100% CPU
 
On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 08/05/12 07:38, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au>
>> *wrote:
>>>
>>> On 06/05/12 06:49, Ric Moore wrote:
>
> [.........]
>
>
>
>>>> There are maybe ten people on Earth, and a semi-sentient frozen gas on
>>>> the
>>>> surface of Titan, that uses Nepomuk. The gas is considered a criminal by
>>>> his/her/its kind and is in hiding, his/her/its real whereabouts are
>>>> unknown.
>>>> But, he/she/it is all over the Internet, posting as the user
>>>> "anonymous". :)
>>>> Ric
>>>
>>>
>>> You can simply disable nepomuk in the System Settings menu - as I have it
>>> disabled.
>>
>> Easy for you to say, but I searched and did not find anything I could
>> surely say was exactly that. *It's not even called "System Settings".
>> Could you spell it out, please?
>
>
> Ah....I am using KDE but I bet you are using something other than KDE.
>
> There has to be a place where you are able to control the settings for your
> desktop. In gnome there was something called gconftool-2, from memory. But
> you should also have a menu where you can add/remove applications which
> appear on your desktop for you to be able to execute them. Perhaps if you
> mentioned which desktop environment you are using then someone can come up
> with the exact place where you can deselect nepomuk from starting.

I'm actually kinda betwixt and between right now. I've got Ubuntu
Natty with xubuntu-desktop
installed, and generally sign on with xubuntu. There's a single menu
in the top panel. It
has a submenu called "Settings" with about a dozen things including
one that lets me edit
the contents of the menus, and another called "System" with about a
score of things that
I recognize as utilities. I haven't used any of this yet.

Nepomuk is installed, probably dragged in when I installed one of my
KDE games or
utilities. I'm aiming to go plain xubuntu, Real Soon Now (TM).

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Ric Moore 05-08-2012 10:08 PM

100% CPU
 
On 05/08/2012 10:33 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

On 08/05/12 07:38, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:


On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au>
wrote:


On 06/05/12 06:49, Ric Moore wrote:


[.........]




There are maybe ten people on Earth, and a semi-sentient frozen gas on
the
surface of Titan, that uses Nepomuk. The gas is considered a criminal by
his/her/its kind and is in hiding, his/her/its real whereabouts are
unknown.
But, he/she/it is all over the Internet, posting as the user
"anonymous". :)
Ric



You can simply disable nepomuk in the System Settings menu - as I have it
disabled.


Easy for you to say, but I searched and did not find anything I could
surely say was exactly that. It's not even called "System Settings".
Could you spell it out, please?



Ah....I am using KDE but I bet you are using something other than KDE.

There has to be a place where you are able to control the settings for your
desktop. In gnome there was something called gconftool-2, from memory. But
you should also have a menu where you can add/remove applications which
appear on your desktop for you to be able to execute them. Perhaps if you
mentioned which desktop environment you are using then someone can come up
with the exact place where you can deselect nepomuk from starting.


I'm actually kinda betwixt and between right now. I've got Ubuntu
Natty with xubuntu-desktop
installed, and generally sign on with xubuntu. There's a single menu
in the top panel. It
has a submenu called "Settings" with about a dozen things including
one that lets me edit
the contents of the menus, and another called "System" with about a
score of things that
I recognize as utilities. I haven't used any of this yet.

Nepomuk is installed, probably dragged in when I installed one of my
KDE games or
utilities. I'm aiming to go plain xubuntu, Real Soon Now (TM).


That was my gripe, if you install Kgames you'll get nepomuk. I just
avoid anything KDE now. Last night I installed adobe-reader and it
apparently installed every i386 audio/video .deb package there is. I've
attach the log of the history, in case anyone wants to see. All I recall
doing is marking adobe-acroread and when it started all of these
packages started whizzing in. I figured I better not stop it so that I
could clean up after. So, I have to learn even harder what I install and
the consequences of my actions. I just didn't expect to get a drubbing.
:) Ric




--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Basil Chupin 05-09-2012 05:47 AM

100% CPU
 
On 09/05/12 00:33, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

[..........]



I'm actually kinda betwixt and between right now. I've got Ubuntu
Natty with xubuntu-desktop
installed, and generally sign on with xubuntu. There's a single menu
in the top panel. It
has a submenu called "Settings" with about a dozen things including
one that lets me edit
the contents of the menus, and another called "System" with about a
score of things that
I recognize as utilities. I haven't used any of this yet.

Nepomuk is installed, probably dragged in when I installed one of my
KDE games or
utilities. I'm aiming to go plain xubuntu, Real Soon Now (TM).


I just had a rethink about nepomuk and its 100% use of your cpu.

This was a known problem but has been 'fixed'. For example, I am
actually now running nepomuk (in the past I always turned if off) and I
don't even know that it is installed and active - and it has nothing to
do with the fact that I have an 8-core cpu with 16GB of RAM.


I am wondering which version of nepomuk you have installed? nepomuk is
an integrated part of 'kdebase4-runtime' and the version of this package
which I have currently installed is 4.8.3-376.1.


BC


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"Kevin O'Gorman" 05-09-2012 01:29 PM

100% CPU
 
On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 09/05/12 00:33, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>
> [..........]
>
>
>
>> I'm actually kinda betwixt and between right now. *I've got Ubuntu
>> Natty with xubuntu-desktop
>> installed, and generally sign on with xubuntu. *There's a single menu
>> in the top panel. *It
>> has a submenu called "Settings" with about a dozen things including
>> one that lets me edit
>> the contents of the menus, and another called "System" with about a
>> score of things that
>> I recognize as utilities. *I haven't used any of this yet.
>>
>> Nepomuk is installed, probably dragged in when I installed one of my
>> KDE games or
>> utilities. *I'm aiming to go plain xubuntu, Real Soon Now (TM).
>
>
> I just had a rethink about nepomuk and its 100% use of your cpu.
>
> This was a known problem but has been 'fixed'. For example, I am actually
> now running nepomuk (in the past I always turned if off) and I don't even
> know that it is installed and active - and it has nothing to do with the
> fact that I have an 8-core cpu with 16GB of RAM.
>
> I am wondering which version of nepomuk you have installed? nepomuk is an
> integrated part of 'kdebase4-runtime' and the version of this package which
> I have currently installed is 4.8.3-376.1.

Well, I'm on Natty, so I have earlier versions.

libnepomukquery4a, libnepomukutils4, libnepomuk4 show version 4:4.6.5-0ubuntu1
virtuoso-nepomuk shows version 6.1.2+dfsg1-1ubuntu4

And that's all that synaptic shows for searching on 'nepomuk'

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Basil Chupin 05-09-2012 02:19 PM

100% CPU
 
On 09/05/12 23:29, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

On 09/05/12 00:33, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

[..........]




I'm actually kinda betwixt and between right now. I've got Ubuntu
Natty with xubuntu-desktop
installed, and generally sign on with xubuntu. There's a single menu
in the top panel. It
has a submenu called "Settings" with about a dozen things including
one that lets me edit
the contents of the menus, and another called "System" with about a
score of things that
I recognize as utilities. I haven't used any of this yet.

Nepomuk is installed, probably dragged in when I installed one of my
KDE games or
utilities. I'm aiming to go plain xubuntu, Real Soon Now (TM).


I just had a rethink about nepomuk and its 100% use of your cpu.

This was a known problem but has been 'fixed'. For example, I am actually
now running nepomuk (in the past I always turned if off) and I don't even
know that it is installed and active - and it has nothing to do with the
fact that I have an 8-core cpu with 16GB of RAM.

I am wondering which version of nepomuk you have installed? nepomuk is an
integrated part of 'kdebase4-runtime' and the version of this package which
I have currently installed is 4.8.3-376.1.

Well, I'm on Natty, so I have earlier versions.

libnepomukquery4a, libnepomukutils4, libnepomuk4 show version 4:4.6.5-0ubuntu1
virtuoso-nepomuk shows version 6.1.2+dfsg1-1ubuntu4

And that's all that synaptic shows for searching on 'nepomuk'


Mmmm.... the virtuoso drivers and server (probably name changes to what
you mention above) are now at version 6.1.5-59.1.


With you using Natty and with it reaching EOL in 5 months (October)
perchance it is time to move up a notch in versions?


If you look here you will find that you can upgrade to KDE 4.8.2 if you
had 11.10 (Oneiric) installed -


http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4.8.2

Worth thinking about?

But maybe there is ppa by someone which has KDE4.8.2 for Natty? - I
don't know.


BC



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"Kevin O'Gorman" 05-09-2012 09:42 PM

100% CPU
 
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 09/05/12 23:29, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au>
>> *wrote:
>>>
>>> On 09/05/12 00:33, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>>
>>> [..........]
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> I'm actually kinda betwixt and between right now. *I've got Ubuntu
>>>> Natty with xubuntu-desktop
>>>> installed, and generally sign on with xubuntu. *There's a single menu
>>>> in the top panel. *It
>>>> has a submenu called "Settings" with about a dozen things including
>>>> one that lets me edit
>>>> the contents of the menus, and another called "System" with about a
>>>> score of things that
>>>> I recognize as utilities. *I haven't used any of this yet.
>>>>
>>>> Nepomuk is installed, probably dragged in when I installed one of my
>>>> KDE games or
>>>> utilities. *I'm aiming to go plain xubuntu, Real Soon Now (TM).
>>>
>>>
>>> I just had a rethink about nepomuk and its 100% use of your cpu.
>>>
>>> This was a known problem but has been 'fixed'. For example, I am actually
>>> now running nepomuk (in the past I always turned if off) and I don't even
>>> know that it is installed and active - and it has nothing to do with the
>>> fact that I have an 8-core cpu with 16GB of RAM.
>>>
>>> I am wondering which version of nepomuk you have installed? nepomuk is an
>>> integrated part of 'kdebase4-runtime' and the version of this package
>>> which
>>> I have currently installed is 4.8.3-376.1.
>>
>> Well, I'm on Natty, so I have earlier versions.
>>
>> libnepomukquery4a, libnepomukutils4, libnepomuk4 show version
>> 4:4.6.5-0ubuntu1
>> virtuoso-nepomuk shows version 6.1.2+dfsg1-1ubuntu4
>>
>> And that's all that synaptic shows for searching on 'nepomuk'
>
>
> Mmmm.... the virtuoso drivers and server (probably name changes to what you
> mention above) are now at version 6.1.5-59.1.
>
> With you using Natty and with it reaching EOL in 5 months (October)
> perchance it is time to move up a notch in versions?
>
> If you look here you will find that you can upgrade to KDE 4.8.2 if you had
> 11.10 (Oneiric) installed -
>
> http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4.8.2
>
> Worth thinking about?

Not exactly. My plan is to go Xubuntu Precise at 12.04.1, then keep
to LTS. My question was definitely for the interim curiosity. I'll
keep my K-games until then. But thanks, really, I'm an info junkie.

> But maybe there is ppa by someone which has KDE4.8.2 for Natty? - I don't
> know.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:59 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.