Old 05-07-2012, 07:49 AM
James Plate

Default Ubuntu server and power off

On 05/07/2012 03:31 AM, Antonio Fernández Pérez wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have configured a machine to print Wi-Fi tickets with Ubuntu Server
> and OpenBox desktop manager that launch a Java graphical application
> on boot. If the machine will be shutdown by power button, what effects
> could to have? Could it affect to some partition? Could corrupt the
> system and not start? There are some tool to repair the boot and make
> that the system boots normally?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Antonio.
>
> --
>
> *_Antonio Manuel Fernández Pérez_*
>
> *Ingeniero Técnico en Informática
> *Dpto. Programación y Sistemas Fabergames S.L.
> TLF:966261111 / FAX:966551801
> www.fabergames.com <http://www.fabergames.com/>
>

> * * * ADVERTENCIA LEGAL * * *
>
> Le informamos, como destinatario de este mensaje, que el correo
> electrónico y las comunicaciones por medio de Internet no permiten
> asegurar ni garantizar la confidencialidad de los mensajes
> transmitidos, así como tampoco su integridad o su correcta recepción,
> por lo que FABERGAMES S.L. no asume responsabilidad alguna por tales
> circunstancias. Si no consintiese en la utilización del correo
> electrónico o de las comunicaciones vía Internet le rogamos nos lo
> comunique y ponga en nuestro conocimiento de manera inmediata. Este
> mensaje va dirigido, de manera exclusiva, a su destinatario y contiene
> información confidencial y sujeta al secreto profesional, cuya
> divulgación no está permitida por la ley. En caso de haber recibido
> este mensaje por error, le rogamos que, de forma inmediata, nos lo
> comunique mediante correo electrónico remitido a nuestra atención o a
> través del teléfono (+ 34) 966 26 11 11 y proceda a su eliminación,
> así como a la de cualquier documento adjunto al mismo. Asimismo, le
> comunicamos que la distribución, copia o utilización de este mensaje,
> o de cualquier documento adjunto al mismo, cualquiera que fuera su
> finalidad, están prohibidas por la ley.

Yes it most certainly can cause hardware issues, including but not
limited to corrupted sectors on your hard disk.

" fsck is the FileSystem ChecKer, which runs automatically when you boot
if you didn't shutdown cleanly. Type "man fsck" for information on
running it manually. The command "sudo touch /forcefsck && sudo shutdown
-r now" will force a reboot and a filesystem check; "sudo touch
/fastboot" will skip a filesystem check at next reboot "
-ubottu- !fsck From #ubuntu irc.freenode.net

Old 05-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Colin Law

2012/5/7 James Plate <james.plate@gmail.com>:
> On 05/07/2012 03:31 AM, Antonio Fernández Pérez wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I have configured a machine to print Wi-Fi tickets with Ubuntu Server
>> and OpenBox desktop manager that launch a Java graphical application
>> on boot. If the machine will be shutdown by power button, what effects
>> could to have? Could it affect to some partition? Could corrupt the
>> system and not start? There are some tool to repair the boot and make
>> that the system boots normally?

>> [pointless Spanish (I think) legal rubbish deleted - even more pointless than normal since this is an English speaking list]

> Yes it most certainly can cause hardware issues, including but not
> limited to corrupted sectors on your hard disk.

Though in practice it is very rare that it actually causes any
problems with modern file systems. As far as I can remember I have
never lost anything on Linux when this happens except for data in
files on which I was currently working, or once when the system was
trashed by a power failure in the middle of a kernel upgrade. But
that was caused by the fact that I had a half installed kernel, which
was not good.

@James, what problems can it cause apart from corrupting data being
written at the time of failure?

Colin

Old 05-07-2012, 09:52 AM
James Plate

On 05/07/2012 05:07 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> 2012/5/7 James Plate <james.plate@gmail.com>:
>> On 05/07/2012 03:31 AM, Antonio Fernández Pérez wrote:
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> I have configured a machine to print Wi-Fi tickets with Ubuntu Server
>>> and OpenBox desktop manager that launch a Java graphical application
>>> on boot. If the machine will be shutdown by power button, what effects
>>> could to have? Could it affect to some partition? Could corrupt the
>>> system and not start? There are some tool to repair the boot and make
>>> that the system boots normally?
>>> [pointless Spanish (I think) legal rubbish deleted - even more pointless than normal since this is an English speaking list]
>> Yes it most certainly can cause hardware issues, including but not
>> limited to corrupted sectors on your hard disk.
> Though in practice it is very rare that it actually causes any
> problems with modern file systems. As far as I can remember I have
> never lost anything on Linux when this happens except for data in
> files on which I was currently working, or once when the system was
> trashed by a power failure in the middle of a kernel upgrade. But
> that was caused by the fact that I had a half installed kernel, which
> was not good.
>
> @James, what problems can it cause apart from corrupting data being
> written at the time of failure?
>
> Colin

I'm sure it's a rare occurence with new hardware but historically it
could physically damage the disk platter, espescially if the disk is
being accessed when a shutdown was forced/power lost. I could be out of
date with my info. I've just made it a habit for a long time to not make
a habit of hard resets/shutdowns.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Colin Law

On 7 May 2012 10:52, James Plate <james.plate@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/07/2012 05:07 AM, Colin Law wrote:

>>> Yes it most certainly can cause hardware issues, including but not
>>> limited to corrupted sectors on your hard disk.
>> Though in practice it is very rare that it actually causes any
>> problems with modern file systems. *As far as I can remember I have
>> never lost anything on Linux when this happens except for data in
>> files on which I was currently working, or once when the system was
>> trashed by a power failure in the middle of a kernel upgrade. *But
>> that was caused by the fact that I had a half installed kernel, which
>> was not good.
>>
>> @James, what problems can it cause apart from corrupting data being
>> written at the time of failure?
>>
>> Colin
>>
> I'm sure it's a rare occurence with new hardware but historically it
> could physically damage the disk platter, espescially if the disk is
> being accessed when a shutdown was forced/power lost. I could be out of
> date with my info. I've just made it a habit for a long time to not make
> a habit of hard resets/shutdowns.

Certainly one should not make a habit of it, but I don't think modern
disks will be physically damaged by an unexpected power down.

Colin

Old 05-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Paulo Sampaio

Even if a hardware failure due to unexpected power down is rare, he should be protected against it. Recently I've seen problems with Virtualbox, on power failure the disc file can be corrupted and you loose the VM, it happened to me once with Virtualbox 3.1.

Antonio, you can use one no-break with USB or Serial port, when it activates the batteries it can send a signal to your server shutdown properly, if that is not an option be ready to use your backup plan.

Atenciosamente,
__
Paulo Sampaio

http://devio.us/~psampaio/

Old 05-07-2012, 03:00 PM
"compdoc"

Ubuntu is capable of seeing a power button press, and shutting itself off gracefully. But I've always had a heck of a time getting it to work.
*
My MythBuntu box does it perfectly. I need to see how they have it set up, I guess.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Frank

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 09:31 +0200, Antonio Fernández Pérez wrote:

> If the machine will be shutdown by power button, what effects could to
> have?

If by "shutdown by power button" you mean "press and hold the power
button until the PC is turned off" (the equivalent of "brutally pulling
the plug", that's probably not a good idea. According to Murphy's Law,
sooner or later some problems on the hard disk can appear, especially if
the power-off happen while there is data to be written on the disk.

You can install ACPI (sudo apt-get install acpid). Your server will
detect when the power button is pressed and it will shutdown gracefully
and correctly your server.

Check google -> "ubuntu server shutdown on power button".

Old 05-07-2012, 03:40 PM
"Allen"

Support,
I guess I didn?t word it properly because I have been getting email thinking
that my machine is not booting up properly which is not the case. When I
install wubi or any other form of the latest Ubuntu, installing it while in
windows it installs and ask to reboot to finish the install. I ok the reboot
and then a Ubuntu interface like desktop shows for a few minutes then goes
to a black screen with this message:
Gave up waiting for root device, Common Problem:
-Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
-Check root delay = (did the system wait long enough?)
-Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
-Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/E83C03C23C038AB0 does not exist. Dropping to a
shell!

Busy Box v1.18.5 (Ubuntu 1:1.18.5 ? lubuntu4) built-in shell (ash)
Enter ?help? for a list of built-in commands
(initramfs__

ACBess

Old 05-07-2012, 03:42 PM
"Allen"

Support,
I guess I didn’t word it properly because I have been getting email thinking that my machine is not booting up properly which is not the case. When I install wubi or any other form of the latest Ubuntu, installing it while in windows it installs and ask to reboot to finish the install. I ok the reboot and then a Ubuntu interface like desktop shows for a few minutes then goes to a black screen with this message:
Gave up waiting for root device, Common Problem:
-Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
Â* -Check root delay = (did the system wait long enough?)
Â* -Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
-Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/E83C03C23C038AB0 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!
Â*