Old 05-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Dotan Cohen

Default Untrusted packages

While installing cw I got this rather stern warning:

saturn:~$ sudo aptitude install cw
[sudo] password for dotancohen:
cw unixcw{a}
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 64.0 kB of archives. After unpacking 262 kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
WARNING: untrusted versions of the following packages will be installed!

Untrusted packages could compromise your system's security.
You should only proceed with the installation if you are certain that
this is what you want to do.

unixcw cw

Do you want to ignore this warning and proceed anyway?

I do have some non-default repos installed, but I have never seen this
warning. Also, though Aptitude isn't telling me, I would assume that
cw is being installed from canonical repos, it is a common enough
package. Why does this particular package elicit the warning, while
others do not?

This is on Kubuntu 11.10. Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 05-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Mika Suomalainen

06.05.2012 21:32, Dotan Cohen kirjoitti:
> While installing cw I got this rather stern warning:
>
> saturn:~$ sudo aptitude install cw [sudo] password for dotancohen:
> The following NEW packages will be installed: cw unixcw{a} 0
> packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not
> upgraded. Need to get 64.0 kB of archives. After unpacking 262 kB
> will be used. Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] WARNING: untrusted
> versions of the following packages will be installed!
>
> Untrusted packages could compromise your system's security. You
> should only proceed with the installation if you are certain that
> this is what you want to do.
>
> unixcw cw
>
> Do you want to ignore this warning and proceed anyway?
>

> I do have some non-default repos installed, but I have never seen
> this warning. Also, though Aptitude isn't telling me, I would
> assume that cw is being installed from canonical repos, it is a
> common enough package. Why does this particular package elicit the
> warning, while others do not?
>
> This is on Kubuntu 11.10. Thanks.

It seems that you are missing some GPG keys in apt's keyring. Could
you run "sudo aptitude update" and email the errors to this list? They
should contain key IDs of the missing keys.

You can check where aptitude wants to install cw with command
"apt-cache policy cw".

- --
Mika Suomalainen
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 4DB53CFE82A46728
Key fingerprint = 24BC 1573 B8EE D666 D10A AA65 4DB5 3CFE 82A4 6728
http://mkaysi.github.com/

Old 05-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 9:42 PM, Mika Suomalainen > It seems that you
are missing some GPG keys in apt's keyring. Could
> you run "sudo aptitude update" and email the errors to this list? They
> should contain key IDs of the missing keys.

No errors. And after the aptitude update, cw installs without the
stern warning. That is rather interesting, thanks for pushing me to do
another update (I had done one just an hour previous, and had not
noticed any errors at that time).

> You can check where aptitude wants to install cw with command
> "apt-cache policy cw".

Thanks. I was just being lazy not checking, and I can now confirm that
as suspected cw is to be installed from a Canonical repo (I love the
pun there).

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il