Old 05-06-2012, 05:53 PM

Default Xubuntu vs. Ubuntu

I originally installed Ubuntu on my new laptop. After playing around with
a number of different desktop managers, I installed and settled on xfce4.

Having installed that package, do I effectively have an Xubuntu system,
or is there something else that fundamentally separates Xubuntu from stock
Ubuntu? Thanks.

--
Jeffery Small

Old 05-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Sonny Golovine

Xubuntu is simply Ubuntu with the XFCE desktop. Everything else is the same

Sent from my Samsung smartphone on AT&T

Old 05-06-2012, 07:50 PM
PleegWat

Old 05-07-2012, 04:52 AM
Chris Gideon

Jeffery Small <jeff <at> cjsa.com> writes:

> I originally installed Ubuntu on my new laptop. After playing around with
> a number of different desktop managers, I installed and settled on xfce4.
>
> Having installed that package, do I effectively have an Xubuntu system,
> or is there something else that fundamentally separates Xubuntu from stock
> Ubuntu? Thanks.
>
> --
> Jeffery Small

Effectively, yes. I did the same thing as you, started with Ubuntu, installed
xfce (not xubuntu-desktop). Later, I did install Xubuntu-desktop, but since 95%
of what it wanted to download and install was already installed by xfce, all it
did was basically just add some wallpapers and a splash screen. If you plan on
removing gnome (ubuntu/unity) then you should add the Xubuntu-desktop package
just to make bootup look better, but it's not necessary.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:55 AM

PleegWat <pleegwat@telfort.nl> writes:

>You probably already have everything.

>If you want to be certain, you can go to synaptic (I can't find this
>functionality offhand in the software center). In synaptic, under the
>'Edit' menu, select 'Mark Packages by Task...'. In the resulting list
>of checkboxes, select 'Xubuntu desktop', OK, and follow the steps from
>there.

Thanks! I didn't know about the synaptic tool. I downloaded it and will
investigate the packages. I really appreciate your reply.

Jeff

Old 05-07-2012, 07:17 AM

Chris Gideon <assassin262@aim.com> writes:

>Effectively, yes. I did the same thing as you, started with
>Ubuntu, installed xfce (not xubuntu-desktop). Later, I did install
>Xubuntu-desktop, but since 95% of what it wanted to download and
>install was already installed by xfce, all it did was basically just
>add some wallpapers and a splash screen. If you plan on removing gnome
>(ubuntu/unity) then you should add the Xubuntu-desktop package just to
>make bootup look better, but it's not necessary.

Thanks Chris!
--
Jeff

Old 05-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

I originally installed Ubuntu on my new laptop. After playing around with
a number of different desktop managers, I installed and settled on xfce4.

Having installed that package, do I effectively have an Xubuntu system,
or is there something else that fundamentally separates Xubuntu from stock
Ubuntu? Thanks.

--
Jeffery Small

xfce is only the window manager.
xubuntu-desktop adds in all of the Canonical/Ubuntu customizations.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

- from some guy on the internet.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Mika Suomalainen

Old 05-09-2012, 05:14 AM
Pastor JW

On Sunday, May 06, 2012 10:53:50 am Jeffery Small wrote:
> I originally installed Ubuntu on my new laptop. After playing around with
> a number of different desktop managers, I installed and settled on xfce4.
>
> Having installed that package, do I effectively have an Xubuntu system,
> or is there something else that fundamentally separates Xubuntu from stock
> Ubuntu? Thanks.

The thing is what you are thinking is Ubuntu is just the gnome-desktop. xfce-
desktop is also Ubuntu as is the kde-desktop and indeed several others. They
ALL run on the Ubuntu engine. On my machine I have xfce, kde and gnome
however I have only booted into gnome twice since 7.10 (that would be since
Oct of 2007)