Old 05-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Colin Law

Default Installing VirtualBox Guest Additions

HI

I have Installed Ubuntu 11.10 as guest OS in VirtualBox running in
Ubuntu 12.04. I understand that to get the best performance I should
install the Guest Additions, but am not sure of the correct way to do
this, google having found conflicting advise on this for me. For
example [1] provides two different methods, one in the text and
another in the first comment, and when I attempted this some time ago
I think I used another method, which I was never quite sure had worked
properly. What is the recommended way of doing this please?

Colin

[1] http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/06/26/install-virtualbox-guest-additions-on-virtualbox-guests/

Old 05-06-2012, 02:00 PM
"G. "

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> HI
>
> I have Installed Ubuntu 11.10 as guest OS in VirtualBox running in
> Ubuntu 12.04. *I understand that to get the best performance I should
> install the Guest Additions, but am not sure of the correct way to do
> this, google having found conflicting advise on this for me. *For
> example [1] provides two different methods, one in the text and
> another in the first comment, and when I attempted this some time ago
> I think I used another method, which I was never quite sure had worked
> properly. *What is the recommended way of doing this please?
>
> Colin
>
> [1] http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/06/26/install-virtualbox-guest-additions-on-virtualbox-guests/

I am pretty sure that on 11.10 you have to download it from the
virtual box site, and then install it with a double click while in the
guest system. I think installing it from virtual box (Device I think)
just will not work, but you can try that and if it works, you should
be fine. I have used 11.10 as a host not as a guest.

Hope it goes well.

garyk

Old 05-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Mika Suomalainen

06.05.2012 17:00, G. kirjoitti:
> On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>> HI
>>
>> I have Installed Ubuntu 11.10 as guest OS in VirtualBox running
>> in Ubuntu 12.04. I understand that to get the best performance I
>> should install the Guest Additions, but am not sure of the
>> correct way to do this, google having found conflicting advise on
>> this for me. For example [1] provides two different methods, one
>> in the text and another in the first comment, and when I
>> attempted this some time ago I think I used another method, which
>> I was never quite sure had worked properly. What is the
>> recommended way of doing this please?
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> [1]
>> http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/06/26/install-virtualbox-guest-additions-on-virtualbox-guests/
>>

> I am pretty sure that on 11.10 you have to download it from the
> virtual box site, and then install it with a double click while in
> the guest system. I think installing it from virtual box (Device I
> think) just will not work, but you can try that and if it works,
> you should be fine. I have used 11.10 as a host not as a guest.
>
> Hope it goes well.
>

> garyk

I think that the recommended way is to install package
virtualbox-ose-guest-x11.
Many Ubuntu blogs recommend this and they say that Unity works with
that package.

- --
Mika Suomalainen
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 4DB53CFE82A46728
Key fingerprint = 24BC 1573 B8EE D666 D10A AA65 4DB5 3CFE 82A4 6728
http://mkaysi.github.com/

Old 05-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Colin Law

On 6 May 2012 15:56, Mika Suomalainen <mika.henrik.mainio@hotmail.com> wrote:

> 06.05.2012 17:00, G. kirjoitti:
>> On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> HI
>>>
>>> I have Installed Ubuntu 11.10 as guest OS in VirtualBox running
>>> in Ubuntu 12.04. *I understand that to get the best performance I
>>> should install the Guest Additions, but am not sure of the
>>> correct way to do this, google having found conflicting advise on
>>> this for me. *For example [1] provides two different methods, one
>>> in the text and another in the first comment, and when I
>>> attempted this some time ago I think I used another method, which
>>> I was never quite sure had worked properly. *What is the
>>> recommended way of doing this please?
>>>
>>> Colin
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/06/26/install-virtualbox-guest-additions-on-virtualbox-guests/
>>>

>> I am pretty sure that on 11.10 you have to download it from the
>> virtual box site, and then install it with a double click while in
>> the guest system. *I think installing it from virtual box (Device I
>> think) just will not work, but you can try that and if it works,
>> you should be fine. *I have used 11.10 as a host not as a guest.
>>
>> Hope it goes well.
>>

>> garyk
>>

> I think that the recommended way is to install package
> virtualbox-ose-guest-x11.
> Many Ubuntu blogs recommend this and they say that Unity works with
> that package.

Many thanks Mika, installing virtualbox-ose-guest-x11 in the guest
worked perfectly.

Colin

Old 05-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Mika Suomalainen

07.05.2012 14:30, Colin Law kirjoitti:
> On 6 May 2012 15:56, Mika Suomalainen
> <mika.henrik.mainio@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 06.05.2012 17:00, G. kirjoitti:

I am pretty sure that on 11.10 you have to download it from the
>>> virtual box site, and then install it with a double click while
>>> in the guest system. I think installing it from virtual box
>>> (Device I think) just will not work, but you can try that and
>>> if it works, you should be fine. I have used 11.10 as a host
>>> not as a guest.
>>>
>>> Hope it goes well.
>>>

>>> garyk
>>>

>> I think that the recommended way is to install package
>> virtualbox-ose-guest-x11. Many Ubuntu blogs recommend this and
>> they say that Unity works with that package.
>
> Many thanks Mika, installing virtualbox-ose-guest-x11 in the guest
> worked perfectly.
>
> Colin

You're welcome .

- --